U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 03:11 PM

302 posts, read 150,752 times

Advertisements

So from my last forum as you read I had bough a new mattress finally because the last one was giving me pains in my abdominal muscles due to the sagging in the middle. However I decided to buy a firm mattress from Beauty Rest. However the one I had tried in the store felt okay.

Yesterday I received my mattress and it was god awful to sleep on, felt like I was sleeping on a rock, I did not sleep all night! Just tossing and turning all night! I through on a memory foam topper I had lying around (1.5) inch. And i still felt uncomfortable! However I did not wake up with any muscle pains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 PM

15,758 posts, read 15,739,151 times
Yeah, I have slept on hard mattresses and the first couple of nights, UGH, that is harsh.

Eventually I get used to the hardosity-factor and can get quite comfy. I like a firm center surrounded by a soft, spongy topper.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 PM

302 posts, read 150,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, I have slept on hard mattresses and the first couple of nights, UGH, that is harsh.

Eventually I get used to the hardosity-factor and can get quite comfy. I like a firm center surrounded by a soft, spongy topper.
Well everyone is telling me that a FIRM mattress is better for sleep and better for the back and muscles, is that true?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 PM

15,758 posts, read 15,739,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale12 View Post
Well everyone is telling me that a FIRM mattress is better for sleep and better for the back and muscles, is that true?

I think it is probably easy to figure out what mattress is best for yourself.

What type mattress do you sleep best on and feel best when you wake up, that is the
question?

Old 01-19-2019, 05:48 AM

2,157 posts, read 772,199 times
It always feels so good to take a nap on the couch....Why don't they just make beds like couches?

If you've seen those My Mattress commercials on TV showing the babe lying there with back to viewers, you'll see how the shoulder and hip areas bear most of the weight digging into the mattress, and the waist area (accentuated in a female) and head/neck hardly touch it.

We need support all along the spine, not just the points that touch-- so a softer mattress is better than a harder one so all points touch equally... but not one so soft that it sags without supporting.

Goldilocks.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 PM

793 posts, read 321,376 times
I thought a mattress should have enough give for you weight so your backbone is straight when your on your side so that your hips and shoulders sink deeper into the mattress.

Your outer extremities sink deeper into the mattress is what I thought to he the best?

Real firm mattress will have little give and be less comfortable,mat least from my experiences.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM

5,158 posts, read 12,952,726 times
Get a mattress topper....it will give you the cushioning you want, without taking away the firmness. I like my memory foam ...about 2 inches thick under the mattress pad. The mattress pad keeps me cooler than simply putting foam under the sheet. Keeps the foam cleaner, too.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:14 AM

1,462 posts, read 802,696 times
That is what we do, get a mattress memory foam topper. Get one with a cover. They are so comfortable that we have them in our camper, also.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM

1,498 posts, read 651,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale12 View Post
Well, it's better than any saggy one.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:34 PM

557 posts, read 595,109 times
We bought a version of the Beauty Rest 7 years ago. I think it was called something like 'luxury firm'. It also arrived rock hard (unlike the showroom) and we solved the issue with a 3-inch memory foam topper. We did need to replace it a couple of times because, eventually, the topper starts to lose structure and gets saggy. Also, there are certain ones that have a 'cooling' surface and this is important because memory foam can be very warm to sleep on even when it's covered with the mattress pad. This is the one we used. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for with these. We purchased ours at JC Penney but you might be able to find it cheaper on Amazon.

Isotonic® Iso-Cool® 3" Memory Foam Mattress Topper

If it helps any, at the 5-year mark, the mattress finally softened enough to sleep on it without a topper and now at 7 years it's perfect! The good news is that this mattress will last for a much longer time than a softer variety or those that come with built-in pillow tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or