Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 04:31 AM

7 posts, read 6,247 times

Advertisements

I noticed that people of African descent tend to have "stronger" genes when it comes to not getting certain diseases. Cancer, for e.g, doesn't seem to affect nowhere near as many people in Africa as elsewhere in the world, especially the western world. Even rare diseases which affect Caucasians, don't seem to happen to African people.

Do you find this to be true or not?

Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
probably they don't eat junk food.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAlexanderP View Post
I noticed that people of African descent tend to have "stronger" genes when it comes to not getting certain diseases. Cancer, for e.g, doesn't seem to affect nowhere near as many people in Africa as elsewhere in the world, especially the western world. Even rare diseases which affect Caucasians, don't seem to happen to African people.

Not at all true-- People of African descent have much higher rates of sever complications of Diabetes and Hypertension than others and very high rates of asthma and prostate cancer and twice the risk of lung cancer. Sarcoidosis is rare among whites but common in blacks. Infectious diseases account for a larger number of deaths in less developed countries, so fewer people live long enough to develop cancer. https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-h...-blacks-most#1

Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

where are you getting such a notion. Research the average age expectancy between caucasians and African Americans or Africans period; check the heart concerns, the cancer risks, the blood pressure data. Almost every disease one can mention is higher among Blacks.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Simply being born black doesn't mean that you'll develop disease and die earlier. A lot of it has to do with lifestyle, socioeconomics, and heck luck. FWIW, an African American man recently died here in Austin and he was 112, I think.

Obesity is a big problem in Blacks, which in turn is a catalyst for other deadly diseases.

Though I expect the disease rates in Whites to rise too because America's waist line as a whole is getting larger.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:

First, please cite your source for saying that black people are healthier. What you notice is different from statistical data.

Since your assertion does not take into account the many factors that contribute to health, and just focuses on epidermal melanin, I don’t think it is valid.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Is this just Americans of African descent, or do the stats also count those who still live in Africa?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Blacks are more likely to get a genetic disease called Sickle Cell Anemia. Nasty thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle_cell_disease

Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I think the OP means African people,you know,from the continent of Africa?

I am not sure why some posters are bringing up African American stats?
Two different continents.

In any event,a better comparison would be African American versus African stats.
Or Jamaican versus African stats.

For example, compare Chinese in China to Chinese americans stats,and you would find similar results.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Simply being born black doesn't mean that you'll develop disease and die earlier. A lot of it has to do with lifestyle, socioeconomics, and heck luck.

Obesity is a big problem in Blacks, which in turn is a catalyst for other deadly diseases.

Socio-economic factors are factored out in the stats. ...and BTW- obesity is a confounding factor in the stats and not an actual "cause" of any disease. Eg-- Diabetics have high rates of MI, and an obese diabetic isn't treating himself properly, so is more likely to have that MI. It isn't the obesity itself..that's just an indication that he isn't following orders.

Also note that what we call a genetic "disease" varies according to the situation. The genes that made it easy to survive on a low calorie diet were a huge advantage in "the jungle" where hunting/gathering was a rough way of life. ...Today, when HoHo's & DingDongs are way too easy to get, those same genes are deleterious. Those are the genes that the people we call "diabetics" today have....Same with Sickle Cell trait-- a big advantage in areas where malaria is common. ..but a disease in areas without malaria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think the OP means African people,you know,from the continent of Africa?

I am not sure why some posters are bringing up African American stats?
Two different continents.

Very difficult to site cancer stats on Africans: life expectancy in Sub Saharan Africa is only 46 yrs (huge problem with premature death from AIDS.) Cancer is a problem as you age. They don't live long enough to develop cancer.

An interesting bit of history: the notion that "fiber" prevents colon cancer (debunked in recent yrs) dates back to the 19th century when British missionary doctors noted that Africans, whose diet consisted to a great extent on roots crops) tended to have huge BMs, while the Brits, whose diet was much more meat- centered, had smaller volume BMs and also much higher rate of colon cancer--ergo-- fiber MUST be the important factor in preventing colon ca!...They just didn't take life expectancy into consideration. Africans usually died before their 60s- the age when colon ca starts becoming common--before they had the chance to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness