U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 AM

6,575 posts, read 2,326,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's why people drink ginger ale when they're sick. But you have to be careful because only one popular brand even contains ginger! I think it's Canada Dry. And people used to eat candied ginger after a meal as a digestive.
I never knew that only one brand contains real ginger - Canada Dry! Next time, I feel a little nauseous I am going to go drink some of that, actually should have some cans at the ready at home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 AM

29,350 posts, read 18,601,946 times
Apparently it contains a microscopic amount of ginger, and that has been chemically modified.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/30/canada...s-a-sham-suit/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM

9,437 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm not a soda drinker so I don't know about ginger ale but in doing a little bit of reading, it doesn't seem that Canada Dry even contains ginger. They mention something about a natural flavor blend--and it's kept secret--but most of the contents are water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel coloring, and a preservative.

Maybe Canada Dry USED to contain ginger. One article says there used to be a golden Canada Dry and a pale version. The golden contained ginger and that could be where people got the idea that if you wanted ginger ale with actual ginger, it had to be Canada Dry. Now it would have to be some relatively unknown brand or else ginger beer.

Someone has a lawsuit against Canada Dry as of June 2018, claiming it doesn't contain ginger.
You would think that if it didn't contain ginger they'd have to change the name of this drink to something else- like "Unginger Ale", maybe?

Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 AM

7,884 posts, read 11,539,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I never knew that only one brand contains real ginger - Canada Dry! Next time, I feel a little nauseous I am going to go drink some of that, actually should have some cans at the ready at home.

(Three head smacks because this is the third time in this thread that I am pointing out that Canada Dry does not contain any "real" ginger.)

Old 02-02-2019, 08:33 PM

7,412 posts, read 6,900,728 times
Go to an Asian store and buy the Japanese sushi ginger in a jar. It has a very sweet taste. We just started using it to induce swallowing, but it also seems to lower the blood sugar by a significant amount, maybe 20 percent depending on how much you consume. It's usually eaten between pieces of sushi to cleanse the palate. The fasting blood glucose dropped to 95 this morning verus 150 the day before, but some of it was due to her not wanting to eat as much.

Last edited by lchoro; 02-02-2019 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 AM

460 posts, read 135,302 times
I love ginger! Whenever I get sushi, I ask for extra extra ginger. I seriously say "If you think you've brought enough, bring more!" And I eat it all. Yum....

I add ground ginger to a lot of my smoothies as well. So yummy! (and I don't even care that it's healthy, healthy is just a perk for me!)

Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 AM

7,412 posts, read 6,900,728 times
I think that it may be lowering the blood sugar by clearing the mouth and throat of food particles that would remain long after the meal is over and find their way into the stomach.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

523 posts, read 212,952 times
Ginger tea is a common remedy throughout the Caribbean for an upset stomach.

Old Today, 12:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 1,287,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
So how do you all actually use the ginger in tea? I have seen the fresh ginger root at the store. Do you peel and then chop it and make tea out of it? Do you also use a tea bag or regular tea?
It's too hard to peel. I just grate it and toss it in an electric water boiler with a tea bag. When it boils, I turn it off and let it sit for cold tea (or drink hot). Like a finger-tip size piece.

Also add 3X as much into the veg juicer and it tastes great with veg juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness