Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,819 times

Advertisements

Hey . So I’m 22 years old with abdominal pain that has been chronic , it’s always hurting and shifting around and recently it’s causuing headaches and back pain as well. I have been to the ER so much , since my doctor doesn’t like to send me anywhere since he thinks it’s anxiety. Well this has caused me to go to the emergency room quite often where they are always doing ct scans over and over. I beg for MRi and I get a no. So we’re looking at like 9 CT scans Or 10 within a 6 month period...on my abdomen . And 3 abdomen X-rays and 2 chest X-rays and 1 HIDA scan..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syren View Post
Hey . So I’m 22 years old with abdominal pain that has been chronic , it’s always hurting and shifting around and recently it’s causuing headaches and back pain as well. I have been to the ER so much , since my doctor doesn’t like to send me anywhere since he thinks it’s anxiety. Well this has caused me to go to the emergency room quite often where they are always doing ct scans over and over. I beg for MRi and I get a no. So we’re looking at like 9 CT scans Or 10 within a 6 month period...on my abdomen . And 3 abdomen X-rays and 2 chest X-rays and 1 HIDA scan..........
CT are showing nothing, is that what you are saying? If so, think the doctor might be on to something; stress and anxiety can cause us all problems and the more you worry,the worse it gets. I know it is easier said than done, but you need to relax and stop running to ER every time you hurt. If the pain in your stomach is causing headaches, you might be imagining part of what you are experiencing. Have you tried to find another doctor and what does ER say about your frequent trips?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
I think it's time to find a new GP and find yourself a gastro doctor who can authorize more testing. It could be nothing but it could be something.

How does abdominal pain cause headaches? Can you describe the headaches? My daughter has Chiari Malformation which is a very specific headache. Along with Chiari Malformation is something called a connective tissue disorder (CTD) that affects other parts of the body. I mention this because that's the only connection I know of with abdomen and headaches.

What other medical issue do you have and did you notice your body changed after puberty or between 15 and 20? My daughter was early to do everything from talking, walking, climbing on the top bunk bed at 9 months, potty trained before 2, rode a 2 wheel bike before her 3rd birthday but she was a clutz and could trip going up and down steps. You wonder how someone so clumsy could do so much other things that require balance and focus.

She started having health issues around puberty. Would always manage to fracture her right wrist. Turns out she hit it on the headboard. Her writing really was sloppy and still is. She began to have stomach issues. Headaches.

She's had a weight issue since age 5 where apple juice made her gain a lot of weight. Back then it never occurred to me. It was the 90's, we didn't have net until 99 and once we did I took to looking what could be wrong with her. She also has ADD and what was termed oppositional defiant disorder. A teacher of hers in 3rd grade wanted me to have her diagnosed bi-polar but that was not right. She had more issues at school then she did at home. I had none of the issues with her that teachers did.

Eventually I figured out the CTD and Chiari malformation. I found that the reason she tripped doing stairs was because she couldn't judge them due to being something referred to as a "bobble head", her head doesn't sit on her spine right. She also has eye issues due to the headache issues. I can't even begin to tell you the diagnoses she has with her headaches in addition to Chiari Malformation. With her handwriting, it;s due to the joints in her fingers not being able to hold the pen due to the CTD.

I have to go make the grand kids breakfast. Tell me more history and if you had anything like my daughter.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Be careful, it sounds like you are getting zapped too many times and a concrete diagnosis is still missing. Even though newer medical-scans are safer, it is best to avoid getting them done too often.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:28 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Hey . So I’m 22 years old with abdominal pain that has been chronic .......

Your recurrent visits to the ER put the docs on the spot. Cf- the story of the boy who called wolf. Just because they found nothing the last 9x doesn't mean it can't be something serious the 10th time....

Sure, they might be thinking you're just a head case, but other aspects of your history & behavior would either support that diagnosis or not....and head cases can get sick too.

CT scans look for things that show up on CT scans (obviously)-- kidney or gall stones, tumors, evidence of obstruction and such...You don't seem to have any of those. (Things too small to show up on films are probably too small to be causing pain.)

That pretty much leaves things that cause increased pressure in the gut organs as the general consideration: everything from simple over-eating or your pants are too tight to enzyme deficiencies like lactose intolerance and other less famous ones causing "gas" (a diet history should help point those out).

Then there's the famous Irritable Bowel Syndrome. When recurring abd pain, often not localized to just one spot, and often associated with irregular bowel movements (alternating constipation/diarrhea or multiple, gradually softening BMs over a few hours occurring frequently) is the story, then the dx of IBS is made...it's not so much a disease as just description of your bowel patterns. In IBS, the usual smooth flow of peristalsis that pushes things along in the gut in "normals" is replaced by disco-ordinated chugging back & forth of stuff. When pressure builds up, pain results.

Another consideration in people who seem to have a lot of recurring abd pain and often dismissed as "nut-job" is porphyria- a not rare but often over-looked diagnosis-- requires some specific blood and urine tests for diagnosis

While you can try another doc, I'd say stick with the one you've been seeing (unless you feel he has already dismissed you as only having imaginary pain). He already has a head start in dealing with your problem. Docs start with common things and expand the considerations as earlier ones prove non-productive.

Are you female? Any monthly regularity to the pain? Endometriosis, ovarian cyst, Mittelschmerz etc ?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:29 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Maybe celiac? Or other intolerances?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:01 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Maybe it's either time to believe your doc or seek a Psych consult.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
New OP hasn't been back since posting so I wouldn't bother replying.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
New OP hasn't been back since posting so I wouldn't bother replying.
I was just thinking exactly the same thing. I always wonder about these types of posters.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
And all those trips to the ER were costly and all those tests, wonder what country OP comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness