U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 AM

7,433 posts, read 3,070,758 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine only buys organic except for desserts . She never bothers to read the ingredients in her purchase of Chocolate cakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM

3,552 posts, read 1,015,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Splena and Nutrasweet are brand names. Sucralose is not. If something is sweet and claims to be sugarless, my first question is always how it got that way. Did it not occur to you to wonder?

I agree that labels are not always as easily interpreted as they should be, but that does not mean you have no share of the responsibility here.
I didn't post this in order to figure out who is to blame.

I was surprised to find out how strange you can feel after taking in artificial crud every day, for months. I started to suspect Sparkling Ice because it was the only thing I had every day, aside from coffee. I already knew coffee doesn't have much effect on me.

I realize there is artificial crud in everything now, but it's a question of what kind and how much. Even organic vegetables have some pesticides.

Imagine if I drank Sparkling Ice, or something else with Splenda, for years or decades. God knows what it does to the body and brain.

I actually had a fuzzy sensation in my brain.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:26 AM

11,241 posts, read 3,135,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I didn't post this in order to figure out who is to blame.

I was surprised to find out how strange you can feel after taking in artificial crud every day, for months. I started to suspect Sparkling Ice because it was the only thing I had every day, aside from coffee. I already knew coffee doesn't have much effect on me.

I realize there is artificial crud in everything now, but it's a question of what kind and how much. Even organic vegetables have some pesticides.

Imagine if I drank Sparkling Ice, or something else with Splenda, for years or decades. God knows what it does to the body and brain.

I actually had a fuzzy sensation in my brain.
I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your intent. I do agree that a lot of the fake stuff that goes into our food cannot possibly be healthy.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:38 AM

371 posts, read 114,022 times
I gave up most artificial sugars years ago, so familiarized myself with their names:

Sucralose
Aspertame
Saccharin
Acesulfame
Neotame
Stevia/Rebaudioside

And then there are the sugar alcohols! Those usually end with an -ol, I often have to google everything I don't recognize just to make sure I'm not ingesting something I don't want to ingest.

Hint: If it's sweet, then there's 'something' in there!

Old 01-08-2019, 05:50 AM

12,614 posts, read 14,847,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I gave up most artificial sugars years ago, so familiarized myself with their names:

Sucralose
Aspertame
Saccharin
Acesulfame
Neotame
Stevia/Rebaudioside

Hint: If it's sweet, then there's 'something' in there!
That "something" could be stevia...which isn't artificial.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:21 AM

70,120 posts, read 80,779,203 times
Quote:
I stopped trusting food companies and the FDA a long time ago. But I still got zapped by an artificial ingredient.

There is a kind of flavored water called Sparkling Ice, which is inexpensive and tastes ok. The ingredients list seems natural and healthy, if you only glance at it.

So I was drinking 2 bottles of that every day, for months. And started getting weird feelings and intestinal problems.

So I thought maybe I should get my better reading glasses and look at that ingredients list again. Sucralose -- is that a natural sweetener? Google, what is it?

Artificial. Ugh.

So of course I stopped drinking that crud and now I feel normal.
I am certainly not a fan or organic everything. In fact I think it is pretty silly and overdone. On the other hand I do not want to put artificial sweeteners in my body; never have. I would rather skip the sweetness or go ahead and use the real thing.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM

3,552 posts, read 1,015,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am certainly not a fan or organic everything. In fact I think it is pretty silly and overdone. On the other hand I do not want to put artificial sweeteners in my body; never have. I would rather skip the sweetness or go ahead and use the real thing.
I am not a fan of organic everything either. It is impossible to avoid all the unnatural toxins in our environment, even if you spend extra time and money on all organic food.

However, we should avoid eating obviously artificial chemicals. I hate the taste of aspartame and seldom drink diet soda. I am not trying to avoid calories anyway.

I never encountered sucralose before, since I don't use artificial sweeteners.

There is a lot of flavored carbonated water in the store that is all natural and supposedly healthy. I assumed Sparkling Ice was just another one of those.

But the healthy ones are usually refrigerated, and Sparkling Ice is not.

So this was the first time I was regularly exposed to an artificial sweetener. Ugh. I was also sneezing a lot the entire time, but that could be a coincidence.

What was definitely not a coincidence was the fuzzy brain feeling. I hate to think what that stuff would do if taken for years or decades.

I really think the epidemic of dementia could be related to artificial chemicals in food. They keep telling us it's because people live longer now, and I think that is BS.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:11 PM

29,043 posts, read 18,382,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
A flavored, sweetened water beverage with ZERO calories and you were somehow suprised that it contained an artificial sweetener???
That was my first thought. I like Sparkling Ice, and for me it is a treat, in place of a soda.... like a year since I've had one though. NEVER thought it was all natural.

My main drink is flavored sparkling water (Kirkland, Spindrift, etc.) most have no to little sugar, are not sweet, and have just slight essence of flavor.

Bottom line: if it is sweet and 0 calories, it has an artificial sweetener.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-08-2019, 03:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 899,013 times
Quote:
I stopped trusting food companies and the FDA a long time ago. But I still got zapped by an artificial ingredient.

There is a kind of flavored water called Sparkling Ice, which is inexpensive and tastes ok. The ingredients list seems natural and healthy, if you only glance at it.

So I was drinking 2 bottles of that every day, for months. And started getting weird feelings and intestinal problems.

So I thought maybe I should get my better reading glasses and look at that ingredients list again. Sucralose -- is that a natural sweetener? Google, what is it?

Artificial. Ugh.

So of course I stopped drinking that crud and now I feel normal.
I have checked ingredients for years now because I want to know how much fat, sugars, and sodium are in my food.

Pointing out here that fruit juices are just as high in sugar as regular soda pop.

Make informed choices, don't just take the popular voice's word for it. Research.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 PM

2,406 posts, read 899,013 times
I have checked ingredients for years now because I want to know how much fat, sugars, and sodium are in my food.

Pointing out here that fruit juices are just as high in sugar as regular soda pop.

It's important to make informed choices. Research if you have doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or