U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:16 AM

21,937 posts, read 26,774,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Katrina, you quoted her being in the 30th percentile for weight, but you cannot quote this without quoting her percentile for HEIGHT as well.

My 5 year old grandson is in the 25th percentile for weight for his AGE. Grossly underweight? No, because his HEIGHT in also in the same range percentile. He is very SHORT for his age. In fact his 3 year old brother can wear his clothes because his height, and weight, percentiles are above average. There is only a couple of pounds difference between the two of them. How can a 5 year old weight only 3 pounds pounds more than a 3 year?????

To put this in perspective, I am a size 0 and weigh more or less 100 lbs, but I am barely over 5 feet. Want to compare my weight to a 5'10 super model weighing the same 100 lbs., and also a size 0?

You have to factor in height with weight. What is this girl's 5' height percentile? Is that in the 50% percentile range for her age? I know when I worked in public schools the majority of 12 year old girls towered over me. Has the OP's daughter gone through puberty yet? You need to factor that in as well, for both height and weight.
Katarina did factor in height. The percentile quoted is for BMI, not weight:

"Allow me to point out your daughter was much heavier for her height than this child. Here's what the CDC calculator (above) says about a 14 year old who is 5"4 and 105#: "Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 18, placing the BMI-for-age at the 31th percentile for girls aged 14 years. This child has healthy weight."

BMI = weight divided by the square of height.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

85,700 posts, read 100,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Katarina did factor in height. The percentile quoted is for BMI, not weight:

"Allow me to point out your daughter was much heavier for her height than this child. Here's what the CDC calculator (above) says about a 14 year old who is 5"4 and 105#: "Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 18, placing the BMI-for-age at the 31th percentile for girls aged 14 years. This child has healthy weight."

BMI = weight divided by the square of height.
Thank you suzy! I saw Jo's post as I was sitting in a boring church meeting. I was composing my response as I drove home, just got here and saw that you had already responded.

Jo, if you had actually read my post instead of skimming and jumping on your keyboard to tell me how wrong I was, you would not have fulfilled a Bible prophesy: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/17/remain-silent/ Not to mention Mark Twain and Abraham Lincoln.

Old Today, 12:56 PM

85,700 posts, read 100,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Several of us have pointed out that the OP's logic is not really sound on this issue and also pulled out various BMI calculators that are in agreement - OP just doesn't want to hear it.
Just adding my voice to the choir, hopefully with a little of my wisdom of having dealt with this problem personally and professionally.

Do you have a problem with that? Are you a mod?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; Today at 01:27 PM..

Old Today, 02:02 PM

8,397 posts, read 7,707,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They've already determined the girl has a raging eating disorder that can only be solved by medical and psychiatric intervention. As well as determined that the mom is a complete idiot who knows nothing about her own daughter./shrug/

It's like some people feel powerful only when pointing out how sick they ASSUME others are. It's weird. I know people like that who only have friends with major problems as it makes them feel better about them selves.
I don't think this is anything like what you are saying.

The bottom line is that it is going to be a lot easier to fix this now IF there is an actual problem then two months down the road.

In this particular situation, better to be overly cautious.

Eating disorders last decades and cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars not to mention the long term health problems they cause.

Old Today, 02:05 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,811,640 times
A few years back, we sat at a table at a wedding where we didn't know anyone. One of the women looked familiar and I asked her where she worked... Nope, that's not where her face was familiar.

What high school did you go to? BINGO! It ended up that she was a year ahead of me and a cheerleader. This short, extremely chubby woman used to be a sweet, petite, THIN cheerleader years ago. OMG, I knew the face but the body!! I was in shock. I found it very sad that she completely let herself go.

Don't worry OP. Keep watch on her that she doesn't become bulimic or have anorexia, but if she's eating properly to keep up the calorie count that she loses from being so active, you have nothing to worry about.

Old Today, 02:27 PM

14,016 posts, read 7,591,185 times
Quote:
They've already determined the girl has a raging eating disorder that can only be solved by medical and psychiatric intervention. As well as determined that the mom is a complete idiot who knows nothing about her own daughter./shrug/

It's like some people feel powerful only when pointing out how sick they ASSUME others are. It's weird. I know people like that who only have friends with major problems as it makes them feel better about them selves.
OP was the one asking questions. <shrug>

You do what makes YOU feel good and worry less about others.

Old Today, 03:24 PM

5,181 posts, read 1,699,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't think this is anything like what you are saying.

The bottom line is that it is going to be a lot easier to fix this now IF there is an actual problem then two months down the road.

In this particular situation, better to be overly cautious.

Eating disorders last decades and cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars not to mention the long term health problems they cause.
And being overly cautious, scrutinizing her, criticizing her body, forcing her to drink Ensure (which is crap), taking her for medical visits wear others will scrutinize her and ask tons of invvasive questions will draw more attention to her body and possibly cause an eating disorder. Continued comments about how skinny or fat a girl is can be extremely damaging. Quite frankly, any girl who willingly drinks ensure doesn;t have an eating disorder. She would absolutely refuse because of all the calories.

Focus on her health. She IS eating. she is also eating healthy foods. As long as she isn't losing weight or getting sick? LEAVE HER ALONE. If anything changes, then look at next steps.

BTW, at a local gymnastic place, all the women are former competitive gymnasts and all are overweight. After they stop competing and working out their metabolisms turn to absolute crap. I was shocked when I saw them, and someone told me it's pretty common.

Old Today, 03:26 PM

5,776 posts, read 3,310,078 times
My daughter's teammate lost 15 lbs. when she stopped playing sports. Eating disorder afterwards? No, because she lost all her MUSCLE weight after sports. You do know that muscle weighs more than fat? This is one reason why athletes can have a higher BMI than just regular people. It is also a problem with BMI.

Susie and Katrina have you ever heard of WH measurements? That public school where I worked not only did BMI for staff for their Wellness Program, but Waist and Hip Measurements. BMI is not enough of an indicator apparently.

For a female past puberty her waist measurement needs to be at least 8 inches smaller than her hip measurement.

So go try this for you women on here, including our medical professionals. If your waist is not 8 inches smaller than your waist, then you are also overweight and unhealthy, even if you BMI says you aren't. Apple shape (unheallthy) versus Pear shape (healthy).

This may be a bit OT from original post, but it goes to the same mindset; perfect people according to charts and science.

Old Today, 03:30 PM

5,181 posts, read 1,699,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter's teammate lost 15 lbs. when she stopped playing sports. Eating disorder afterwards? No, because she lost all her MUSCLE weight after sports. You do know that muscle weighs more than fat? This is one reason why athletes can have a higher BMI than just regular people. It is also a problem with BMI.

Susie and Katrina have you ever heard of WH measurements? That public school where I worked not only did BMI for staff for their Wellness Program, but Waist and Hip Measurements. BMI is not enough of an indicator apparently.

For a female past puberty her waist measurement needs to be at least 8 inches smaller than her hip measurement.

So go try this for you women on here, including our medical professionals. If your waist is not 8 inches smaller than your waist, then you are also overweight and unhealthy, even if you BMI says you aren't. Apple shape (unheallthy) versus Pear shape (healthy).

This may be a bit OT from original post, but it goes to the same mindset; perfect people according to charts and science.
The height and weight charts were made by life insurance companies anyway. Most people do not know that physicians had nothing to do with it.

Old Today, 04:12 PM

708 posts, read 257,174 times
Quote:
And being overly cautious, scrutinizing her, criticizing her body, forcing her to drink Ensure (which is crap), taking her for medical visits wear others will scrutinize her and ask tons of invvasive questions will draw more attention to her body and possibly cause an eating disorder. Continued comments about how skinny or fat a girl is can be extremely damaging. Quite frankly, any girl who willingly drinks ensure doesn;t have an eating disorder. She would absolutely refuse because of all the calories.

Focus on her health. She IS eating. she is also eating healthy foods. As long as she isn't losing weight or getting sick? LEAVE HER ALONE. If anything changes, then look at next steps.

BTW, at a local gymnastic place, all the women are former competitive gymnasts and all are overweight. After they stop competing and working out their metabolisms turn to absolute crap. I was shocked when I saw them, and someone told me it's pretty common.
Yes! Great post.

The last bit is also true of the competitive figure skaters I've known. They spent their child/teen years desperately trying to keep their weight down, and once they stop competing and get older things change big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness