U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 PM

8,217 posts, read 5,648,401 times

Advertisements

It's that time again

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...old-or-the-flu

Hope that this helps

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

85,657 posts, read 100,040,262 times
I read that article last night on NPR's website, heard it on air this morning. The only beef I have with it is this: "If you're a healthy adult without any chronic health problems, you may instead do fine with merely phoning your doctor, who can quickly prescribe any of several antiviral medications."
Most doctors would want to see the patient first, to make sure s/he has the flu and not just an ILI (influenza-like illness). The only exception might be if the patient had a known exposure to a documented case of flu, e.g. when I had the flu (tested for and documented) my husband called his doctor and got Tamilfu, although come to think of it, that was prophylaxis and not treatment.

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,303,319 times
My daughter was lab tested and diagnosed with Influenza A (Swine Flu?) back in the beginning of September. I was in the car and hotel with her for 2 days. Her husband and young sons never caught the flu from her. All of them got their flu shots in October.

This Christmas she, her husband,sons, older sister, and pregnant SIL all stayed at our house for two days. Christmas night she started feeling sick and nauseous. When she went home she felt worse. Less vomiting but more aches,pains, fever, etc. Went to the doctor. Again, Lab test said Influenza A.

So you are saying that anyone exposed to a confirmed Lab case of Flu needs to go to the doctor, flu shot or not? Everyone at my house should have gone to a doctor because of her flu?

Couple of days later I started sneezing uncontrollably and coughing. Not just a cold? Nothing else at all. Took nothing at all in the day, but eventually it kept me up a night with congestion and cough. OTC Night worked fine.

Then my husband started with the same. He gets his Senior Flu shot every year. Oh, I guess I caught your cold he said. Did NOT say it was the flu either. In fact, he went into the hospital last Thursday for a cardiac procedure. Told his doctor what his symptoms were and doctor just shrugged it off. NO FLU TEST. Had his procedure and is fine. In fact we just finished putting away all our Holiday Decorations inside and outside, climbing on ladders, etc. Could we do this with the FLU?

Personally, I think my daughter needs to find herself a NEW DOCTOR.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

8,578 posts, read 5,391,257 times
Our whole family got the flu this year. It was the first time my youngest has ever had it and the first time I’ve had it since childhood. The first 12 hours were unmistakeable with fever and body aches after a pretty sudden onset. After that it sometimes just felt like a bad cold. The dry cough and the tiredness were the two main things that set it apart. The duration of symptoms from start to finish was two weeks although milder and milder each day. My daughter also had nausea which is more common in children then adults. Not fun but also not the end of the world. We used elderberry, vitamin d and c and lots of tea with lemon, honey and ginger. Never called the doctor but we would have if there were any concerning symptoms.

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

16,757 posts, read 7,448,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It's that time again

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...old-or-the-flu

Hope that this helps
Great article, thanks for posting it.

Iíve boiled this and similar articles down to - if the symptoms are confined to your throat and head, most likely itís a cold. If youíre having symptoms below your neck, especially feeling like youíve just been run over by a truck - most likely, itís the flu.

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

85,657 posts, read 100,040,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter was lab tested and diagnosed with Influenza A (Swine Flu?) back in the beginning of September. I was in the car and hotel with her for 2 days. Her husband and young sons never caught the flu from her. All of them got their flu shots in October.

This Christmas she, her husband,sons, older sister, and pregnant SIL all stayed at our house for two days. Christmas night she started feeling sick and nauseous. When she went home she felt worse. Less vomiting but more aches,pains, fever, etc. Went to the doctor. Again, Lab test said Influenza A.

So you are saying that anyone exposed to a confirmed Lab case of Flu needs to go to the doctor, flu shot or not? Everyone at my house should have gone to a doctor because of her flu?

Couple of days later I started sneezing uncontrollably and coughing. Not just a cold? Nothing else at all. Took nothing at all in the day, but eventually it kept me up a night with congestion and cough. OTC Night worked fine.

Then my husband started with the same. He gets his Senior Flu shot every year. Oh, I guess I caught your cold he said. Did NOT say it was the flu either. In fact, he went into the hospital last Thursday for a cardiac procedure. Told his doctor what his symptoms were and doctor just shrugged it off. NO FLU TEST. Had his procedure and is fine. In fact we just finished putting away all our Holiday Decorations inside and outside, climbing on ladders, etc. Could we do this with the FLU?

Personally, I think my daughter needs to find herself a NEW DOCTOR.
No, I did not say that, and I think you know it. I said people who want Tamiflu will probably have to go to the doctor to get examined/tested. Capiche?

How should I know? I didn't examine any of these people you're posting about.

Old Today, 04:07 PM

5,140 posts, read 6,352,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Our whole family got the flu this year. It was the first time my youngest has ever had it and the first time Iíve had it since childhood. The first 12 hours were unmistakeable with fever and body aches after a pretty sudden onset. After that it sometimes just felt like a bad cold. The dry cough and the tiredness were the two main things that set it apart. The duration of symptoms from start to finish was two weeks although milder and milder each day. My daughter also had nausea which is more common in children then adults. Not fun but also not the end of the world. We used elderberry, vitamin d and c and lots of tea with lemon, honey and ginger. Never called the doctor but we would have if there were any concerning symptoms.
So, did you get a positive flu test? If you didn't get a flu test, you can't say for sure that it was the flu. Even some cold viruses can cause fevers (as can 1,000 other viruses).

Old Today, 07:44 PM

8,578 posts, read 5,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So, did you get a positive flu test? If you didn't get a flu test, you can't say for sure that it was the flu. Even some cold viruses can cause fevers (as can 1,000 other viruses).
It was very obviously the flu. A perfect match in terms of symptoms and duration, including the nausea my youngest experienced and very much in line with the strain circulating in our area. No need to get a test and expose others in the process.

Old Today, 07:55 PM

18,489 posts, read 17,654,105 times
Closed before we enter into a vaccination debate AGAIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or