U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
 
8,237 posts, read 5,662,761 times
Reputation: 15338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
She was taking menthol cough drops before the syrup was prescribed.

She's home and doing somewhat better. Her PT-INR is hovering around 6. She is very dependent on her mom and grandmother. She definitely needs to take charge more.
It's the menthol that's most likely the culprit on the protime changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
 
3,379 posts, read 2,068,383 times
Reputation: 6676
Folks, menthol decreases INR. SC's girlfriend experienced a substantial increase in her INR. So it could not have been the menthol cough drops. My money would still be on the antibiotic and/or a lupus medication. If she was put on a glucocorticoid like prednisone, that could have raised the INR significantly.

https://accpjournals.onlinelibrary.w.../phco.30.1.110
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1345/aph.1E537
https://www.pharmacytimes.com/public...eractions-0510
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
 
1,072 posts, read 663,648 times
Reputation: 2985
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Folks, menthol decreases INR. SC's girlfriend experienced a substantial increase in her INR. So it could not have been the menthol cough drops. My money would still be on the antibiotic and/or a lupus medication. If she was put on a glucocorticoid like prednisone, that could have raised the INR significantly.

https://accpjournals.onlinelibrary.w.../phco.30.1.110
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1345/aph.1E537
https://www.pharmacytimes.com/public...eractions-0510
my guess would be as you suggest along with the possibility of the nausea causing a change in daily diet that resulted in the incr. INR. i.e. eating lesser amounts of vit k containing foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:55 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,361 posts, read 6,554,132 times
Reputation: 13180
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
my guess would be as you suggest along with the possibility of the nausea causing a change in daily diet that resulted in the incr. INR. i.e. eating lesser amounts of vit k containing foods.
And also making sure to remind/inform each healthcare practitioner visited by the OP's girlfriend that she is on coumadin. It doesn't hurt to remind even those practitioners she sees sometimes, but it's essential to inform new practitioners unfamiliar with her health history, they aren't mind readers.

It's an essential part of being a "partner" in one's own health care, and not doing so can, as we have seen, lead to devastating results. And while some people ( I'm not referring to you, OP) seem to welcome opportunities to bash and blame the medical profession every chance they get, it's still the patient who suffers the consequences of medical mishaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:59 AM
 
4,568 posts, read 1,921,555 times
Reputation: 12877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And also making sure to remind/inform each healthcare practitioner visited by the OP's girlfriend that she is on coumadin. It doesn't hurt to remind even those practitioners she sees sometimes, but it's essential to inform new practitioners unfamiliar with her health history, they aren't mind readers.

It's an essential part of being a "partner" in one's own health care, and not doing so can, as we have seen, lead to devastating results. And while some people ( I'm not referring to you, OP) seem to welcome opportunities to bash and blame the medical profession every chance they get, it's still the patient who suffers the consequences of medical mishaps.
+1.

Man....this OP dove head first into this bizarre medical/GF relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top