U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2019, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,958 posts, read 3,913,649 times
Reputation: 5154

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
(I'll go back & read others' posts, but I'll post mine in here so far.)

2 in total. About 10 yrs ago, had a quick MRI on my ankle from an Achilles tendon rupture & it went fine & pretty quick.

I got my 1st ever non-contrast brain MRI done a few days ago for some off & on dizziness or vertigo-type feeling & will see the neuro about it next week. The technician also did an MRI on the inner ears too. I chose not to do the contrast part of it. I heard to avoid doing contrast as much you possibly can.

The experience itself was fine, about 20 min. I'm not claustrophobic or needed any meds to get through it. I can sit extremely still for a long time. The technician even played soft music. It seems though that after that MRI was done, the next times I had my usual long work days on the computer (8-14 hrs), I felt more/worse dizziness after that.

Never heard of open or closed, but if you're claustrophobic, do the OPEN type.

More about dangers of contrast:

I always try my best to go all-natural when handling any health issue if possible. That Gadolinium Contrast Medium (MRI Contrast agents) is, of course, a chemical that I choose not to have in my body if I can help it. I don't want to risk the negative side effects. Here are a few of many articles out there about it:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ast-agent.aspx

https://www.verywellhealth.com/heada...-scans-3972534

https://press.rsna.org/timssnet/medi...get.cfm?ID=810

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...r-mri-dye.html

https://consumer.healthday.com/healt...ts-729530.html

When I got my initial MRI authorization form, it was all new to me and the statement was very general and literally said, "special picture of the brain". I was in my gown about to start the MRI w/i seconds when I found out it was originally WITH & WITHOUT contrast. My very health-conscious mom said to avoid contrast at all costs too, so I refused to take it on the original date I was supposed to. I got a new referral stating WITHOUT CONTRAST and it was approved. It took a longer wait, but that's OK.
Re the Gadolinium issue. the Toshiba/Canon systems I worked on also have some patented protocols that can get the desired tissue contrast studies without having to use contrast media such as Gad. Again, I question the providers of these services as to why they do not give more credence to the needs of the patient. I am not in marketing so I guess those people know more about the whys and wherefores than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM
 
1,347 posts, read 609,123 times
Reputation: 2117
I've had about 15 head MRI's in the past 3 1/2 years. Usually take 90+ minutes, since they run the same sequence with and without contrast. I am not claustrophobic, so it's no big deal, but I usually fall asleep in the machine. It's not bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,958 posts, read 3,913,649 times
Reputation: 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
The “open” MRI is still a bit close and images are not quite as good. My doc specified the kind of MRI he wanted for images of my spine and open types wouldn’t cut it.

I think I am probably claustrophobic to some extent. The reason I say I think I am is because I close my eyes before going in and I DO NOT open them until I’m completely out of the machine. My place gave me foam ear plugs to use also.


Out of curiosity, did they have you roll the foam earplugs in your fingers until they squeezed into much thinner plugs before you inserted them? After you do that, they will attempt to expand back to original size and give you an excellent seal for the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,958 posts, read 3,913,649 times
Reputation: 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I've had about 15 head MRI's in the past 3 1/2 years. Usually take 90+ minutes, since they run the same sequence with and without contrast. I am not claustrophobic, so it's no big deal, but I usually fall asleep in the machine. It's not bad at all.
I hope you didn't get gadolinium on every scan you had. You should do some research on the issue surrounding that. One of the criteria I heard for still using it is that they don't use it repeatedly. Please do some research. Google "gadolinium accumulation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 PM
 
6,282 posts, read 3,534,541 times
Reputation: 14466
I've had several MRIs of my total spine. They let me pick the kind of music to hear, which helped a lot. You can ask for a little cloth to put over your eyes so you don't even see the tube and can keep your eyes closed more easily. The last technician also talked to me, telling me how long each segment would last, when it was half done etc. That talking helped a lot too. Good Luck. Tell yourself that many others have done it, and you can too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,097 posts, read 13,201,813 times
Reputation: 26751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I've had several MRIs of my total spine. They let me pick the kind of music to hear, which helped a lot. You can ask for a little cloth to put over your eyes so you don't even see the tube and can keep your eyes closed more easily. The last technician also talked to me, telling me how long each segment would last, when it was half done etc. That talking helped a lot too. Good Luck. Tell yourself that many others have done it, and you can too.
Yes. That is what I will tell myself.

All of these posts have given me good questions to ask about the procedure.

Many thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM
 
Location: New York Area
14,117 posts, read 5,593,000 times
Reputation: 11291
I had one MRI, in 1995. I had clouds in my right eye, likely from lifting some heavy boxes full of documents.

The florescient angiography (sp), a detailed examination of the eye, was inconclusive. My ophthalmologist ordered an MRI. The promised music didn't work but the exam was fine. The results were "boringly normal" to quote the reader of the test. I sent back to my ophthalmologist,who recommended a "baseline neurological" examination. I asked him if, perchance, they were looking for multiple sclerosis ("MS"). He confirmed that, and then I asked, if I tested positive would my plans for the next day change. He said "no." When he still pressed me to get the neurological study, I stood up, told him to "go jump in a lake" and walked out of the office.

Almost 24 years later, very few sick days in my life, aside from a minor TIA on Halloween 2017.

+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 09:40 PM
 
1,347 posts, read 609,123 times
Reputation: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I hope you didn't get gadolinium on every scan you had. You should do some research on the issue surrounding that. One of the criteria I heard for still using it is that they don't use it repeatedly. Please do some research. Google "gadolinium accumulation".
I'll check that out, thanks for the tip. However, since I had a very rare sino-nasal cancer and 60 gray units of radiation in addition to multiple surgeries, I am not going to worry too much about gadolinium accumulation. I am on a longer schedule now between MRI's, so won't be having as many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
16,833 posts, read 10,342,866 times
Reputation: 36338
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've been told I need an MRI to properly diagnose arthritis in my lower back. I am claustrophobic! This MRI will be a closed MRI, and I will need to remain totally still for 45 minutes. They will give me a valium if I request, although I have to request it beforehand. I am also concerned about pain, as I will remain totally still lying on my back. The need for a MRI has thrown me for a loop. I have seen Xrays that plainly show arthritis in my lower back. I suppose the need an MRI is for better diagnosis and treatment?

I also have the option of having an open MRI, but would have to drive an hour away to have it done.

If you have any experience with this, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience. I am resigned to doing it, but I am anxious about not freaking out inside that thing, and about the pain I might experience. I can call to schedule, and I can ask more questions about the procedure then.

I've looked at pics of both closed MRI an open MRI machines. Some of the open MRI machines look almost like the regular ones. Others look totally different. I am inclined to tough it out with the regular MRI, but the thought of entering head first into that machine give me anxious feelings.

Funny you should mention the part about claustrophobia, I normally am not, but when they shove me into that tunnel, my breathing starts getting rapid and I feel like I am being smothered. I like to think I am a fairly intelligent person, so I lay there and tell myself " Grow up, this isn't going to smother you, it is just a little tunnel ! I am able to get through it, but I have to admit it is not the most comfortable feeling and I feel like the roof is coming down on me.


Sometimes I feel like climbing out of there or saying "get me the Hell out of this thing !"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 04:34 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,727 posts, read 20,641,971 times
Reputation: 7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've been told I need an MRI to properly diagnose arthritis in my lower back. I am claustrophobic! This MRI will be a closed MRI, and I will need to remain totally still for 45 minutes. They will give me a valium if I request, although I have to request it beforehand. I am also concerned about pain, as I will remain totally still lying on my back. The need for a MRI has thrown me for a loop. I have seen Xrays that plainly show arthritis in my lower back. I suppose the need an MRI is for better diagnosis and treatment?

I also have the option of having an open MRI, but would have to drive an hour away to have it done.

If you have any experience with this, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience. I am resigned to doing it, but I am anxious about not freaking out inside that thing, and about the pain I might experience. I can call to schedule, and I can ask more questions about the procedure then.

I've looked at pics of both closed MRI an open MRI machines. Some of the open MRI machines look almost like the regular ones. Others look totally different. I am inclined to tough it out with the regular MRI, but the thought of entering head first into that machine give me anxious feelings.
I read all of your replies and some replies. I've had a few MRI's, they never used to bother me but do as I get older. I'm almost at the point of needing a valium. Real valium, not one of the generic ones. You really should call the prescribing doctor to get one otherwise if you can't do it, you'll have to reschedule.

As for the tech talking, I find it takes longer when they talk. I ask how long it will take, then I make sure I'm comfortable on the table. This includes no shoes and usually crossing my legs. They also put a pillow under my knees to stop my low back from hurting. Being comfortable on the table before going in makes all the difference. If you decide you're not comfortable or your heart starts racing, ask them to back you out.

As for having a headset for music, some places do not have them. The last place I went to did not. All MRI places are not equal. The ones closest to you may not have the newest technology. We have a place called South Jersey Radiology that's the most high tech for any test. I won't be going anywhere else any more; especially not the place where the headset doesn't work. You can stop by the facility or call to ask if they do have the headset if that's what you want. If you need to be knocked out, it's usually done at the local hospital, so there is that option too. My daughter has to get knocked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top