U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:48 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,527,565 times

Advertisements

I have wondered about this for ages. On TV, the first order of business is to dig that bullet out, no matter what. Yet I hear about people living with shrapnel in their bodies. I tried to look it up, but found only this. What does anybody know about this?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...etTheBulletOut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 AM

7,620 posts, read 4,686,468 times
Contemplating a side hustle as a secret agent?

All I know is wherever you are, there's always a veterinarian at hand ready to dig that bullet out for the right price. Then they drop it in a glass of alcohol, for some reason I can't fathom.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:25 PM

9,354 posts, read 6,251,862 times
TV is not real life!

It depends on where the bullet ends up

It is ALWAYS better to remove all traces of any foreign object. But, in cases where removal will do more hard (close to major blood vessels, nerve, spinal cord, deep in brain) it us usually safer to leave it alone unless, or until, it becomes a medical emergency to remove it.

Today, we see more complete removals yhan in the past because of advances in medical practice

Thi was actually a very good question

Old 02-02-2019, 02:25 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,056,977 times
Yea, and once the bullet was out, everything would be OK- no more bleeding or broken bones.

Remember the Superman TV show? The crook would empty his six-shooter at Superman who would stand there smiling with hands on hips as bullets bounced off his chest....But then when the frustrated crooked threw his empty gun at Superman, he'd duck!... What's up with that?

Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM

9,354 posts, read 6,251,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolamoto View Post
yea, and once the bullet was out, everything would be ok- no more bleeding or broken bones.

Remember the superman tv show? The crook would empty his six-shooter at superman who would stand there smiling with hands on hips as bullets bounced off his chest....but then when the frustrated crooked threw his empty gun at superman, he'd duck!... What's up with that?
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM

7,092 posts, read 2,911,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Remember the Superman TV show? The crook would empty his six-shooter at Superman who would stand there smiling with hands on hips as bullets bounced off his chest....But then when the frustrated crooked threw his empty gun at Superman, he'd duck!... What's up with that?
Wow, never noticed that! Guess I'll have to go watch some old Superman shows to see if you're right. Anyone care to join me for a binge watch? You bring the pizza, I'll get the disgusting sugary drinks.

OTOH, I've never liked superhero flicks. Too formulaic. You always know who's going to survive.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-02-2019 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Yea, and once the bullet was out, everything would be OK- no more bleeding or broken bones.

:
That is the part that cracks me up. Once that bullet is dug out with a rusty knife dipped in whiskey, and whiskey poured down the sufferer's throat, you're done, pal. Up you go!

Old 02-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Contemplating a side hustle as a secret agent?

All I know is wherever you are, there's always a veterinarian at hand ready to dig that bullet out for the right price. Then they drop it in a glass of alcohol, for some reason I can't fathom.
LOL, I wish. I need a side gig. Yeah, how DO those veterinarians pop up out of nowhere---eager and willing to do some illegal underground surgery. Here, bite on this stick!

And yeah, I know TV isn't real life but it doesn't stop me from wondering about it. Curiosity is good for ya, till it kills the cat.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

It is ALWAYS better to remove all traces of any foreign object.Thi was actually a very good question
OK, so this leads me to another question. Joint replacements are "foreign objects" as are pins, etc.
How does that work? (Since I have several)

Old 02-03-2019, 11:01 AM

13,209 posts, read 6,313,926 times
One of my mom’s friend had a bullet in his body. It was never dug out. He lived until his 70s. He worked at physical job too. I think it’s best to live the bullet there in his case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or