U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

2,547 posts, read 941,185 times

Advertisements

Sleep apnea is common especially now the population is so overweight.

Did your doctor tell you to lose weight, do aerobic exercise, and quit smoking as the best way to fend off apnea but then offered the breathing machine as the alternative or a temporary measure?
CLICK HERE
  • Overweight, male, with a family history of sleep apnea (???)
  • Over the age of 50, a smoker, affected by high blood pressure (???)
  • Black, Hispanic, or a Pacific Islander
  • Someone with a neck circumference greater than 15.75 inches (40 cm)
I don't want to wear the contraption either but if I want to live it is a good idea.

I wonder if you currently use an inhaler?

Last edited by kitty61; Yesterday at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,039,536 times
Interesting how none of the comments, except the last one, mentioned anything about possible causes of sleep apnea. Just said follow your doctor's advice, don't ask questions.

The most common causes of sleep apnea are, according to mainstream medicine, obesity, lack of exercise, and smoking. Yet most of the commenters never thought to ask the OP about any of that.

Did the OP's doctor mention any of those lifestyle factors? I have argued about this many times here in the past. The prevailing philosophy at this forum is ask your doctor, and do whatever they say. Minimal discussion of lifestyle, or of how modern living contributes to disease.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

20,963 posts, read 7,024,266 times
And yes Weight Reduction is listed here.

https://www.aastweb.org/blog/5-alter...atment-options

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

20,963 posts, read 7,024,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Interesting how none of the comments, except the last one, mentioned anything about possible causes of sleep apnea. Just said follow your doctor's advice, don't ask questions.

The most common causes of sleep apnea are, according to mainstream medicine, obesity, lack of exercise, and smoking. Yet most of the commenters never thought to ask the OP about any of that.

Did the OP's doctor mention any of those lifestyle factors? I have argued about this many times here in the past. The prevailing philosophy at this forum is ask your doctor, and do whatever they say. Minimal discussion of lifestyle, or of how modern living contributes to disease.
How true about your comments.. No matter what a conventional MD suggests for me I start to seek other avenues of healing. I always find them too.

And with the little time spent with patients, the MD has a pretty narrow one track mind even if they want to go to other possibilities for the issues.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Yesterday at 02:51 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

2,085 posts, read 907,672 times
Why did they call for the sleep study to begin with?

Lifestyle changes can help with sleep apnea in some cases. Are you overweight at all? Smoker? Enlarged adenoids or tonsils?

With sinus issues I wouldn't be surprised if that could be contributing to some sleep apnea? My sleep study showed mild sleep apnea, which my doctor determined was due to enlarged adenoids. I'd talk to your doctor about what could be causing those results and what you can possibly do yourself to help. Maybe seeing an ENT would be helpful

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

8,690 posts, read 8,872,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Why did they call for the sleep study to begin with?

Lifestyle changes can help with sleep apnea in some cases. Are you overweight at all? Smoker? Enlarged adenoids or tonsils?

With sinus issues I wouldn't be surprised if that could be contributing to some sleep apnea? My sleep study showed mild sleep apnea, which my doctor determined was due to enlarged adenoids. I'd talk to your doctor about what could be causing those results and what you can possibly do yourself to help. Maybe seeing an ENT would be helpful
I don't smoke (never have). Fifty nine years old. I weigh about 220 lbs. I'm 6'3". Under BMI guidelines I am overweight, but not obese. I am not aware of having enlarged tonsils or adenoids. Overall, my health is quite good.

I think the doctor ordered the test because of my age, my weight, and the fact that my spouse reported that I snore in my sleep. I do sometimes fall asleep in a chair in front of the t.v., but never at work or in my car.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

27,547 posts, read 38,897,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't smoke (never have). Fifty nine years old. I weigh about 220 lbs. I'm 6'3". Under BMI guidelines I am overweight, but not obese. I am not aware of having enlarged tonsils or adenoids. Overall, my health is quite good.

I think the doctor ordered the test because of my age, my weight, and the fact that my spouse reported that I snore in my sleep. I do sometimes fall asleep in a chair in front of the t.v., but never at work or in my car.
Next time you go to your dentist have him do one of those 360 degree scans. Mine did and while looking at it told me I have the smallest airway he's ever seen and asked if I used a CPAP. My airway closes w/o the constant pressure.

Constant Positive Air Pressure.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,039,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, weight can be a cause....even so, while losing weight one still needs to breathe.

And sinus issues have treatments they require as well.

Why the objection to a machine that pushes plain (or hydrated) air? No meds there.
No one objected to the machine. I objected to the fact that there was hardly any advice about trying to correct the cause.

Lifestyle diseases can be prevented, and can often be cured without medical interventions. A machine may be necessary, but it should not be the first thing you think of.

Yet the OP said nothing about lifestyle, and most comments said nothing about it.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

21,375 posts, read 22,538,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
No one objected to the machine. I objected to the fact that there was hardly any advice about trying to correct the cause.

Lifestyle diseases can be prevented, and can often be cured without medical interventions. A machine may be necessary, but it should not be the first thing you think of.

Yet the OP said nothing about lifestyle, and most comments said nothing about it.
No one is objecting to lifestyle changes if called for- but that is not always the case. And again, one still needs to breathe while other causes and remedies are researched. Nothing wrong with that. What I take issue with is the idea that *whatever* remedy is prescribed by an MD must be wrong.and a handful of "sups" is automatically assumed to be more effective.

Edit - I (and I'm pretty sure at least one other poster) absolutely did ask why the doctor ordered the test - docs generally don't run random tests for no reason. The OP did say his wife said he snored - that is a symptom if sleep apnea.

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,976,772 times
I am not suggesting this or anything to anyone, but for me, I had times where I woke up suddenly for not breathing, so I started sleeping with a fan blowing into my face, I have not had the problem since then.
I am a very very light sleeper and very sensitive to anything making me uncomfortable, no way I could ever sleep with the mask thing on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness