U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,634,595 times

Advertisements

https://www.amazon.com/Posture-Corre...07DKHTKP3?th=1

I think I have rounded shoulders due to working on a computer for my job. I sometimes slouch as well. Will posture brace correct this? Is wearing this a good idea?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 AM

1,496 posts, read 751,290 times
A posture brace will not correct the root cause of your issue. What will work are back strengthening exercises to strengthen your back muscles to support your spine and increase bone mass (around the upper and lower spine). A slouch is one of the symptoms of bone loss (dowagers hump). A posture brace will just increase your reliance more on the brace and less on the muscles that support your spinal structure. Building the muscles is key to dealing with this sooner (when the issue starts to appear) rather than later (when it is too late).

Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 7,856,219 times
I have had rounded shoulders my whole life. Its strange because when I was young my mother made a point of me sitting standing up straight. I also had years of horseback riding and horse shows which required me to have a perfectly straight spine. But alas, I still slouched.
I am now in my 50's and have done exercises on and off to strengthen my spine given to me by trainers and physical therapists. It is so hard that eventually I just give up. My bad posture has been a lifelong bane.
If you are young make the effort! Do what needs to be done now or it will be too late and too painful to correct.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:58 AM

14,227 posts, read 9,402,557 times
One of the companies that I worked for, before I came back tp pharmacy and retired, manufactured braces and medical corsets.

Posture braces only work for the people selling them. Makes them money. (Just like non-Rx ED meds, wrinkle removers, fat burners, PRP and so on)

Old 01-22-2019, 12:40 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,033,852 times
OP,

Have had mild scoliosis my entire life. I talked with my trainer as to why I was not making as much progress with my upper body strength as I was with the rest of my body. Turns out my hip flexer muscles were tight and my abs and glutes not strong enough to counter the hip flexers. That was the cause of the anterior pelvic tilt of my pelvis and the 3" arch in my lower back. This in turn caused me to round my shoulders to avoid back pain. Rounding my shoulders resulted in not being able to stabilize my shoulders when working out my upper body.

It took some simple exercises at home combined with some specific upper body exercises 3 times a week for a period of 6 weeks for the hip flexers to stretch , the abs and glutes to get stronger and my shoulders to move into a stabilized position.

If you can find a trainer who knows how to determine exactly what is causing the problem there should be a way to correct it. It requires two way communication with a good trainer to determine what is causing your poor posture. I could tell you exactly what exercises I did, but, if the issue is not due to an anterior pelvic tilt, then, my solution is not going to work for you.

I can't believe I suffered for 70 years and my trainer was able to figure out the issue in less than 5 minutes and it took only six weeks doing specific exercises he gave me to correct the problem. However, if I had not asked him why I was not seeing an improvement in my upper arm and shoulder strength even though I was doing the upper body exercises and identified the issue of a substantial arch in my lower back preventing me from doing exercises on the flat bench - we would never have been able to identify and fix the real cause of the problem.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:25 PM

15,487 posts, read 9,061,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Posture-Corre...07DKHTKP3?th=1

I think I have rounded shoulders due to working on a computer for my job. I sometimes slouch as well. Will posture brace correct this? Is wearing this a good idea?
Wearing an inexpensive simple brace MIGHT keep you more aware of your posture and help you break your slouch habit, but it's not going to solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness