Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 AM

17,322 posts, read 13,057,451 times

Advertisements

In this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...revention.html

I was accused of being sexest

I am not. What I said was the truth

Many, if not most, drug reps today are pretty young women. The drug companies have found that young women of a certain look have a much easier time getting the MD's attention for their 30 second sales pitch which leads to more prescriptions being written for the drug that they are pushing during any quarter

Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 AM

669 posts, read 572,546 times
Are you a doctor?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 AM

924 posts, read 1,664,088 times
Hmm, how is this approach working on the 35% of women who are doctors and the 46% of women who are residents? Seems like a bad strategy.

The last time I saw a drug rep at my PCP's office (of 2 male and 1 female doctors), the receptionist told him that the doctors only met with drug reps by appointment and only at certain hours. He seemed annoyed and left without making an appointment.

While your assertions may have been true a decade ago, the industry has changed.

"It's not a Great Time to be a Pharmaceutical Rep" https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2017/04...tical-rep.html

Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,232,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Many, if not most, drug reps today are pretty young women. The drug companies have found that young women of a certain look have a much easier time getting the MD's attention for their 30 second sales pitch which leads to more prescriptions being written for the drug that they are pushing during any quarter
The healthcare future is female

From January to June 2017, athenahealth surveyed 18,000 physicians at 3,500 practices on its network, and determined that more than 60 percent of physicians under the age of 35 are female, while just under 40 percent are male.

All those drug companies might want to change all those drug reps to pretty young men, just saying!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,195,654 times
Quote:

Well, unless the proportion of lesbians is also rising, using pretty young women as drug reps may lose its effectiveness since 60% of the doctors under 35 are women....

I wonder if you even realized there are female doctors?!

Ooops - sorry - I see others have caught you on this as well....

Old 01-06-2019, 09:45 AM

On a serious note, are drug reps even needed any more?

I'm not in healthcare but research and I know several physicians post on here, my question to them is, did a few minute pitch by a rep really make you change your mind one way or another on whether to prescribe or not prescribe a new drug? Wouldn't the drug studies/data speak for itself, no real need to spoon-feed the stuff to the doctor from the salesperson, unless some like that?

I realize the time of a physician is pretty full with seeing patients, updating medical notes, devising new treatment plans, etc., but I would think most physicians try to stay up to date with the latest and greatest in their particular field, reading peer-reviewed journal articles, new drug studies and interacting with other physicians in their field, that the drug rep is a thing of the past. It's not like "back in the day" when journals and drug studies weren't available on-line!

I think the pharmaceutical companies can save money and eliminate all reps and just send out a 5 to 10 slide PowerPoint to the physician via email, if they really wanted to know more about a new drug, that hasn't already been published in peer-reviewed journals.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,573,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

I'm not in healthcare but research and I know several physicians post on here, my question to them is, did a few minute pitch by a rep really make you change your mind one way or another on whether to prescribe or not prescribe a new drug? Wouldn't the drug studies/data speak for itself, no real need to spoon-feed the stuff to the doctor from the salesperson, unless some like that?

I realize the time of a physician is pretty full with seeing patients, updating medical notes, devising new treatment plans, etc., but I would think most physicians try to stay up to date with the latest and greatest in their particular field, reading peer-reviewed journal articles, new drug studies and interacting with other physicians in their field, that the drug rep is a thing of the past. It's not like "back in the day" when journals and drug studies weren't available on-line!

I think the pharmaceutical companies can save money and eliminate all reps and just send out a 5 to 10 slide PowerPoint to the physician via email, if they really wanted to know more about a new drug, that hasn't already been published in peer-reviewed journals.
I think the reps provide samples and other incentives for people to try the drug, which can be helpful. Ideally people should be trying the cheap/inexpensive options first (and most doctors I have will try those), but many will give out a sample of a newer drug first because people don’t want to spend tons of money on something that may not be effective.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think the reps provide samples and other incentives for people to try the drug, which can be helpful. Ideally people should be trying the cheap/inexpensive options first (and most doctors I have will try those), but many will give out a sample of a newer drug first because people don’t want to spend tons of money on something that may not be effective.
Good points, but couldn't they always send "free samples" without the need of a rep?

Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM

5,839 posts, read 6,109,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I can speak specifically to Drug Reps, but there are other Reps as well, and yes, they are a necessary and integral part of the patient care team. I'm thinking of Equipment Reps in Orthopedics, for example. Those folks (the vast majority of whom are male, it seems) work hard and are often on call 24/7. Surgeons will call them directly for equipment needed for specific cases, and it's not unheard of for them to drive to/from warehouses, be there in the OR to set up what's needed, etc. I think there are a lot of specialties and service lines that work similarly with Reps.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:19 AM

4,334 posts, read 4,273,138 times
Quote:

I read that thread and I took the accusation to be a joke. Perhaps I was wrong.
I am a retired physician and I recall the drug reps as a mix of both men and women -- some who had a background in pharmacy, chemistry or biology but mostly just good salespersons with a pretty good expense budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness