U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:05 PM

20,981 posts, read 7,057,627 times

Advertisements

Kara, sounds like "super woman" had too much. Maybe time to re-think and re-group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,110,203 times
You never believe burnout is a real thing until it happens to you. But it's happened to you. The doctor is not a bad idea, though a vacation sounds just as much in order.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Status: "Most innocent people need to hire 35 lawyers at some point" (set 27 days ago)

17,039 posts, read 7,595,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Go to your doctor and get a workup/mental health evaluation.
A friend of mine collapsed like that. His kids finally dragged him to a doctor. Turned out he had non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

SEE A DOCTOR.

(My friend has completed treatment and is doing well.)

Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,293,599 times
Go to the doctor. It could be anything.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 PM

2,581 posts, read 949,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Five days ago, I went home from work and collapsed on the couch. And I mean, I was out. No energy, no appetite, my body just went into complete shutdown mode. No fever, no aches, just exhaustion. It felt like when I had mono in college, but I'm 60 and that's not supposed to be a possibility at my age. I struggled to eat about 4 bites of soup a day. I pretty much laid there 24/7 until this afternoon.

Today I was able to go to work a few hours, but now I'm really weak from not eating enough and I feel dehydrated. I just want to feel okay again. Just not hungry, just like when I had mono. I slept for 6 weeks back then.

I'm sure this is caused by stress and overwork. Been working 7 days a week in our business for two months plus business trips plus a variety of other major stresses - death in family, family moving in with us, crazy violent neighbor, two small claims cases, granddaughter in and out of psych facility, plus more. I've stayed positive through all of this, continued my role as encourager and fixer and I have a strong support group of family and friends. And typically I sleep very well, 8 hours a night. I don't have any health issues and I'm not on any meds. Yep, I thought I was invincible.

Anyone else ever go through something like this? Any suggestions on getting my strength back?
Yes, been there. It's called burn-out, nervous breakdown. Rest, rest, rest. The best way is to take a leave of absence which I suspect you won't do. I think you are stuffing your feelings down so far and hard that you have been holding back the volcano for long time but it has burst. It is boiling up and erupting. You need to learn healthy coping tools and you get that by seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist who will guide you and show you how to do it. The volcano will keep spewing unless you get some coping mechanisms.

Above all do not drink your way through the it!! That's the fastest way to become dependent to the soothing effects. Avoid benzos (like Valium) for the same reason.

In my opinion you need hospital.

Good luck!!

Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM

3,905 posts, read 1,402,804 times
If you are into holistic health, make an appointment with a naturopath - have a complete blood/urine lab test workout . . . see what your current baseline is and then make modifications to your lifestyle based on what is discovered.

You should not ignore this incident.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 AM

1,207 posts, read 371,810 times
I agree with those who suggest an MD visit for an evaluation. It sounds like you have an incredible amount of stuff on your plate. We many not FEEL like we are suffering stress from our burdens, but your body will eventually force you to notice. Please see your doctor.

You may also be suffering from some depression - trust me. I've gone through this. I never 'felt' depressed until I spoke to someone about it.

Another suggestion I would offer is to adjust those responsibilities. It sounds hokey, but create peace around you. Stop working long hours (for now), exercise, eat well, and get a good night's sleep - every night. Rest is critical to health - physical and mental. Stop being the encourager in chief. Hand off some of that 'responsibility' to others. Deal with the violent neighbor. Clear up all the environmental stressors.
Try some mindfulness or meditative practices. You cannot be everything to everyone.
Sending positive vibes your way - for what it's worth. I wish you well.

Old Today, 09:08 AM

3,506 posts, read 2,507,242 times
Thanks all! Left town and spending time cuddling with our grandbabies and taking a break from thinking about work and all these other stressors. While I would like to avoid as many as possible, sometimes it's impossible. My husband and I are going to try to figure out how we can change our work schedules so we get more time off. Feeling back to normal and my appetite is coming back.

Old Today, 09:18 AM

7,440 posts, read 6,915,810 times
Quote:
Five days ago, I went home from work and collapsed on the couch. And I mean, I was out. No energy, no appetite, my body just went into complete shutdown mode. No fever, no aches, just exhaustion. It felt like when I had mono in college, but I'm 60 and that's not supposed to be a possibility at my age. I struggled to eat about 4 bites of soup a day. I pretty much laid there 24/7 until this afternoon.

Today I was able to go to work a few hours, but now I'm really weak from not eating enough and I feel dehydrated. I just want to feel okay again. Just not hungry, just like when I had mono. I slept for 6 weeks back then.

I'm sure this is caused by stress and overwork. Been working 7 days a week in our business for two months plus business trips plus a variety of other major stresses - death in family, family moving in with us, crazy violent neighbor, two small claims cases, granddaughter in and out of psych facility, plus more. I've stayed positive through all of this, continued my role as encourager and fixer and I have a strong support group of family and friends. And typically I sleep very well, 8 hours a night. I don't have any health issues and I'm not on any meds. Yep, I thought I was invincible.

Anyone else ever go through something like this? Any suggestions on getting my strength back?
Shingles or a very bad flu. Those could be brought on by overwork. Drink Gatorade to replace your electrolytes as severe fatigue is sign of imbalance. But you'll still probably have to crash for a while to recover.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

5,268 posts, read 1,750,541 times
Quote:

You don't need a doctor. You need a vacation. NO ONE could keep functioning with all that going on.

You need rest, healthy food and reduced stress. Do that for a few weeks and see where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or