U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM

1,337 posts, read 695,083 times

Advertisements

I feel like it's the latest buzzword but what does it mean? if someone says "this product reduces inflammation" or "going on the keto diet reduces inflammation" what does that even mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Status: "The best view is after the hardest climb." (set 9 days ago)

42,364 posts, read 33,833,073 times
For me, "inflammation" is very easy to figure out, and pretty easy to get under control unless it gets way out of hand (like for instance, all the horrible food I ate over the Christmas holidays really caused a flare up). I have a joint condition caused by taking Cipro for one week about 8 years ago - my tendons and cartilege are both easily torn or inflamed. It started in my ankles and I had to have both Achilles tendons repaired after they basically disintegrated. They were definitely "inflamed" and my doctor told me then "Your wrists are next." Well, I had a few years of a break but now both wrists are definitely prone to inflammation and pain. This is not arthritis of any sort or carpal tunnel syndrome - I've been tested for all that and all my blood work is normal EXCEPT my platelet count, which is slightly elevated due to (you guessed it) INFLAMMATION. When there is a marked change of weather, or when I eat gluten, or eat items on the list below, my wrists start killing me, absolutely killing me, and you can SEE the inflammation. I also developed some cysts that flare up under the skin.

So inflammation is real, at least it is for me, and for me it isn't even part of a larger health issue - it IS the health issue, or rather the only symptom of joint damage and delicateness from the Cipro antibiotic.

Interestingly, a few years ago I had my DNA tested and it showed that I am not sensitive to dairy products, and apparently I'm not. Thank goodness, because I love me some cheese and yogurt and all that. It was not easy to give up gluten but it's been worth it. But if I had to give up dairy as well, I think my heart would break a little.

I found out what foods trigger inflammation by basically removing ALL potentially problematic foods and introducing them back in one at a time. If I had a reaction, I gave it a rest and tried it again in three days. This was a big ordeal but worth it. And I lost 30 pounds doing it! LOL So there's that.

OK so what causes flare ups with me:

Gluten
Fried foods
Full fat dairy (but there are lots of low fat options out there that taste great to me)
Tomatoes
Red meat
Red wine
Basically I can't have red foods - LOL

And I can actually have a bit of red meat, or processed meats, or tomatoes, or red wine, in small portions. But anything with gluten stirs me up big time. I basically hurt the entire month of December - pretty badly in fact. Got back on the bandwagon January 2nd and I hardly have any pain, and that's with tears in my cartilege in my wrists. So I'm happy.

I say it's not worth it to eat that stuff, but then I did - and I enjoyed it. And I gained ten pounds. And hurt. So I don't know.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:55 AM

3,552 posts, read 1,015,977 times
When any part of the body is damaged, it attempts to repair the damage. Inflammation is part of the repair process. Extra blood is sent to the area, causing redness and swelling, for example.

Inflammation is obviously necessary and healthy. However, inflammation can become chronic and destructive. Instead of the body repairing itself, it can start attacking itself. All autoimmune diseases involved chronic inflammation.

Chronic inflammation can result from a toxic environment, unhealthy lifestyle, etc. Too much is going wrong and needing to be repaired. The immune system gets confused and has trouble differentiating friends from enemies.

The immune system's job is extremely complex. It is not easy to decide which cells and molecules belong in the body, and which need to be destroyed and disposed of. It is a constant challenge, which life depends on.

You could say that life is a constant battle, and a precarious balance. That is why it is so important to avoid interfering with these complex natural processes, unless absolutely necessary.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
When any part of the body is damaged, it attempts to repair the damage. Inflammation is part of the repair process. Extra blood is sent to the area, causing redness and swelling, for example.

Inflammation is obviously necessary and healthy. However, inflammation can become chronic and destructive. Instead of the body repairing itself, it can start attacking itself. All autoimmune diseases involved chronic inflammation.

Chronic inflammation can result from a toxic environment, unhealthy lifestyle, etc. Too much is going wrong and needing to be repaired. The immune system gets confused and has trouble differentiating friends from enemies.

The immune system's job is extremely complex. It is not easy to decide which cells and molecules belong in the body, and which need to be destroyed and disposed of. It is a constant challenge, which life depends on.

You could say that life is a constant battle, and a precarious balance. That is why it is so important to avoid interfering with these complex natural processes, unless absolutely necessary.

Would you consider a head cold "inflammation"? Is that an attack on the immune system?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
For me, "inflammation" is very easy to figure out, and pretty easy to get under control unless it gets way out of hand (like for instance, all the horrible food I ate over the Christmas holidays really caused a flare up). I have a joint condition caused by taking Cipro for one week about 8 years ago - my tendons and cartilege are both easily torn or inflamed. It started in my ankles and I had to have both Achilles tendons repaired after they basically disintegrated. They were definitely "inflamed" and my doctor told me then "Your wrists are next." Well, I had a few years of a break but now both wrists are definitely prone to inflammation and pain. This is not arthritis of any sort or carpal tunnel syndrome - I've been tested for all that and all my blood work is normal EXCEPT my platelet count, which is slightly elevated due to (you guessed it) INFLAMMATION. When there is a marked change of weather, or when I eat gluten, or eat items on the list below, my wrists start killing me, absolutely killing me, and you can SEE the inflammation. I also developed some cysts that flare up under the skin.

So inflammation is real, at least it is for me, and for me it isn't even part of a larger health issue - it IS the health issue, or rather the only symptom of joint damage and delicateness from the Cipro antibiotic.

Interestingly, a few years ago I had my DNA tested and it showed that I am not sensitive to dairy products, and apparently I'm not. Thank goodness, because I love me some cheese and yogurt and all that. It was not easy to give up gluten but it's been worth it. But if I had to give up dairy as well, I think my heart would break a little.

I found out what foods trigger inflammation by basically removing ALL potentially problematic foods and introducing them back in one at a time. If I had a reaction, I gave it a rest and tried it again in three days. This was a big ordeal but worth it. And I lost 30 pounds doing it! LOL So there's that.

OK so what causes flare ups with me:

Gluten
Fried foods
Full fat dairy (but there are lots of low fat options out there that taste great to me)
Tomatoes
Red meat
Red wine
Basically I can't have red foods - LOL

And I can actually have a bit of red meat, or processed meats, or tomatoes, or red wine, in small portions. But anything with gluten stirs me up big time. I basically hurt the entire month of December - pretty badly in fact. Got back on the bandwagon January 2nd and I hardly have any pain, and that's with tears in my cartilege in my wrists. So I'm happy.

I say it's not worth it to eat that stuff, but then I did - and I enjoyed it. And I gained ten pounds. And hurt. So I don't know.

Is there a name for this joint condition?

Old 01-08-2019, 01:18 PM

21,795 posts, read 23,153,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Would you consider a head cold "inflammation"? Is that an attack on the immune system?
A cold isn't inflammation in itself, but the red nose, sore throat, and wheezing coughs that come along with it are kinds of inflammation.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A cold isn't inflammation in itself, but the red nose, sore throat, and wheezing coughs that come along with it are kinds of inflammation.

Right, so you'd say "i have a cold", not "i have inflammation". I guess I'm trying to figure out what it means... it seems like it's a catch all phrase that includes every single ailment.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:10 PM

20,485 posts, read 6,816,100 times
OP: Have you looked up the definition of inflammation. In my body, inflammation = pain.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:40 PM

7,349 posts, read 5,470,541 times
Quote:
No, the immune system attacks the virus. The coughing, the runny nose, the sneezing, are symptoms of the cold. These cause the nasal cavities, the epithelium, your throat, etc, to become inflamed. But that inflammation is generally a by product of your body fighting the virus off.

Quote:
Right, so you'd say "i have a cold", not "i have inflammation". I guess I'm trying to figure out what it means... it seems like it's a catch all phrase that includes every single ailment.
Its a buzzword these days, for sure...Not out of line with things like "Gluten Intolerance." Which is to say its a real thing but without context, its not very meaningful. How would you describe the site of a bee sting? It's inflamed.

If you have Gout, the crystals form in the joint fluid and everything gets inflamed.

Inflammation is a symptom, not a condition in and of itself usually. Though certain autoimmune diseases this isn't the case.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Have you looked up the definition of inflammation. In my body, inflammation = pain.

Ok I just did, I got some more information, found this
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...101#what-it-is

it says "When doctors look for inflammation, they test for a few markers in your blood, including C-reactive protein (CRP), homocysteine, TNF alpha, and IL-6."

So you can actually test for inflammation? I felt like it was a general term that people have started to just throw around randomly even if you just feel tired or something lol, i said to someone i was tired and they said "cut sugar out of your diet, sugar causes inflammation, that's why you're tired". i was like ???? what does that even mean? I keep hearing things like that all the time recently. So I wanted to know what people mean when they use that phrase.

Did that person mean that if I cut out sugar then my blood test will show less of those markers above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness