Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times

Advertisements

I am already regretting letting my family doctor talk me into to getting a sleep study.

Yesterday, I got a call indicating that based on the information they got from the sleep study that I now have a diagnosis of "moderate sleep apnea". At one point my oxygen levels dropped to 79. The study information indicates that I might wake up as much as twenty times an hour while sleeping.

The crazy thing is that I do not feel tired when I get up. I've always managed well on six to seven hours of sleep in a day. I do not fall asleep at my desk at work. I do not fall asleep in my car.

I do not relish the thought of sleeping with a mask over my face for the rest of my life. I have had an issue in the past with sinus infections and I am concerned that I will get more of these wearing an oxygen mask all night. I'm confident both my parents had untreated sleep apnea and got through very long lives without any incident.

Is this something that is being over diagnosed and over treated? Or, am I overlooking a serious safety issue?

Does anyone here want to give me any guidance? Is there any way I can safely avoid this whole sleep apnea treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
What reason did your doctor have for ordering the sleep study?

I put off doing it for years, knowing there was a family history because I didn't want to sleep with a mask. Now, I wouldn't sleep without it.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM

776 posts, read 955,317 times
Perhaps YOU should think about it this way...

... " I didn't think I had sleep apnea, until one night I stopped breathing,, and stayed that way...."

That's what sleep apnea is.......You STOP breathing for up to 2 minutes at a time, which puts tremendous stress on your brain and heart and lungs.

The CPAP mask is entirely washable, as is the oxygen supply tube and the securing straps. Weekly cleaning is the key. I bet that your sleeping pillow has more bacteria in it than you might think.

A lack of information is the usual reason for people talking themselves out of having both the sleep test and the machine if recommended by a MD. Its foolish to suffer when the solution is so available.

I have sleep apnea, have had it for a number of years before getting a confirmed diagnosis in 2009. My cost for my machine ( after the Provincial supplemental co payment ) was $600. Its the best thing I have ever done for myself. I have a retest sleep study every 2 years that is 100 percent covered by the Ontario Provincial health care plan.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:33 AM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
I've had a CPAP for almost 5 years. Took several years to find a mask I like (I tolerated and used the others) Medicare Part B covered the unit and covers all supplies

I am using an AirFit F 20 https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthc...irfit-f20.html it's foam lined

We travel with our CPAPs

OP, get and use your CPAP

Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
OP: YOu make the comment over diagnosed and over treated, I feel exactly that is what is going on in Western medicine in the last 20-30 yrs...test after test after test, $$$$

I don't know how my parents and their generations made their long lives with no sleep masks. ummm and yes I think a lot of my life as compared to those before me.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 AM

16 posts, read 10,306 times
Default Sleep Apnea Diagnosis

I went and got tested even though I was sure that was my problem,after being tested I was told that I stop breathing when I sleep on my back or stomach but not at all on my right side so now I have pillows behind me so I can't turn over and so far it's working,I decided to go this route because when I had surgery (unrelated)I almost went nuts when they put that mask on me and they had to first give me a shot to get me sleepy.They have many new masks on the market now some are partial,if you really have to get one look into them.Whatever you do good look.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:31 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
So you got a medical test for no reason?

Nothing changes now that you have the results, if you do not want it to. No one will force you to get a CPAP.

Your just lowering your lifespan - your choice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-05-2019, 11:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Ask them if you had the apnea when sleeping on your side. If NOT, put 4 or so empty Campbell's Soup-type cans in socks, safety-pin them onto the back of a sturdy shirt, and sleep in that (backsleeping will no longer be comfortable).

Works great for regular snoring, too.

My spouse could not tolerate a CPAP (claustrophobia of sorts).

Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Reluctant CPAP user here. Very reluctant. When I finally took the test I only slept 3 1/2 hours in a noisy environment. Who designs areas where you take a sleep test that are noisy? Idiots, that's who. In those 3 1/2 hours I stopped breathing 121 times.

So I broke down and got a CPAP. Smartest thing I ever did. I, too, slept well (I thought). I was never tired during the day, etc.

Now I know I really wasn't sleeping as well as I thought. I am now a strong proponent and never sleep w/o it. BTW, it does not count as a carry on item since it's medical.

I use this type of mask because it's minimal. Just two pillows that fit in the nose and a couple of straps. The pillows sometimes leak around the edge. Just pull on them a little and let them snap back. They seal up again.

https://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-a...yABEgK9QfD_BwE

Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: YOu make the comment over diagnosed and over treated, I feel exactly that is what is going on in Western medicine in the last 20-30 yrs...test after test after test, $$$$

I don't know how my parents and their generations made their long lives with no sleep masks. ummm and yes I think a lot of my life as compared to those before me.
I know you think anything a doctor says is suspect, but to minimize sleep apnea is irresponsible. And yes, I know you didn't actually say that, but it is implied. There are some subjects about which you should stay silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness