U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 PM

22,046 posts, read 26,898,987 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken Shingrix after previously taking Zostavax? If so, what was your Shingrix experience?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 PM

8,656 posts, read 8,847,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Has anyone taken Shingrix after previously taking Zostavax? If so, what was your Shingrix experience?
I did and the best way I can describe it is that it was a non event except for a sore arm.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 PM

22,046 posts, read 26,898,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I did and the best way I can describe it is that it was a non event except for a sore arm.
Good to know.

I am waiting until the shortage gets better to let folks who have not had Zostavax get a "shot" at it first.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM

18,637 posts, read 17,797,544 times
Quote:
Nothing at all, at least for the first shot. I haven't had the second dose yet.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 PM

20,012 posts, read 13,165,519 times
Quote:
I took Zostavax as soon as it came out, in 2007. Iíve posted uptgread about my experience with Shingrix in first post.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:41 AM

14,891 posts, read 19,127,648 times
Quote:

I had the Zostavax injection a few years ago and recently got both Shingrix shots. No reaction at all to any of them -- but, then, I never have any reaction to any injections, flu or pneumonia, either.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM

9,678 posts, read 20,617,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I hope some of you can share your experience. I got the second shot yesterday, and I am wiped out today. I checked online; I think my side effects—fatigue, chills, arm pain, muscle pain—are in line with what I read. My first Shingrix produced only arm pain. I’ve never had a reaction to a vaccine before, ever.

What has your experience with Shingrix (the latest shingles vaccines) been? How long did you feel bad, if you did?

Please, please, do not post anti vaccine posts. Mods will close the thread. This thread is NOT about your feelings about vaccines. Thank you.
I have to get the vaccine and am petrified of side effects so thanks for the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My brother had a similar reaction to the first shot as your own Silibran. It was bad enough he called me to let me know, as I have been trying to find a doctor who has it available. He said the 2nd dose was not as bad, but he still didn't feel terrific for a couple of days. A friend had the same experience. I have been trying to get it after 3 bouts of shingles in my eye. I take Valacyclovir daily, and would love to get off it. Yesterday the doctor told me even if I get the vaccine I can't stop the pills, as they don't cure shingles, only prevent an outbreak. Since the virus can be dormant in my eye, I need the pills. I'm rethinking getting the vaccine at all.
Was it in your eye or eye lid like me? Very painful head/eye ache. Even with pain meds I wanted to blow my brains out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I was wondering what was wrong with me and now I know, so thanks for this thread.

I got the second shot Oct. 22. I felt fine for several weeks. About 5 weeks ago I began having bad shoulder pain in the shot site, arm pain, joint pain everywhere, and a feeling of being unwell. The joint pain makes it very hard to get out of bed and my usual Tylenol does very little to help, as before. I do have arthritis, but was never this bad before.

In addition, my fingers are swelling and the joints hurt. Also my left foot is not itself. I woke up one night with very bad muscle pain on the top side of the foot.
Apparently this is all nerve pain, which I never anticipated. The first shot was ok. This one is very very different.

I pray this goes away before gardening season, because I will never be able to plant anything in the shape I am in now.
I do believe my strange reaction was not typical, so don't be swayed. It's just my body that reacts crazy to some meds, some allergens, foods, smells, etc.

I probably should have considered that before doing the second shot.
I have no choice but to get the vaccine as I've had shingles on my left eye lid; it was so close they worried I'd lose my eye.

My body is the same way, I have weird reactions to everything. My pain management doctor didn't believe me as I was 3rd year seeing her and 12 years with another doctor who tried just about everything. I swear she used to chuckle as I told her about my reactions. She'd say that's not even listed as a side effect!

So I took an antidepressant that made me break out in tears.She then had me take Lyrica, I'd already tried Neurontin with my other doctor. She started me on the lowest dose or what she told me was the lowest.. After a week I felt like I had acid going thru my veins on my left side. I don't know if it was nerve pain or what but would you believe it took a year to get rid of the side effect? With Neurontin I lost my mind. I went to DMV with my son and forgot why I was there. He said you're holding the paperwork in your hand lol That took a year to even out. I used to be able to take morphine until she prescribed an extended release one that closed my throat. Needless to say my PM doctor now won't change my meds.

I also can't take steroids. I was seeing another GP because mine was busy. I see a university doctor (both GP and PM) I told the student that I can't take steroids. She got the head doctor who laughed in my face saying there's no way anyone is allergic to steroids. I humored her, ended up with an ulcerated esophagus. I'll never see that teacher doctor again, have her name written down in case I forget her name.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have to get the vaccine and am petrified of side effects so thanks for the thread!

Was it in your eye or eye lid like me? Very painful head/eye ache. Even with pain meds I wanted to blow my brains out.

I have no choice but to get the vaccine as I've had shingles on my left eye lid; it was so close they worried I'd lose my eye.

My body is the same way, I have weird reactions to everything. My pain management doctor didn't believe me as I was 3rd year seeing her and 12 years with another doctor who tried just about everything. I swear she used to chuckle as I told her about my reactions. She'd say that's not even listed as a side effect!

So I took an antidepressant that made me break out in tears.She then had me take Lyrica, I'd already tried Neurontin with my other doctor. She started me on the lowest dose or what she told me was the lowest.. After a week I felt like I had acid going thru my veins on my left side. I don't know if it was nerve pain or what but would you believe it took a year to get rid of the side effect? With Neurontin I lost my mind. I went to DMV with my son and forgot why I was there. He said you're holding the paperwork in your hand lol That took a year to even out. I used to be able to take morphine until she prescribed an extended release one that closed my throat. Needless to say my PM doctor now won't change my meds.

I also can't take steroids. I was seeing another GP because mine was busy. I see a university doctor (both GP and PM) I told the student that I can't take steroids. She got the head doctor who laughed in my face saying there's no way anyone is allergic to steroids. I humored her, ended up with an ulcerated esophagus. I'll never see that teacher doctor again, have her name written down in case I forget her name.
Does your doc recommend getting Shingrix? You might ask the doc if any of the substances in the shot are things you have been exposed to in the past that have caused allergic reactions. I am suggesting that you might want more info about the vaccine before getting it. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 PM

13,874 posts, read 11,031,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Does your doc recommend getting Shingrix? You might ask the doc if any of the substances in the shot are things you have been exposed to in the past that have caused allergic reactions. I am suggesting that you might want more info about the vaccine before getting it. Good luck.
Yesterday I had a yearly checkup. I asked if there were any shots that I needed or were recommended. I did get a tetanus shot but when I asked about the new Shingrix immunization they told me that they did not have enough vaccine. They told me the supplies have been low and that they only have enough to administer the second shot to those that need it. I see that it has been a persistent challenge to meet demand: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/shingrix...to-get-it-now/.

I did have the Zostavax and I will get the new vaccination as soon as possible. I have never had any serious problems with allergic reactions.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yesterday I had a yearly checkup. I asked if there were any shots that I needed or were recommended. I did get a tetanus shot but when I asked about the new Shingrix immunization they told me that they did not have enough vaccine. They told me the supplies have been low and that they only have enough to administer the second shot to those that need it. I see that it has been a persistent challenge to meet demand: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/shingrix...to-get-it-now/.

I did have the Zostavax and I will get the new vaccination as soon as possible. I have never had any serious problems with allergic reactions.
I got my Shingrix at Walgreens. CVS had them too. Walgreens is supposed to notify your doc after administering the shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or