U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There are other treatments for chronic pain than opioids.
I have tried just about everything (not marijuana - not legal in one of my States). Massage and wet heat (hot tub) work well, but I cannot have so someone massage me all day (I wish) or stay in the hot tub (ditto the wish).

I have tried meditation, biofeedback, acupuncture, hypnosis (laughable), herbal regimens and other things that I have forgotten over the decades of pain.

You know what works? Opioids. Not by mouth or even by transdermal patch, but by continuous infusion (with a bolus every 4 hours) directly into my spinal cord. This doesn't remove the pain, but brings it down to a 3 or 4. A 10 is reserved for the aftermath of abdominal surgery (the removal of my intestines; at least 5 surgeries).

I have been open to alternate therapies and meds; so far none have brought the relief of pain needed for any sort of quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

42,605 posts, read 50,729,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That may be true in some cases but not all. Some people depend on opioids to take away chronic debilitating pain.
Yes.
But it's a little strange that it's a far huger number in this country.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

32,278 posts, read 9,553,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem is -- there's pain and then there's suffering.

Theoretically, a mosquito bite should elicit the same amount of pain in everybody, but in reality, some people will suffer more with it than others. The pain signal is a simple reflex arc, while the suffering involves a complex web of neurologic activity in the brain.

Fancy-schmancy CT scans can see that some people have larger, more involved responses in the brain than others....So now the geniuses are proposing to do $1000 brain scans just so they don't have to listen to the patient who is telling them how much it hurts and what the CT will look like.

It's THE PATIENT's pain-- NOT the doctor's. Perception is reality.

^^
This.

Pain is subjective.

And the fact that "some people lie" to abuse opioids shouldn't be used as a roadblock to treat other peoples pain. We already have that crapulence established for friggin' cold and allergy meds, now hidden behind the counter, requiring tracking and logging of legitimate users because some are making methamphetamines--which is STILL happening, BTW.

Suffering patients don't need a scan or computer model to tell them--or their doctors--that they're in pain. And they shouldn't be denied that relief because of unscrupulous drug abusers and addicts.

Old Today, 04:11 AM

2,096 posts, read 751,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.
But it's a little strange that it's a far huger number in this country.

Codeine & hydrocodone are available OTC in every other country in the world.

There are no simple answers to the complex problem of drug abuse. There are psychological, genetic, political & economic factors involved, and our country is unique in the world in these respects.

Cf- attitudes about and problems from alcohol-- early introduction to drinking wine in France, where alcoholism among kids is a national disgrace vs same early intro in Italy where alcoholism is uncommon vs the US where Victorian attitudes & prohibition based on age prevail and drinking (& drug use) is glamorous to teens.

Figure it out..

It's uncommon, although not rare, for patients treated for chronic pain to become addicted or to turn to stronger street drugs. Most people who wind up with problems started on drugs for recreational purposes.

Old Today, 10:01 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,497,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Codeine & hydrocodone are available OTC in every other country in the world.
Not true.

Old Today, 02:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 8,813,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.apnews.com/c75e6a1185024a7c8892dacf56e6e308

Having dealt with severe pain patients for years, both as a pharmacist and as in sales and marketing for several TENS companies, I hope they find a way soon!
I doubt this will ever work. The sensation that one person recognizes as pain may be felt as pleasure to another. Human subjectivity is a huge factor in determining what is felt as pain and how severe it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or