U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM

5,031 posts, read 6,094,547 times

Advertisements

My husband's doctor wants him to get the vaccines but warned him that he would more than likely feel like he had the flu for a few days and to plan to have the shots on a Friday to recover over the weekend.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM

10,159 posts, read 10,847,740 times
I had my influenza vaccination and my first Shingrix shot on the same day in opposite arms. They were both a bit sore for a day or so, but that was the extent of it. Nothing that would make me think twice about the second Shingrix shot. I've already had shingles and I would not want to have it again.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:44 AM

2,166 posts, read 777,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
My husband's doctor wants him to get the vaccines but warned him that he would more than likely feel like he had the flu for a few days and to plan to have the shots on a Friday to recover over the weekend.

The vaccines activate your immune system, and one would expect the 2nd shot to produce more symptoms than the first--that, after all-- is how immunity works-- a 2nd exposure to the bug brings on a quicker, bigger immune system response.....But everyone is different. It's harder to explain why some of you tough guys didn't experience it that way.

Fever/chills, muscle aches and a general feeling of malaise are symptoms reproduced by taking a shot of Interferon (commonly experienced by those taking it for viral hepatitis, for instance). Interferon is made by our immune systems when they're activated....A lot of the damage done by infections is actually caused by our immune systems reacting to the bug and not by the bug itself.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 PM

20,012 posts, read 13,165,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The vaccines activate your immune system, and one would expect the 2nd shot to produce more symptoms than the first--that, after all-- is how immunity works-- a 2nd exposure to the bug brings on a quicker, bigger immune system response.....But everyone is different. It's harder to explain why some of you tough guys didn't experience it that way.

Well, OK. I like your explanation. My immune system recognized the invaders, and went to work bigtime.

I did say that I had never had a reaction of any type to any previous vaccine. But I didnít think about this vaccine being the second in a series. So thanks for your post.

I feel much better today, by the way. Expect to go back to the gym tomorrow. But arm still is swollen and sore. As other posters have mentioned, this is far easier to go through than a bout of shingles.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 PM

10,613 posts, read 7,706,171 times
I had exactly the same reaction to both my Shingrix shots:
- 1st night: arm soreness, not severe but I did take an advil to to keep the pain from waking me up if I rolled over in my sleep. (I hardly ever take pain killers of any kind)
- 2nd and 3rd days: extreme fatigue, I was just wasted. No pain, chills, nausea, though.
- 4th day: fully recovered and back to normal.

I'd never previously had a reaction to any kind of vaccine before. But glad I got the Shingrix and I'd do it all over again if I had to.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 PM

515 posts, read 677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
....A lot of the damage done by infections is actually caused by our immune systems reacting to the bug and not by the bug itself.
Guido, I donít understand how damage is caused by our immune system reacting to the bug? Isnt that the natural and healthy response of the immune system? To protect our bodies from the bug?

OP, First Shingrix was uneventful outside a little redness and soreness at injection site. I received the second 8 days ago and am just now regaining my strength. I could not get out of bed the next day due to fever, chills, body aches and exhaustion. THen the next day fever was gone but exhaustion, weakness and body aches remained until most of this past weekend. Iím feeling better today but not completely back to normal.
I read online that some folks have had EXTREME negative reactions to this vaccine....terrifying results.....I shouldnít have googled. I justified hope and pray to feel normal again soon.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:03 PM

399 posts, read 245,857 times
I've had only shot #1 so far. Shot # 2 will be in late Feb/early March

About six hours after the shot started feeling bad like I was coming down with something. That continued to get worse and lasted about two days. The third day it was still there but much less

Sore arm. Hurt more than just a normal flu shot. Found it difficult to lay on my left side but otherwise it was no big deal.

The guy at the drug store said most people report the second shot had worse side effects than the first dose but my experience talking to people who have had both indicates that side-effects are all over the map.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:07 PM

146 posts, read 63,054 times
I had the first shot a couple of months ago. I got it Friday afternoon in case of a potential bad reaction - and it was a good thing I had the whole weekend to recover. The Friday was easy peasy, just a bit of arm soreness, even less than the flu shot. After that, though, I had flu-like muscle pain and fatigue for the full weekend. I was pretty much in bed for the duration. Woe!

I'm dreading getting the second shot, and trying to emotionally prepare myself for whatever might ensue. I'm girding my loins haha.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 PM

12,790 posts, read 14,912,491 times
I had a mild stomach ache and loss of appetite and was tired and slept a lot after each vaccine. The first one I had a pretty severe local reaction with swelling and pain in my arm where they gave the injection. The second one I had a lot less of a local reaction. My symptoms lasted a couple of days and then I was fine.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM

356 posts, read 418,448 times
A little tired for awhile. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or