U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM

828 posts, read 989,070 times

Advertisements

I have a doctor's appointment Monday morning but just wanted to hear some member's feedback on my problem.

33 years old and started smoking 2 years ago due to stress. Smoking 15-20 cigarettes a day. Didn't notice any real health changes until about 2 months ago. I've always had a very healthy sex drive but there has been about 3 times now where I've had some ED with my girlfriend. Never happened before and it really was embarrassing and depressing to say the least. My metabolism has always been really fast too and I never gained weight but now I'm starting to get love handles and some fat on my stomach.

I'm planning on getting a physical and some testing done for my ED. Needless to say I have quit smoking cold turkey. Hasn't been bad just been really moody which I think could be from low testosterone levels as well.

Have any others around my age have similar experiences? After quitting cigarettes and getting healthy did it cure your ED?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 03:39 PM

634 posts, read 78,694 times
My best friend smoked 20 per day, he developed severe heart disease and had a number of heart attacks in late 50's/60, but he just assumed the heart attacks were indigestion/acid reflux and never bothered to check it out til the first time he nearly died. He also had had all his teeth fall out in his early 50's because of periodontitis caused by the smoking. After his first major heart attack he could only walk 100 yards before almost passing out.

Younger people often think "oh well smoking isn't harming me", but it's a slow, gradual process which catches up very fast when you get older. Smoking long term is far more dangerous than being an alcoholic, even being diabetic (if properly managed), or obesity combined. It's the most reliable way to fill your arteries with plaque, have your teeth fall out, induce cancer, emphysema, constant lung infections/productive cough, list goes on. Probably isn't any other things you can do that severely affects so much of your body at once. Of all the friends/people I've known, smokers are the first to pop off younger.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 PM

18,613 posts, read 17,759,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
My best friend smoked 20 per day, he developed severe heart disease and had a number of heart attacks in late 50's/60, but he just assumed the heart attacks were indigestion/acid reflux and never bothered to check it out til the first time he nearly died. He also had had all his teeth fall out in his early 50's because of periodontitis caused by the smoking. After his first major heart attack he could only walk 100 yards before almost passing out.

If you're still younger you might think "oh well smoking isn't harming me", but it's a gradual process which will catch up very fast when you get older. Smoking long term is far more dangerous than being an alcoholic, even being diabetic (if properly managed), or obesity combined. It's the most reliable way to fill your arteries with plaque, have your teeth fall out, induce cancer, emphysema, constant lung infections/productive cough, list goes on. Probably isn't any other things you can do that severely affects so much of your body at once. Of all the friends/people I've known, smokers are the first to pop off younger.
I can't rep you again and I can't address the OP's issue of ED, being a woman, but you are so right. I used to smoke and there's nothing good about it. I was disgusted with myself for smoking and being dependent upon it, needing to have an ashtray at hand, panicking if I ran out of cigarettes.

It wasn't easy giving it up but I would hope the OP gives it up. It will have bad effects on you sooner or later.
Nicotine is addicting but that wasn't the hardest part of quitting. That part only lasted a few days (had me in tears, begging for a cigarette!) but it's the mental part of the addiction that gets you. You just want to reach for that cigarette all the time. It relaxes you. BUT you can reach for a hard candy or a piece of gum. Reach for a little snack, almost anything is better than the cigarettes. You can find healthy ways to relax too.

Now, can anyone answer the OP's question about ED and smoking?

Old 01-19-2019, 03:55 PM

18,613 posts, read 17,759,938 times
https://www.healthline.com/health/er...ce-and-smoking

The risk of smoking to your erectile health is due to the effects of cigarette chemicals on the blood vessels in the penis.

Read the whole article because it explains it. The problem is reversible IF you quit smoking.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:36 AM

16,729 posts, read 20,438,985 times
Hopefully, one day they'll come up with a nicotine pill, and do away with smoking. Overlooked, so often, is that the tobacco plant is an herb plant with medicinal properties to it, it can be a relaxant as well as a curb to one's appetite. And it may even have other medicinal benefits. The day will come it will be looked at in a different light, just like marijuana.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:02 AM

14,642 posts, read 11,873,571 times
Smoking causes so much damage not only to organs of the body but skin eyes gums too.. ruins teeth and give you wrinkles.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:48 AM

409 posts, read 141,784 times
I am a woman so can't answer the ED part (but will get to talking about the hormonal part). I smoked for nine years, from 1997-2006. I had terrible digestive problems that literally went away after one week of not smoking. I would get random nausea, heartburn, irritable bowel, nothing tasted good. My teeth were always yellow and I'd get cavities easier. I would cough/hack every morning, and my stamina was horrible. But the big clincher for quitting was when I had a dexa scan at age 34, one year post hysterectomy and loss of both ovaries to endometriosis (which is a hormonal disease that I suspect was aggravated by the toxins in cigarettes). I had wanted a baseline to monitor my bones since surgical menopause was a nightmare for me even with hrt. I was shocked my scores were ridiculously low at -3.2 T score spine and -1.8 hip. That's bad for someone in their thirties who's scores are being compared to a healthy person in their thirties. I had been told that smoking is a huge risk factor for loss of bone density. It disrupts natural hormones/hormone producers (which may be why you have ED) and leeches calcium from bones. I quit the same day I had my DEXA scan and received the results.

Not going to lie, quitting was TOUGH. I am a high anxiety person, and at the time was trying to stay sober from years of alcohol abuse. The only way I could do it was cold turkey. Otherwise my mind would play tricks and I would cheat. As someone else said, the physical addiction was broken in a few days, but the mental part took a long time. I would chew up to a pack of gum a day lol, to stave off cravings for the first year. I did put on weight. I had been slightly underweight for years from smoking and having no appetite (and from the pain of endometriosis and inability to eat many foods). So the weight gain wasn't a bad thing, but in my mind it was horrible. Unfortunately I developed anorexia nervosa and battled that for six years, but I didn't smoke. Addiction is something I continually battle with, whether it was alcohol, cigarettes, starvation, a period of bulimia, or obsessive compulsive behavior. Over the years I have gradually found healthier ways to deal with it, though currently it's been exercising myself into the ground and now I have multiple strains and injuries including tibial damage and am forced to stop for a while.

I had zero sexual desire during the time I smoked. My emotions were not as heightened, pain sensors dulled.

I work as a medical coder and one of my specialties is coding chemotherapy infusions for the cancer center. I can't begin to tell you the damage that cigarettes do to people. You can't even imagine the suffering. and I am not talking only about people who smoked for many years. Many are younger people in late twenties, thirties, with colon, breast, lung, throat cancer who only smoked a few years, no joke, with no family history of cancer.

I'm not sure if providing links is allowed, but if you do an internet search using the terms "cigarettes and hormone disruption in men" you will get a lot of hits. One has to do with lowered testosterone levels in men who smoke.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:44 AM

13,792 posts, read 7,802,941 times
Before people start going off on endless anti-smoking rants, OP knows he needs to quit smoking. Every smoker knows they should quit smoking. I smoked for a ridiculous amount of years before quitting 2 years ago and the fact is you will never be successful at quitting until you, meaning you, are 100% ready to stop. No one else can do it for you and even you can't do it for you until you are 100% ready. I don't advise cold turkey. It has the highest failure rate. Slowking (cutting down slowly) can be helpful, or using nicotine replacement. (Patches worked like a dream for me). I also made a long list of all the reasons I wanted to quit and read it every single morning before work. It helped keep me motivated. There is also gum, Chantix, and a couple other medications that can curb cravings. Even Colgate toothpaste can make cigs taste nasty.

ED. The cigarettes interfere with blood flow to your penis so quitting can definitely help with that. Hey, of all the reasons to quit, improving your sex life is one of the best, right? Good luck. You can do it. Millions of others have.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 AM

3,258 posts, read 1,862,009 times
i'm surprised anyone still smokes knowing what we do about tobacco these days, there is an advert over here that states every 15 cigarettes that are smoked by a person cause a mutation in your body, I guess I was lucky, I smoked for 32 years and gave up 23 years ago.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:28 AM

5,577 posts, read 6,550,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I have a doctor's appointment Monday morning but just wanted to hear some member's feedback on my problem.

33 years old and started smoking 2 years ago due to stress. Smoking 15-20 cigarettes a day. Didn't notice any real health changes until about 2 months ago. I've always had a very healthy sex drive but there has been about 3 times now where I've had some ED with my girlfriend. Never happened before and it really was embarrassing and depressing to say the least. My metabolism has always been really fast too and I never gained weight but now I'm starting to get love handles and some fat on my stomach.

I'm planning on getting a physical and some testing done for my ED. Needless to say I have quit smoking cold turkey. Hasn't been bad just been really moody which I think could be from low testosterone levels as well.

Have any others around my age have similar experiences? After quitting cigarettes and getting healthy did it cure your ED?
I've been smoking for more than 50 years, at one point I was up to five packs a day. I've never had any trouble with ED.

Smoking tends to *curb* appetite. Most people start gaining weight when they *quit* smoking, partly due to increased appetite and partly due to the need to stick something in their mouths and food becomes a substitute for cigarettes...but food doesn't have the same effect and they keep on eating, looking for it and not getting it, having done nothing more than substitute one habit for another.

Smoking tends to have a *calming* effect, not making you *moody*...unless you're jonesing for a smoke and not getting one.

You might be wise to look for another cause for your problems...like, maybe the *stress* you mentioned? The smoking isn't the cause of your problems, it's merely one more symptom from the stress, which, coincidentally, can result in the rest of the issues- ED, weight gain and moodiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness