U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 AM

2,162 posts, read 757,360 times

Advertisements

Tore right knee and left total of 4 times. Thankfully no surgery. Last tear was in my late 20's and now at 48 I don't feel no pain. Only when it's cold but that's arthritis is all.
Good luck and God speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM

9,454 posts, read 6,631,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Yes I am and good hands thanks. Also I was told after surgery 1- 2 weeks rest at home but I can put partial weight on that leg by using crutches or a walker. To be completely healed and back to normal 6-9 months. I can start driving after 1 week though. if I do have the surgery he will fix my meniscus tear as well which is minor but he said he might as well fix that too. Surgery is 90 minutes and I come home same day.
Just some general FYI from the front here. We found when my daughter had her ACL repair, she had a much easier time getting around with a walker than with crutches after her surgery.

She had day surgery with that, though it was a long day. She had the surgery in a hospital OP surgery center, and they told us that sometimes after that type of surgery the patient stays overnight, but they take it on a case by case basis. I guess it depends on how much help and support the patient has at home, how well they can maneuver around with the walker when they are there, and their handling of the pain.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:02 PM

20,980 posts, read 7,037,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The OP isn't describing "weak ligaments", he/she is describing a TORN ACL

Your experience regarding an arthritic knee has ZERO relevance to someone dealing with a TORN ACL....

For an active individual with an unstable knee after ACL tear surgery is the BEST option
Did you read her Update of yesterday? Sounds like NOT. That is what I'm addressing, the Update.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:58 PM

4,820 posts, read 10,719,813 times
Quote:
Yes I am and good hands thanks. Also I was told after surgery 1- 2 weeks rest at home but I can put partial weight on that leg by using crutches or a walker. To be completely healed and back to normal 6-9 months. I can start driving after 1 week though. if I do have the surgery he will fix my meniscus tear as well which is minor but he said he might as well fix that too. Surgery is 90 minutes and I come home same day.
My daughter needed meniscal repair at the same time as her ACL repair as well. She was on crutches with limited weight bearing for 6 weeks due to the meniscal repair more than the ACL repair. She is now 3 months from surgery, out of brace and fully weight bearing. She is driving, exercising and working with PT along with athletic trainers at her school. No running yet but she can get on an exercise bike.

She actually had her surgery on a Friday, we stayed with her over the weekend and she was back to classes the following Monday. Pain medication for maybe 5 days and then just Tylenol and Advil.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 PM

17,149 posts, read 20,210,722 times
I will be doing PT for 6 weeks first then another evaluation to see if surgery is necessary. Mind you I am not athletic, I am not a professional dancer and I don't exercise much but I may have to in order to strengthen the muscles. I will see what PT says I am going to my first appointment Saturday.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,013,603 times
Quote:
I will be doing PT for 6 weeks first then another evaluation to see if surgery is necessary. Mind you I am not athletic, I am not a professional dancer and I don't exercise much but I may have to in order to strengthen the muscles. I will see what PT says I am going to my first appointment Saturday.
Sounds like you are doing everything right, and following a conservative, step wise approach exploring multiple treatment options. You are a full partner in your care, which is exactly the way it should be.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:45 PM

8,426 posts, read 5,754,281 times
Quote:
update: Went to the orthopedic doctor today and I tore my ACL, I also have a slight meniscus tear. His approach was conservative so to start things before he does nay type of knee surgery he wants 6 weeks of Physical therapy. after that I go for another follow up. If things are doing well then I can avoid surgery if not then I have to have it and then follow up with more physical therapy. They start with physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and other ligaments and tendons.
He is the assistant Physician to the Boston Celtics, a women's hockey team and a lacrosse team. He's 35 years old and tore his ACL 2 times playing lacrosse. He also said ACL tears do not heal on their own however since I am not an athlete, professional dancer, and I don't do aerobics, kick boxing or zumba I can choose to not have surgery but I have to see how it s after my 6 weeks of therapy. I have zero mobility now and physical therapy will help with that. I start this Saturday.
Sounds like you picked the best in your area. Good luck.

Make sure that you do your exercises

Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 PM

I have started Physical therapy. So far so good.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

21,389 posts, read 4,460,810 times
Quote:
I have started Physical therapy. So far so good.

Good luck...don't overdo PT

Old Today, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good luck...don't overdo PT
2 times a week that's all for now. I am actually going tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness