U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM

29,082 posts, read 18,416,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've never decided on the Mary Ann vs Ginger issue.

I have a box of ginger/sugar drink packets I buy in the Asian grocery store. I only use them when I'm ill and need something soothing to get my blood sugar back up after not eating. I got on an airplane for a business trip on Monday morning with a cold and my girlfriend tossed a few in my laptop backpack. Sudafed and water got me there and I was recovered enough that I didn't want it.
I LOVE those packets. Unfortunately I can no longer drink them as they have too much sugar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM

2,902 posts, read 764,053 times
I use Simply Gum Ginger mints. They have a small amount of sugar so they're a good way to get the ginger without too much sugar. They're tasty too!

Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I use Simply Gum Ginger mints. They have a small amount of sugar so they're a good way to get the ginger without too much sugar. They're tasty too!
But do they have ginger? A lot of ginger "flavored" candies use pepper instead of ginger.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM

8,250 posts, read 5,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's why people drink ginger ale when they're sick. But you have to be careful because only one popular brand even contains ginger! I think it's Canada Dry. And people used to eat candied ginger after a meal as a digestive.
CAnada Dry does. I love Vernor's Ginger Ail and last year when I was sick, It didn't help. MrsM looked at ingredients and saw no ginger

She went to store and bought Canada Dry

Old 01-10-2019, 02:55 PM

657 posts, read 261,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's why people drink ginger ale when they're sick. But you have to be careful because only one popular brand even contains ginger! I think it's Canada Dry. And people used to eat candied ginger after a meal as a digestive.
Yes, and it needs to be real natural Ginger, IMO.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:20 PM

18,528 posts, read 17,699,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes, and it needs to be real natural Ginger, IMO.
I'm not a soda drinker so I don't know about ginger ale but in doing a little bit of reading, it doesn't seem that Canada Dry even contains ginger. They mention something about a natural flavor blend--and it's kept secret--but most of the contents are water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel coloring, and a preservative.

Maybe Canada Dry USED to contain ginger. One article says there used to be a golden Canada Dry and a pale version. The golden contained ginger and that could be where people got the idea that if you wanted ginger ale with actual ginger, it had to be Canada Dry. Now it would have to be some relatively unknown brand or else ginger beer.

Someone has a lawsuit against Canada Dry as of June 2018, claiming it doesn't contain ginger.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 PM

I've found most "ginger" drinks, candies/gum do not contain real ginger. That's why I just use fresh, but it's a pain.

But this thread is a good reminder as my RA is flaring, so I may want to start making it again. Can't hurt.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 PM

14,015 posts, read 7,597,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've found most "ginger" drinks, candies/gum do not contain real ginger. That's why I just use fresh, but it's a pain.

But this thread is a good reminder as my RA is flaring, so I may want to start making it again. Can't hurt.
Get a jar of ginger paste at any Asian store - it keeps very well in the fridge. it's a must if you do any Indian cooking and you don't have to try to keep it fresh and constantly be grating it. It is actually even finer than what you can grate so works better if you're adding to liquids. BTW, it is FAR cheaper, especially if you don't pay a premium price at a regular grocery store.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 PM

7,825 posts, read 11,479,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
CAnada Dry does.
No, it really doesn't. As I noted previously, ginger is not listed as an ingredient in Canada Dry's Ginger Ale. Moreover, an independent lab confirmed that there was no ginger in it. Nevertheless, Canada Dry claims that ginger is used to create the "natural flavorings" at the bottom of the ingredient list (lol). I seriously doubt there is any health benefit to whatever miniscule - not to mention undetectable - amount of ginger is in their ginger ale.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Get a jar of ginger paste at any Asian store - it keeps very well in the fridge. it's a must if you do any Indian cooking and you don't have to try to keep it fresh and constantly be grating it. It is actually even finer than what you can grate so works better if you're adding to liquids. BTW, it is FAR cheaper, especially if you don't pay a premium price at a regular grocery store.
I think that is good advice in most cases.

It's not cheaper here, ginger is in huge heaps in EVERY grocery store, I think Costco sells a big container of organic for like 3 or 4 bucks? Our state is an Asian majority, so everyone uses ginger.

I have found I can put it in the vitamix, whole, no peeling, and it will turn it into almost nothing. Great for smoothies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness