U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:32 PM

5,283 posts, read 4,489,204 times

Advertisements

A colonoscopy is no big deal. It's the thought of it more than the reality that freaks people out. I've had them, DH has to have them every 3 years. It's no big deal. You just drink lots of water, apple juice, or 7 up for a day while taking a funky tasting glass of laxative, and then get some diarrhea for a few hours. Next morning go to the hospital, lay down, they stick you with an IV that puts you right to sleep, wake up a few minutes later, get dressed leave the hospital, and go have a big lunch. But watch out for some pretty funny farts for about an hour!

Just get it over with. Then you'll 1) know what's going on, and 2) hopefully get some relief from your itchy butt and find out if tummy pain was just some bad shrimp. I'm thinking 99% it's hemmys, but just better to know.

I'd rather deal with anything from a position of knowledge, and not fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 02:23 PM

15,431 posts, read 7,980,435 times
Dollar store toilet paper. I think its made from recycled fiberglass. Also, once found a large sliver of wood in better paper. Get the real good stuff. Seriously.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 AM

70,427 posts, read 81,381,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I had a friend who died of colon cancer at the age of 19.

GET THE COLONOSCOPY!!!!
I think we all can remember a particular situation but the chances are slim to almost none the OP has anything to worry about. What he is going through sounds more like an inconvenience than a serious ailment. SOme doctors believe in more aggressive treatments than other doctors. This is not to say, he should not have a colonoscopy but it is to say another opinion would be a good idea.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM

5,021 posts, read 3,144,075 times
Some blood at the rectum appears when one has an anal fissure (slight breaking of the skin) and when one has a hemorrhoid. Neither an anal fissure nor a hemorrhoid are serious. Use hemorrhoid cream, vaseline, antibiotic cream on the anus to heal both - and perhaps a suppository to heal an anal fissure or hemorrhoid which may be into the rectum a bit.

Also there is a product called Cologuard where you take a simple stool sample and send it in to a lab - and it tells you whether you have colon cancer or not. Most or many insurance companies cover the cost. One gets a prescription/order form for Cologuard from a doctor, you mail the order form, and the Cologuard is mailed to you and you send in the stool sample. This product has excellent reliability.

I realize Cologuard does not show polyps, but at such a young age, it's okay. Many doctors over-prescribe colonoscopies - colonoscopies keep gastro-enterologists in business and in money-making.

There is also a virtual colonoscopy where imaging and images are taken - and no tube goes up the rectum.
Even President Obama had a virtual colonoscopy as an alternative. While Cologuard is covered by many or most insurance companies, virtual colonoscopy is not covered as widely - but more insurance companies are catching on.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-16-2019 at 04:43 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 22 times
Default re: colonoscopy

Hi there,
I suffer with extreme hemmoroids as well. So much so I avoid the doctors because if they even touch the area I would loose my mind. I too was asked to have a colonoscopy. The thing is, it's a pretty mild procedure in the whole scheme of things. The reasons would be to look for internal hemmoroids....to see if there are ulcers or polyps or evidence that they could be caused from something like IBS etc. It's actually a fairly good thing. Do it, don't. I missed mine too! But I've suffered for at least a decade and I actually fear going to the bathroom. It's extremely embarrassing....say in a relationship....and also I'm always sitting on ice packs. I've tried a lot. I had some foam prescribed to me....but it just exacerbated things.

I looked up the ingredients in prep h wipes. It's 5% witch hazel. They are costly as as sometimes I'm in the BR like 8 times a day....only on occasion...well I go thru them fast. I ordered 100% witch hazel from amazon....I wet some cotton or paper towel and put some of the witch hazel on....every time. I am telling you it's been amazing. Within like 3 days things are so much better! Just wanted to share that. Better than any prescription I could ever get. I do have itching, but pain is my main symptom. So anti-itching creams are fairly easy. Hope that helps. Oh I'll send the link for the purchase on Amazon.
Link removed because you are too new to post links.

Last edited by in_newengland; Yesterday at 10:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

21,124 posts, read 7,114,378 times
I've been able to control my hems I had for many years. Getting to be regular with quality magnesium has turned my life around. I've never done a colonoscopy, my choice, and I'm over 80, I choose to work on the hem issue on my own and there are many info links about this issue.

And there are quality creams and some are homeopathic which I choose.

Consuming enough clean water thru the day and good veggies don't hurt.

Old Today, 01:16 PM

9,485 posts, read 6,660,480 times
Colonoscopies are not for diagnosis or treatment of hemorhoids. It may be that internal hemorrhoids are found and treated, if they're bleeding significantly or painful, during a colonoscopy, but a colonoscopy is intended for screening, diagnosis, or treatment of conditions in the entire colon.

I've had two, have been the designated driver, post- colonoscopy babysitter for various family members who have had colonoscopies, and every one of the docs who did those colonoscopies made suggestions for over the counter or home treatment to treat hemorrhoids. I think witch hazel was one of the items they mentioned, OP, I'm glad to hear it's been so successful in helping with your issues.

Old Today, 01:36 PM

9,485 posts, read 6,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Some blood at the rectum appears when one has an anal fissure (slight breaking of the skin) and when one has a hemorrhoid. Neither an anal fissure nor a hemorrhoid are serious. Use hemorrhoid cream, vaseline, antibiotic cream on the anus to heal both - and perhaps a suppository to heal an anal fissure or hemorrhoid which may be into the rectum a bit.

Also there is a product called Cologuard where you take a simple stool sample and send it in to a lab - and it tells you whether you have colon cancer or not. Most or many insurance companies cover the cost. One gets a prescription/order form for Cologuard from a doctor, you mail the order form, and the Cologuard is mailed to you and you send in the stool sample. This product has excellent reliability.

I realize Cologuard does not show polyps, but at such a young age, it's okay. Many doctors over-prescribe colonoscopies - colonoscopies keep gastro-enterologists in business and in money-making.

There is also a virtual colonoscopy where imaging and images are taken - and no tube goes up the rectum.
Even President Obama had a virtual colonoscopy as an alternative. While Cologuard is covered by many or most insurance companies, virtual colonoscopy is not covered as widely - but more insurance companies are catching on.
I see that the US Preventative Services Task Force ( the group that makes disease and condition screening recommendations seems to be considering Cologuard as a screening method for colon cancer, and I think I recall virtual colonoscopy on that list of possible screening methods as well. As I understand from comments made on the USPSTF sites these methods are included due to increased public acceptance of more noninvasive methods for colon cancer screening compared to colonoscopies.

What I don't think is widely recognized is that the Cologuard test is intended to detect the presence of blood in the sample in addition to markers for colon cancer DNA. So blood in the sample from an anal fissure, or hemorrhoids will also give a positive Cologuard result.

The downside of both Cologuard and virtual colonoscopies is that positive results ( or polyps or other suspicious or questionable findings in the virtual colonoscopy) will need to be followed up by a traditional colonoscopies.

https://www.cologuardtest.com/faq/re...gative-results

Old Today, 01:47 PM

2,348 posts, read 822,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiekatt View Post
... extreme hemmoroids ..if they even touch the area I would loose my mind....

Am I the only one to see the irony of that statement?

Old Today, 02:06 PM

1,678 posts, read 353,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Dollar store toilet paper. I think its made from recycled fiberglass. Also, once found a large sliver of wood in better paper. Get the real good stuff. Seriously.
Better yet, a bidet.

If you got poo on your hand would you just wipe it with a tissue or wash it off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness