U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM

1,076 posts, read 319,550 times

Advertisements

I had spinal surgery back in April last year and it’s been a tremendous relief. I discovered some months after the back surgery that my left hip and muscles in my left back seem to bother me when I walk very much. It’s possible I had some hip pain all along but it was just buried in the pain from my back, which was occasionally very bad on the left side of my back, through it to my groin. That debilitating pain is gone but I’m wondering about my hip.

It definitely feels like muscle pain because I can even massage sore muscles in the area. Sometimes after walking it stings, again feeling like muscle stuff. I know I had developed a very rigid and protective way of walking with my back problems to try to avoid any unpredictable movements. My wife thinks that I still don’t walk quite normally. I’m wondering if I need to learn to walk again, ha! I plan on asking my doc about physical therapy on my next visit but I was wondering if any people here recovering from a bad back had problems walking afterwards. The only thing I’ve found on line that sounds about right is “piriformis syndrome” but it’s not exactly right either (I don’t have sciatica).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 PM

4,987 posts, read 1,919,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I had spinal surgery back in April last year and itís been a tremendous relief. I discovered some months after the back surgery that my left hip and muscles in my left back seem to bother me when I walk very much. Itís possible I had some hip pain all along but it was just buried in the pain from my back, which was occasionally very bad on the left side of my back, through it to my groin. That debilitating pain is gone but Iím wondering about my hip.

It definitely feels like muscle pain because I can even massage sore muscles in the area. Sometimes after walking it stings, again feeling like muscle stuff. I know I had developed a very rigid and protective way of walking with my back problems to try to avoid any unpredictable movements. My wife thinks that I still donít walk quite normally. Iím wondering if I need to learn to walk again, ha! I plan on asking my doc about physical therapy on my next visit but I was wondering if any people here recovering from a bad back had problems walking afterwards. The only thing Iíve found on line that sounds about right is ďpiriformis syndromeĒ but itís not exactly right either (I donít have sciatica).
The PT sounds like a very good idea. It could be a matter of habit; you "learned" to walk in a manner that avoided back pain, but it wasn't necessarily a manner that was kind to your hips. Your spine affects everything and so does your pelvis. By walking in an unbalanced way you certainly could damage one or both hips or there could be a problem just waiting to be found there too. The PT could analyze the way you walk now and help you retrain yourself mechanically and strengthen those muscles to avoid injury.

I know when my arthritic hip first started bothering me it was more of a muscle ache. The first ortho I went to thought it was due more to a soft tissue injury and started me with PT. Helped for a while. However, a lot of his opinion was probably because of my age and activity level; early 40s, physical job. It got steadily worse over the next few years, but by then I had moved, so went to another ortho practice. During our consultation he asked if I'd ever dislocated my hip. I remembered my parents telling me my hips dislocated during birth, an indicator of dysplasia which would also predispose me to arthritis. By then the arthritis damage was very apparent, so I had the hip replaced. Solved the problem entirely. Of course this is anecdotal. YMMV.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:58 PM

20,428 posts, read 6,789,822 times
It's all connected. I've had back issues starting at 18 and with THR in 2010, back is worse, everything is worse and mostly righted sided where hip was done. So much has been changed with these surgeries.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:36 PM

5,929 posts, read 3,694,343 times
I agree with Parnassia. After my spine surgery I had to learn how to walk properly again, which I did with the help of my trainer. It was easier to utilize her than go to PT since she had some experience with senior rehab.

But a good physical therapist ought to be able to help you. Hopefully you'll be walking pain-free soon.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

1,076 posts, read 319,550 times
Thanks folks, interesting to hear. It sounds like what I’m experiencing might not be that unusual with bad back problems. I will definitely have a long discussion with my doc about it.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

29,021 posts, read 18,357,144 times
Another vote for PT.

DH had a shoulder injury that essentially left him on limited use for a couple years.

Due to inactivity in one shoulder, it made a bunch of pain in other areas (opposite side, neck).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 12:15 AM

38,929 posts, read 45,800,756 times
I tried PT to no avail, made it worse so I ended up with radiofrequency ablation a minimally invasive procedure that destroys the nerve fibers carrying pain signals to the brain. It can provide lasting relief for people with chronic pain, especially in the lower back, neck and arthritic joints. Works well for me, no pain anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or