U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 04:01 PM

1 posts

Advertisements

Hello,
I was hoping to receive some input from anyone that may be in a similar situation as I am. I had a bunionectomy exactly a year ago. In the months following the surgery, I properly followed the recovery instructions. Almost immediately after switching from a surgical shoe to a regular shoe, I noticed that I had pain under my third and fourth toes with every step. I let my surgeon know about the pain about 3-4 months after surgery but he seemed unconcerned and brushed it off as something that would heal eventually. 11 months after the surgery I saw a different podiatrist and almost immediately after I mentioned my symptoms he felt my foot and diagnosed 2 neuromas.

After looking at my x-rays he said the surgery was done well and this was a seperate issue. However, I never had this problem before and seeing as it occurred directly after having the surgery, it appears to be a direct cause.

This problem affects me significantly everyday. I am experiencing pain with every step I take and I am extremely limited with what I can do physically. I never expected to be debilitated from bunion surgery. Before the surgery I was an active runner, running up to 8 miles a day. Nowadays I am having trouble just walking short distances because of the pain and discomfort. I have received 1 cortisone injection from the doctor that diagnosed the neuromas but unfortunately, it has only worsened the pain. There is a surgery that can be done to sever the nerves however, it is extremely risky and has a low success rate.

I am interested to know if anybody here has also developed a neuroma post bunion surgery and whether or not I have any claim against the surgeon.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:17 PM

4,798 posts, read 10,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditka View Post
Hello,
I was hoping to receive some input from anyone that may be in a similar situation as I am. I had a bunionectomy exactly a year ago. In the months following the surgery, I properly followed the recovery instructions. Almost immediately after switching from a surgical shoe to a regular shoe, I noticed that I had pain under my third and fourth toes with every step. I let my surgeon know about the pain about 3-4 months after surgery but he seemed unconcerned and brushed it off as something that would heal eventually. 11 months after the surgery I saw a different podiatrist and almost immediately after I mentioned my symptoms he felt my foot and diagnosed 2 neuromas.

After looking at my x-rays he said the surgery was done well and this was a seperate issue. However, I never had this problem before and seeing as it occurred directly after having the surgery, it appears to be a direct cause.

This problem affects me significantly everyday. I am experiencing pain with every step I take and I am extremely limited with what I can do physically. I never expected to be debilitated from bunion surgery. Before the surgery I was an active runner, running up to 8 miles a day. Nowadays I am having trouble just walking short distances because of the pain and discomfort. I have received 1 cortisone injection from the doctor that diagnosed the neuromas but unfortunately, it has only worsened the pain. There is a surgery that can be done to sever the nerves however, it is extremely risky and has a low success rate.

I am interested to know if anybody here has also developed a neuroma post bunion surgery and whether or not I have any claim against the surgeon.

Thank you in advance!
Why would you feel you have a "claim" against the surgeon???

You got a second opinion already that confirmed surgery was done well....

Regardless, it is far more likely that the bunion caused your Morton's neuroma and not the bunion surgery since Morton's neuromas are commonly associated with bunion deformity of the foot...

Correlation does not equal causation....just because you first felt the pain months after surgery doesn't mean the surgery "caused" the condition.

Find a good Foot and Ankle Orthopedic surgeon, the statement that "surgery in extremely risky with a low success rate" just isn't true when the right procedure is done by the right surgeon.

Old Today, 04:27 PM

5,183 posts, read 2,015,993 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you in advance!
They are separate issues, but are also related in the sense that they involve the same foot. Consider that the mechanical foot problem that lead to your bunion probably predisposed you to the neuroma. It was probably waiting to become noticeable. The formation of your foot as well as your gait lead to the bunion. It also lead to the neuroma. You've been favoring your bunion for a while before removing it and are still doing so after removing it. This probably irritated the neuroma because of how you've been bearing weight on that foot. It wasn't the surgery itself. There wasn't any reason for the surgeon to manipulate the site where your neuroma formed.

I've had both...my feet are terrible. Its been a life long balancing act to keep things calmed down. One thing changes, everything else responds to the change.

There are non-surgical support and padding aids to calm neuromas down. Have you tried them? They can really help a lot.

Last edited by Parnassia; Today at 04:44 PM..

Old Today, 04:35 PM

20,806 posts, read 6,961,546 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you in advance!
Sorry to hear of your dismay after going thru this not fun surgery..what surgery is fun? I have one friend in my life who had this bunionectomy and as far as I know she's doing OK, she's never mentioned other issues and since then she and I have been thru other type surgeries.

As I see it almost every MD will tell us something different. I live with complications from a hip surgery that I Never expected, so in my mind so much is connected and complicated. One gets patients experiences and then there are MD experiences...both widely opposing.

As far as a suit against the surgeon, we sign off on these elective surgeries, and live with what we're left with.

Just thinking that "maybe" PRP injections could help the issues you are challenged with. I would at least get a consult from a PRP provider in your area. THey are spreading across the U.S.

Sure enough here is info:

https://www.mortonsneuroma.com/blog/...rtons-neuroma/

Last edited by jaminhealth; Today at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness