Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times

Advertisements

I know only my doctor can answer this but I keep forgetting every time I go in there for the check-ups for my injury.

I fractured my back, had some surgery, metal put in, etc.
I have some numbness I have had since surgery, surgery was may 12th earlier this year.

Some of the numbness is going away but a portion of my lower back is still partially numb, like I can "feel" myself touching the area but not totally. (Think lidocane at the dentist numb)

Doesn't really bother me except for when it itches, it'll itch, i'll scratch and then it'll keep itching because I can't feel the scratching.

How on earth can I feel the itching but not the scratching and is this hell? I mean, this feels like a sick joke.
I mean come on...really?

I'm glad I'm not paralyzed but this is hell.

I also have numbness down the outer part of my thighs half way down but it doesn't bother me like my lower back does.

Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:57 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I am not sure, but I had breast reduction surgery 15 years ago and the whole bottom half of my breasts are numb, or I just have no feeling in them.

I have had them itch but it is like you can never relieve the itching.

I have actually over scratched and caused myself to bleed, so be careful of that. Maybe try and just use some anti-itch cream on the area.

Sorry I can't answer the how to your question.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
It could be some of the nerves healing.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I dont know either, but I do know Aveeno body lotion,
recommended first by a dermotologist to a friend, really can stop itching.
Many people have told me how it worked like nothing else after I told them.

I agree, could it be part of the healing process as blood comes back into the
area and nerves begin to wake up?

Good luck with this, hug.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I will say that after all of these years, it still happens to me every few months.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Phantom nerve signals. Part of my foot is numb due to severed nerves, and I have neuropathy in my arms. The nerve damage is reflected in these itching, pains that are phantom signals from the nerves.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 AM

250 posts, read 694,238 times
I'm wondering if heat or cold would help, but you would have to be very careful not to burn yourself or cause a 'frostbite' effect since you may not have nerves that would signal you about too much of either.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Capsaicin is supposed to help. I use it in the winter when my leg aches where I have metal plates. But it's not at all good to use when it's hot outside. You have to wash it off with cold water before you shower with hot water, otherwise it will heat up too much.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
... I do know Aveeno body lotion, recommended first by a dermotologist to a friend, really can stop itching. Many people have told me how it worked like nothing else after I told them...Good luck with this, hug.
If you try Aveeno, it may pay to look for their anti-itch concentrated lotion. It has a topical anesthetic (pramoxine HCl) in it. Using this anesthetic with a coolant such as menthol, camphor, or phenol can increase its effectiveness (see link below). Perhaps using it with ice-cooling will work, too.

If you want a great list of things that may relieve your itch, try this:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/488914_3

Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 PM

Today I remembered that I recently heard a NPR Fresh Air radio program about a scientist who is establishing a center for itch at Temple University. He wants to change what he feels is a dismissive attitude toward itch among doctors who see it only as the little brother of pain and think it’s no big deal.

He also is trying to get neurologists to see that some itch is a neurological problem, not a skin condition (like an insect bite or rash), which would be treated by dermatologists.

A Scientist's Mission To Break The Itch-Scratch Cycle : NPR

While looking for info on the TU center, I found this one, too:

CSI
Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis has launched its new Center for the Study of Itch.

Do you happen to live near either of these centers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness