Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

I apologize for any overly stupid posts I've made in this thread. My wife is ill and I am stressed. Sometimes it comes out in my posts, which is wrong. I am going to refrain from further posting.

Tek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 12:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Geez, calm down, take a deep breath, think about things for a minute before you knee-jerk react and make an unfounded accusation like that....

I was not even referring to you in that post you quoted, and if you considered the context of your post and my response, you would realize that. You stated to a certain poster your opinion that her attempts to discredit sleep apnea management by traditional medicine ( like her innumerable posts attempting to discredit main stream medicine and its providers) could be dangerous to others who might take those posts seriously and might forego needed medical treatment. My response, referring to that poster, NOT YOU, was that hopefully your concern about this could be mostly unfounded if most people simply took this poster's negative comments about mainstream medicine with a grain of salt ( ie, with a healthy skepticism).

And perhaps a little more thought on this would beg the question, exactly why or about what would I accuse you of lying? I'm on your side regarding the importance of diagnosing sleep apnea, and the use of CPAP machines to treat it. You've related your positive experiences and outcomes on this topic, as I also have about my husband's sleep apnea. He wouldn't sleep without his CPAP set up at this point, and as his wife I can see the positive results from his getting enough quality sleep with it.
When you quote a post the obvious conclusion is that your comments regard that post. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Things have been a bit rough lately and I'm not thinking clearly.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When you quote a post the obvious conclusion is that your comments regard that post. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Things have been a bit rough lately and I'm not thinking clearly.
It's ok. I'm sorry for your troubles, and I hope things get better for you and your wife soon.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I think a sleep study is a bunch of BS IMO. My husband went for one 12/31/18. We called for the result's 2 weeks later and was told they did not have them yet. 1 week later I get a call from Apria health telling me my husband's C-Pap Machine has been order and ready to be shipped but that I had to pay $345.00 down and $40.00 a month for 9 months and then the Machine is mine. Mind you these people are calling from overseas call centers. I told the guy on the phone that we were not told of any C-pap machine being ordered and that no doctor or representative from the sleep study ever called us with any results. so we cancelled the C-PAP machine. I can't afford $345.00 right now plus all of the other medical bills associated with this sleep study and we have insurance but with a high deductible. My husband decided not to accept the machine and said if he dies from Sleep apnea oh well. He was furious at the lack of communication from the Hospital where the sleep study was done. As of today still no call and no results and he refuses to call. I support him 100% on this decision despite what some may say about it.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband decided not to accept the machine and said if he dies from Sleep apnea oh well. He was furious at the lack of communication from the Hospital where the sleep study was done. As of today still no call and no results and he refuses to call. I support him 100% on this decision despite what some may say about it.
That was like mine. My doctor sent me an e-mail and said "you have sleep apnea I will put in an order for a cap". I think I responded with something like "hold on there nelley"

First, I wanted to see the report. When she finally gave it to me.. I determined I did NOT have sleep apnea. Technically the diagnosis was that I had "mild" sleep apnea. But as I pointed out to her all over the report it said that they could not tell if some of the "severe" apneas were me getting up to use the facilities. Which I knew I did. I scored 84 where the lowest score was 79. Over and over on the report it said the doctor should consider if the result was of concern if it was close to the bottom of the scoring system.

I told my doctor this.. I got the passive aggressive no response. We haven't talked about it further but she insists on leaving the sleep apnea diagnosis on my record. I guess that is fair because "technically" the results say that.

This worked out excellently however when I wanted to qualify for medical marijuana. Thanks doc!

Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Everybody I know has mild sleep apnea, but nobody is wearing a CPAP. But they don’t fall asleep at work or when driving either. My MIL, a heavy snorer, possible sleep apnea, she died at age 87 of a stroke. She would have lived longer if she were not living alone at home.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Everybody I know has mild sleep apnea, but nobody is wearing a CPAP. But they don’t fall asleep at work or when driving either. My MIL, a heavy snorer, possible sleep apnea, she died at age 87 of a stroke. She would have lived longer if she were not living alone at home.
Perhaps with "mild" sleep apnea, one has a choice and may be ok if it's not treated. Anyone's guess, I suppose. But for people like my husband, who before his sleep apnea was diagnosed, frequently fell asleep wherever he was, including when he was driving, IMO diagnosing and treating his severe sleep apnea has saved his life.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I think a sleep study is a bunch of BS IMO. My husband went for one 12/31/18. We called for the result's 2 weeks later and was told they did not have them yet. 1 week later I get a call from Apria health telling me my husband's C-Pap Machine has been order and ready to be shipped but that I had to pay $345.00 down and $40.00 a month for 9 months and then the Machine is mine. Mind you these people are calling from overseas call centers. I told the guy on the phone that we were not told of any C-pap machine being ordered and that no doctor or representative from the sleep study ever called us with any results. so we cancelled the C-PAP machine. I can't afford $345.00 right now plus all of the other medical bills associated with this sleep study and we have insurance but with a high deductible. My husband decided not to accept the machine and said if he dies from Sleep apnea oh well. He was furious at the lack of communication from the Hospital where the sleep study was done. As of today still no call and no results and he refuses to call. I support him 100% on this decision despite what some may say about it.
I can't blame you for feeling this way in light of the fact that you and your husband were never notified or informed of the actual results of the sleep study. I'd be angry in that situation too.

It's the responsibility of the doctor that ordered the sleep study to make sure you get those results and to discuss them with you. A notification that a CPAP machine is on the way and oh by the way that'll be $345 down and $40 a month is a lousy substitute for what this doc should have done.

Good luck with all of this.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
How do you even know they have sleep apnea? Snoring is a possible sign but NOT a diagnosis. That's why they do a sleep study - to find out what it is and the severity.

Just because we hear more about sleep apnea people are overgeneralizing what it is, and then it suddenly isn't a big deal and can be ignored. I guess it is the typical cycle - something starts out as seemingly rare and it gets treated as something important but then as more is learned about it and it gets in the news then it is no longer shocking so who cares, it can be ignored "since everyone has it".

Just because a lot of people have a problem doesn't necessarily mean it is normal and doesn't mean there are no health problems associated with it.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
One thing to try before using the CPAP, is an elevated/wedge pillow.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Elev...w=1920&bih=871

It helps to get your lungs elevated. For 30+ years I have slept propped up using blankets or extra pillows. Although I never had a sleep study, I suffer from Asthma. If I laid flat on my back without them I can't breathe.

You could even get another sleep study done using an elevated/wedge pillow. Hopefully it will improve your results, so a CPAP machine won't be needed right away. If not, the pillow will still help you breathe easier as you sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness