U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 PM

22,007 posts, read 26,860,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"CDC says itís another bad flu season..."
well, is there a GOOD flu season?
Well, some are less bad than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 PM

1,627 posts, read 581,478 times
less bad is still bad, not good.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 PM

4,971 posts, read 4,852,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
There has been a yet-to-be-defined viral respiratory illness that has been highly contagious going around but it's very short-lived; 2 out of my 3 kids still living at home had to miss 1 day of school each. It doesn't seem to last long enough to get people out to their doctors, so most haven't even been tested for the flu.

At one of the places I work, we have an entire respiratory panel that will test for twenty-one different things, mostly viral and a few bacterial. Where I live, there seems to be a lot of Coronavirus going around, in addition to Adenovirus and Rhino/Enterovirus, which are pretty standard fare. I remember last year, into the Spring, Parainfluenza was really making its way around.

There are also a lot of coinfections going on with patients as well.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:22 AM

5,262 posts, read 2,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
At one of the places I work, we have an entire respiratory panel that will test for twenty-one different things, mostly viral and a few bacterial. Where I live, there seems to be a lot of Coronavirus going around, in addition to Adenovirus and Rhino/Enterovirus, which are pretty standard fare. I remember last year, into the Spring, Parainfluenza was really making its way around.

There are also a lot of coinfections going on with patients as well.
Wow...for two months now our 5 member team.has been bouncing our respiratory ails back and forth. My doctor thought it was mild brochiatis..the sludge in my lungs said otherwise. Then he thought it was pneumonia. The scan done just showed fluid build up.
Will suggest to my team associates to refer back to their doctor on these other possibilities. I know I'm going to inquire! Tired of this repeating...it's wearing on my energy....

Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 AM

11,124 posts, read 7,296,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are tests that can be done in the office.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8649066.html
That's only been taken up by two NHS trusts, and when one is ill, chances are, one doesn't want, or feel up to traveling up to 300 miles to be tested. Not to mention the spreading disease all the way, depending on how one travels. Anyway, not available where I am, or for the majority of the UK.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM

1,390 posts, read 681,354 times
Husband and I came down with what we initially thought was the flu just before Christmas. We both had flu shots in October. It started out with lots of sneezing, then turned into a cough and soon moved to the lungs. I have asthma and ended up being put on a 6 day medrol pak because of breathing problems. I was also x-rayed to rule out pneumonia, tested for strep and tested for the flu, all negative. Husband does not have asthma, so he did not need any intervention, but my doc told him he likely has the same virus. We are still not 100%, so whatever this virus is, it's nasty.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Husband and I came down with what we initially thought was the flu just before Christmas. We both had flu shots in October. It started out with lots of sneezing, then turned into a cough and soon moved to the lungs. I have asthma and ended up being put on a 6 day medrol pak because of breathing problems. I was also x-rayed to rule out pneumonia, tested for strep and tested for the flu, all negative. Husband does not have asthma, so he did not need any intervention, but my doc told him he likely has the same virus. We are still not 100%, so whatever this virus is, it's nasty.
I've been maxed out on my meds. I too am Asthmatic.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM

1,390 posts, read 681,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I've been maxed out on my meds. I too am Asthmatic.

Sorry you have to deal with that as well, it stinks. The medrol pak sure works wonders though. Am back on flovent and albuterol for now, hoping to be able to decrease meds soon.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Sorry you have to deal with that as well, it stinks. The medrol pak sure works wonders though. Am back on flovent and albuterol for now, hoping to be able to decrease meds soon.
I'm on Salamol, and Clenil Modulite 200 at the moment. Sometimes it's best to not try too hard to get the dosage down, since illnesses hit hard and fast, (like this chest infection that's going around), and it can take time to get your lungs in a condition to be able to deal with it. On the subject of getting dosages down though; I think doctors and nurses sometimes try a little too hard to ration meds, not knowing we often know ourselves better than they do.

Good luck though, if you can get dosages down, safely.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 AM

4,971 posts, read 4,852,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Wow...for two months now our 5 member team.has been bouncing our respiratory ails back and forth. My doctor thought it was mild brochiatis..the sludge in my lungs said otherwise. Then he thought it was pneumonia. The scan done just showed fluid build up.
Will suggest to my team associates to refer back to their doctor on these other possibilities. I know I'm going to inquire! Tired of this repeating...it's wearing on my energy....
It's a respiratory panel. For example, this is the one that is used at my facility:

https://www.biofiredx.com/products/t...s/filmarrayrp/

Now if insurance covers it, you might be able to have it done. Also, depending on where your samples are sent, they may or may not have something similar to this.

As you can see, this is beyond the rapid flu testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or