U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2019, 06:01 PM
 
4,820 posts, read 10,719,813 times
Reputation: 11071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Not what I've heard from other doctor's mouths. And they do this work and often with success. More and more all the time, plenty of info out there on this and it just boils down to who believes in the work.

https://www.tcpaindoctor.com/prp-injections-acl-tears/

Plenty of athletes for starters and then the whole segment of folks who don't want their knees cut.
Name even ONE athlete that has ever undergone non surgical treatment of an ACL tear....it doesn't happen, isn't possible...

There have been a handful of athletes in the last several decades that did not undergo surgery and played their sport without an ACL in one of their knees, Dan Marino being the most famous. Those athletes were able to play with a brace and had more inherent knee stability than the average person sans ACL

The link you provided is pure nonsense and comes from a pain management/anesthesia/PRP clinic, NOT an Orthopedist.

This isn't about "belief"....it isn't open to debate or "opinion"....a complete, retracted ACL tear CANNOT be treated with PRP and WILL NOT HEAL....PERIOD

Surgical reconstruction of the ACL which is not really a "repair" it is a "transplant" of other tissue to take the place of the ACL which is not reparable..."belief" in "the work" doesn't magically makes something possible which is not physically possible

Not everyone needs to have an ACL repair however.

It does depend on a patient's age, activity level, sport involvement, concomitant injury to other structures such as meniscus.

My daughter is a D 1 collegiate soccer player and just had an ACL reconstruction and meniscal repair 2 months ago. It was a no brainer...with her age and activity level along with the fact that the meniscus also needed to be repaired surgery was the ONLY reasonable option.

A middle aged housewife who slips and tears her ACL whose primary exercise is walking the dog may not need an ACL repair.

Advocating unproven therapies such as stem cell treatment for the masses without taking into account specific circumstances is incredibly dangerous and ill informed...

YOU don't know what you don't know and yet you continually make recommendations to strangers you have never met that could have dire consequences.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Southern California
20,980 posts, read 7,037,856 times
Reputation: 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Name even ONE athlete that has ever undergone non surgical treatment of an ACL tear....it doesn't happen, isn't possible...

There have been a handful of athletes in the last several decades that did not undergo surgery and played their sport without an ACL in one of their knees, Dan Marino being the most famous. Those athletes were able to play with a brace and had more inherent knee stability than the average person sans ACL

The link you provided is pure nonsense and comes from a pain management/anesthesia/PRP clinic, NOT an Orthopedist.

This isn't about "belief"....it isn't open to debate or "opinion"....a complete, retracted ACL tear CANNOT be treated with PRP and WILL NOT HEAL....PERIOD

Surgical reconstruction of the ACL which is not really a "repair" it is a "transplant" of other tissue to take the place of the ACL which is not reparable..."belief" in "the work" doesn't magically makes something possible which is not physically possible

Not everyone needs to have an ACL repair however.

It does depend on a patient's age, activity level, sport involvement, concomitant injury to other structures such as meniscus.

My daughter is a D 1 collegiate soccer player and just had an ACL reconstruction and meniscal repair 2 months ago. It was a no brainer...with her age and activity level along with the fact that the meniscus also needed to be repaired surgery was the ONLY reasonable option.

A middle aged housewife who slips and tears her ACL whose primary exercise is walking the dog may not need an ACL repair.

Advocating unproven therapies such as stem cell treatment for the masses without taking into account specific circumstances is incredibly dangerous and ill informed...

YOU don't know what you don't know and yet you continually make recommendations to strangers you have never met that could have dire consequences.....
We've been thru this "stuff" so many times, I'm not naming anyone NOW. I've done that. I've spoken of those who have gone and go to PRP and Stem Cells and have they had surgeries, I don't know.


I still believe in Prolo work as I've had it and it's helped me but one miss injection messed me up but I am not about to do a surgery, so am still looking at this work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
17,149 posts, read 20,210,722 times
Reputation: 17762
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Where do you get that the OP only "partially" tore their ACL??? That isn't what was stated at all...

There is also "no modern surgery to save the ligament" and there is no such thing as "withering" of the residual ligament...

When an ACL tears it "explodes" there is nothing left but strands that is why an ACL can NEVER be repaired with the very, very rare exception when it pulls off with the tibial spine....

I also don't know what you are talking about with a "patellar transplant" because that isn't how a bone patellar bone graft is formed, it isn't the outer third that is taken it is the central third along with a portion of the patella. It isn't pulled "down", it is completely removed and then placed in tunnels from the femur to the tibia. The remaining 2/3 of the patellar tendon are sutured back together.

This is actually the oldest form of ACL repair and has been around for decades. There are other options including hamstring grafts and cadaver grafts as well.

Referencing an athlete from 40 years ago??? This surgery is done every day for high level athletes and today nearly all return to the prior level of competition.
Thanks you a and a couple of others have been helpful. I tend to agree with your posts. No one including myself can diagnose as to whether or not I need surgery or my tear is complete or partial. Also everyone's experiences are different. I also never stated that my tear was partial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
17,149 posts, read 20,210,722 times
Reputation: 17762
update: Went to the orthopedic doctor today and I tore my ACL, I also have a slight meniscus tear. His approach was conservative so to start things before he does nay type of knee surgery he wants 6 weeks of Physical therapy. after that I go for another follow up. If things are doing well then I can avoid surgery if not then I have to have it and then follow up with more physical therapy. They start with physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and other ligaments and tendons.
He is the assistant Physician to the Boston Celtics, a women's hockey team and a lacrosse team. He's 35 years old and tore his ACL 2 times playing lacrosse. He also said ACL tears do not heal on their own however since I am not an athlete, professional dancer, and I don't do aerobics, kick boxing or zumba I can choose to not have surgery but I have to see how it s after my 6 weeks of therapy. I have zero mobility now and physical therapy will help with that. I start this Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2019, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Southern California
20,980 posts, read 7,037,856 times
Reputation: 14073
During all my down time in hospital and rehabs I learned so much PT to strengthen the ligaments and tendons and I do them every day two times. This is the best approach, doing surgery with weak ligaments etc. is counter productive as I understand things.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-28-2019 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 PM
 
Location: planet earth
3,882 posts, read 1,393,067 times
Reputation: 8604
I know someone late sixties who just had this surgery. Six weeks off feet, completely - meaning sit on couch with leg elevated, and hobble to bathroom with crutches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 AM
 
4,820 posts, read 10,719,813 times
Reputation: 11071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
During all my down time in hospital and rehabs I learned so much PT to strengthen the ligaments and tendons and I do them every day two times. This is the best approach, doing surgery with weak ligaments etc. is counter productive as I understand things.
The OP isn't describing "weak ligaments", he/she is describing a TORN ACL

Your experience regarding an arthritic knee has ZERO relevance to someone dealing with a TORN ACL....

For an active individual with an unstable knee after ACL tear surgery is the BEST option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 06:15 AM
 
4,820 posts, read 10,719,813 times
Reputation: 11071
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
update: Went to the orthopedic doctor today and I tore my ACL, I also have a slight meniscus tear. His approach was conservative so to start things before he does nay type of knee surgery he wants 6 weeks of Physical therapy. after that I go for another follow up. If things are doing well then I can avoid surgery if not then I have to have it and then follow up with more physical therapy. They start with physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and other ligaments and tendons.
He is the assistant Physician to the Boston Celtics, a women's hockey team and a lacrosse team. He's 35 years old and tore his ACL 2 times playing lacrosse. He also said ACL tears do not heal on their own however since I am not an athlete, professional dancer, and I don't do aerobics, kick boxing or zumba I can choose to not have surgery but I have to see how it s after my 6 weeks of therapy. I have zero mobility now and physical therapy will help with that. I start this Saturday.

Hey best of luck to you, not a fun injury to have at all but sounds like you are in good hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
17,149 posts, read 20,210,722 times
Reputation: 17762
Yes I am and good hands thanks. Also I was told after surgery 1- 2 weeks rest at home but I can put partial weight on that leg by using crutches or a walker. To be completely healed and back to normal 6-9 months. I can start driving after 1 week though. if I do have the surgery he will fix my meniscus tear as well which is minor but he said he might as well fix that too. Surgery is 90 minutes and I come home same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
21,389 posts, read 4,460,810 times
Reputation: 26129
Good luck, lubby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top