U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM

4,635 posts, read 7,753,878 times

Advertisements

I love ginger for the taste. So good with green tea, or with food, or just by itself as tea or the tonic (my wife uses an Instapot to make some really spicy/tasty ginger tonic.)

My daughter uses ginger chews for car sickness as well. Great stuff, good to see the health benefits are being confirmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:30 PM

7,825 posts, read 11,479,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's why people drink ginger ale when they're sick. But you have to be careful because only one popular brand even contains ginger! I think it's Canada Dry. And people used to eat candied ginger after a meal as a digestive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, this goes back a very long time. I remember as a kid my doctor used to tell my parents to give me ginger ale for an upset stomach. This was over 60 years ago. Yes, Canada Dry.

I use both a lot of ginger, and garlic, in everything I cook. Fresh, of course.
Ginger is not listed as an ingredient in Canada Dry's Ginger Ale. Moreover, an independent lab confirmed that there was no ginger in it. Nevertheless, Canada Dry claims that ginger is used to create the "natural flavorings" at the bottom of the ingredient list (lol). I seriously doubt there is any health benefit to whatever miniscule - not to mention undetectable - amount of ginger is in their ginger ale.

If you want to drink something with actual ginger in it, drink ginger beer.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:13 PM

29,082 posts, read 18,416,997 times
When I was having stomach problems my Gastro recommended ginger over Rx meds for nausea.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 PM

14,015 posts, read 7,597,104 times
I don't know about particular health benefits but it's great in hot tea - helps your throat and really gives you a nice warm feeling - good if you're having chills, etc. I don't usually have fresh ginger on hand but I have ginger paste that I use for Indian cooking and it's easy to put a teaspoon or so in a cup of tea.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 PM

18,528 posts, read 17,699,510 times
Note: I am not moving this thread to Alt.Med or Supplements. That would be like moving cough drops or cough syrup out of H&W. Ginger has been proven so it's not alternative and it is not a supplement. It is a food.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:46 PM

2,724 posts, read 3,970,246 times
So how do you all actually use the ginger in tea? I have seen the fresh ginger root at the store. Do you peel and then chop it and make tea out of it? Do you also use a tea bag or regular tea?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:10 PM

29,082 posts, read 18,416,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
So how do you all actually use the ginger in tea? I have seen the fresh ginger root at the store. Do you peel and then chop it and make tea out of it? Do you also use a tea bag or regular tea?
Just boil it in water and strain. I use fresh ginger, water, a little lemon and cayenne in the Vitamix and drink it. A local company makes it and sells locally, and I can never quite get mine to taste the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 AM

5,198 posts, read 2,347,490 times
I made dried sweet ginger candy...for my dil when she had nausea early on in her pregnancy. Didn't harm the baby. She said it helped.

I just recently learned it helps with vertigo...as I suffer from menieres complications. It's not a quick fix...usually six to 8 hrs later the wobbliness dissipates.

Ginger is potent on my taste buds...so I usually have to tone it down...

Old 01-10-2019, 05:03 AM

3,311 posts, read 1,351,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Ginger tea is readily available. I drink it regularly when I have stomach/acid issues. It is also supposed to help with headaches/migraines.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 AM

12,167 posts, read 6,329,171 times
I've never decided on the Mary Ann vs Ginger issue.

I have a box of ginger/sugar drink packets I buy in the Asian grocery store. I only use them when I'm ill and need something soothing to get my blood sugar back up after not eating. I got on an airplane for a business trip on Monday morning with a cold and my girlfriend tossed a few in my laptop backpack. Sudafed and water got me there and I was recovered enough that I didn't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness