U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
 
142 posts, read 56,333 times
Reputation: 310

Advertisements

What weight is she down from?

Hard to say. I was always a skinny kid (yes, "underweight" BMI, yes I was perfectly healthy), and yeah, I've had people assume I was unhealthy before. So I'm loathe to say she's definitely too thin, because some people just...are the way they are. But if people have noticed she's lost weight, that tells me it isn't just "the way she has always been" and that is a reason to start thinking about it. (I also get the "eating more healthy" thing. Shortly after my coworker stopped consistently bringing candy and snacks to work to share, my mom noted I was thinner and that she was worried. I pointed out to her that that was because I didn't spend all day eating as much crap...)

My other thought is that if she's a gymnast and such, I'd expect her to be pretty muscular... which should bring her weight up even if she's thin (this can be negotiable depending on her body type, of course, and if she's a "hard gainer" it may even be that she's strong without being really visibly muscular like she would be if she had a naturally more athletic build).

And here's the other thing... if she is this active, she may need to eat more. You can't become significantly more athletic and keep eating what you did when you weren't. You simply need more calories. So if she is indeed watching what she's eating, she might worry about eating more than when she wasn't so active, but in reality her body may need that.

Does she menstruate? (At this age, even if she hasn't started, that's not necessarily abnormal. But, if she has already started and has stopped, that could be concerning.)

How much does she eat when you see her (breakfast, dinner)? Do you know if she skips lunch at school? When you do see her eat, does she go to the bathroom or anything immediately after?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Reading this thread, I could see for 5 ft a weight of about 100 lbs.
You could, but she could weigh less and still be healthy. It all depends on the person and their body type.

 
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,843 posts, read 3,528,691 times
Reputation: 13073
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
http://https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hea...MI/bmicalc.htm

Her BMI is 14.6 and anything under 18.5 is considered underweight. She'd need to be 95 pounds to be in the "normal" range - that is a huge difference. Being an athlete may be having an impact but I think she should get a checkup with her doc.
Thank you, but all the other website I found show that BMI at 15 is considered normal range which is 76 lbs. Anything under is underweight. I've seen a few websites that state this. For her to be at 95lbs, she would need to gain 20lbs! That seems too much for her.

That link you put on your post didn't work.

Last edited by CGab; Yesterday at 06:13 PM..
 
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,843 posts, read 3,528,691 times
Reputation: 13073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It's good that she's eating healthier, but adding Ensure Plus is adding more crap. One 8 ounce bottle of Ensure Plus has 20 g sugar. That is just under 5 teaspoons.

She's 12 and only one pound under. You are overreacting.

I saw the nutritional value. It also has 51 grams of carbs. I honestly didn't think too much of her weight until people started bringing it to my attention.

Last edited by CGab; Yesterday at 06:13 PM..
 
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,843 posts, read 3,528,691 times
Reputation: 13073
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
According to the CDC Child and Teen BMI calculator, her BMI is 13.7. That is extremely underweight.

Of course I can't say for sure, but I used to be a cheerleader. And I used to have an eating disorder. They are extremely common in both sports she participates in. I know you say she eats, but I can tell you that I was very, very good at hiding my ED.

I would get her in to see her pediatrician ASAP. She is not just skinny, she is dangerously underweight. Generally the only way to be that underweight is if you have a medical condition or an eating disorder.
What are you talking about? Maybe you didn't put in her stats right. I just went to the CDC website for teen BMI calculation. To calculate her BMI she's 75lbs. 60 inches tall, 12 years 10 months old, GIRL = 14.6 BMI

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/bm...ches=60&twp=75


According to that website, 78lbs puts her in the healthy weight range. That's only 3 lbs. I think if I can get her to 80 she would be good. I want to tread lightly because I don't want it to become an issue with her. She was already asking me why I was weighing her. I told her that I notice she lost a few pounds, probably because of the braces. That's all. However, I also told her that she needed the shakes for the vitamins because of gymnastics/cheer. She was fine with that.

Someone asked how much did she lose due to the braces? I believe only 2lbs because she was sick right before that and the clinic I took her to weighed her in at 77lbs at the time. They didn't say anything about her weight, but it was just a clinic, not her pediatrician. She has always been real thin. Both of my girls are, but I also know she's had a growth spirt recently too as she's almost as tall as me (not saying much, lol). I was also very thin when I was young. Besides that, she is a very healthy girl and always has been.


I do appreciate everyone's posts. Thank you

Last edited by CGab; Yesterday at 06:24 PM..
 
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,937 posts, read 26,774,809 times
Reputation: 27287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
What are you talking about? Maybe you didn't put in her stats right. I just went to the CDC website to calculate her BMI, it's 14.6. She 75lbs. 60 inches tall, 12 years 10 months old GIRL = 14.6 BMI

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/bm...ches=60&twp=75


According to that website, 78lbs puts her in the healthy weight range. That's only 3 lbs.
From your own link:

"Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 14.6, placing the BMI-for-age at the 2nd percentile for girls aged 12 years 10 months. This child is underweight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment to determine possible causes of underweight."

You should go by her actual weight, not a hypothetical one that is three pounds higher.
 
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Central IL
14,016 posts, read 7,591,185 times
Reputation: 32676
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Thank you, but all the other website I found show that BMI at 15 is considered normal range which is 76 lbs. Anything under is underweight. I've seen a few websites that state this. For her to be at 95lbs, she would need to gain 20lbs! That seems too much for her.

That link you put on your post didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
What are you talking about? Maybe you didn't put in her stats right. I just went to the CDC website for teen BMI calculation. To calculate her BMI she's 75lbs. 60 inches tall, 12 years 10 months old, GIRL = 14.6 BMI

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/bm...ches=60&twp=75


According to that website, 78lbs puts her in the healthy weight range. That's only 3 lbs. I think if I can get her to 80 she would be good. I want to tread lightly because I don't want it to become an issue with her. She was already asking me why I was weighing her. I told her that I notice she lost a few pounds, probably because of the braces. That's all. However, I also told her that she needed the shakes for the vitamins because of gymnastics/cheer. She was fine with that.

Someone asked how much did she lose due to the braces? I believe only 2lbs because she was sick right before that and the clinic I took her to weighed her in at 77lbs at the time. They didn't say anything about her weight, but it was just a clinic, not her pediatrician. She has always been real thin. Both of my girls have, but I also know she's had a growth spirt as she's almost as tall as me (not saying much, lol). I was also very thin when I was young.
Sounds like everything is fine...I forget why you posted?
 
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,843 posts, read 3,528,691 times
Reputation: 13073
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Reading this thread, I could see for 5 ft a weight of about 100 lbs.
I was a cheerleader in H.S and when I graduated I was 95 lbs and mostly muscle (those were the days). I'm 5'1.
 
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
 
Location: STL area
833 posts, read 400,905 times
Reputation: 1779
Talk to her doctor about this. People tend to under appreciate the risks of being underweight and over appreciate the risks of being a little overweight. Underweight is LESS healthy than slightly over. 3 lbs is a lot at her small size as well. I have a boy a little more than a year younger (11.5), about the same height and a few lbs heavier (78-79). He's always been just over that underweight mark and I have to watch him, he doesn't like to eat. There are things you can do though besides ensure shakes. You can make healthy smoothies and add healthy fats to them, for instance. With her being so active and the sports she is in, she should have some muscle adding weight to her as well, which makes the low weight even more concerning. Make sure she's eating enough to make up for all she's burning and that she's eating the right types of foods. She's naturally thin and I would expect her to stay that way if genetics favors that, but I'd still get this all checked out.
 
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,843 posts, read 3,528,691 times
Reputation: 13073
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your own link:

"Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 14.6, placing the BMI-for-age at the 2nd percentile for girls aged 12 years 10 months. This child is underweight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment to determine possible causes of underweight."

You should go by her actual weight, not a hypothetical one that is three pounds higher.
I know she underweight. My questions is, since she's so close to the "normal" range am I doing the right things by keeping track of what she's eating and giving her these nutritional shakes to see if she gains in the next month or jump the gun and bring her to see her doctor right away?
 
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Status: "Welcome Governor Polis!" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,700 posts, read 100,126,654 times
Reputation: 32149
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I know she underweight. My questions is, since she's so close to the "normal" range am I doing the right things by keeping track of what she's eating and giving her these nutritional shakes to see if she gains in the next month or jump the gun and bring her to see her doctor right away?
Take her to the doctor at your earliest convenience. I wouldn't call it "jumping the gun". The gymnastics coach is concerned; another mom is concerned. The doctor may want you to do food diaries and the like, but she needs to be seen. Start with your ped/family doctor. She may need to see a specialist. That can take some time.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; Yesterday at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top