Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 02:24 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Safer, yes - but whether these alternative methods are just as effective is debatable. I hate edibles because you have less control over dosage (even when they're labeled), and in my experiences I go from zero to TRIPPING OUT with no happy medium.
As a long-time consumer of edibles, I would like to second this and to say that people who are new to cannabis should be very, very conservative with the dosage. Edibles look as innocuous as snacks - they are sold in forms such as popcorn, sodas, gummis or candy - and it's easy to overdo it.

Standard dosage per item is 10 mg., but that's way too much for a beginner. It is best to start with 2.5 mg. or less and wait at least two hours to see how you tolerate it before upping the dose. It can take that long to feel the full effect.

That said, if you do happen to OD on edibles, it is not pleasant but not life-threatening unless you have a cardiac condition (THC can induce feelings of panic, which can increase your heart rate). The worst thing that will happen is that you will either feel awful for a few hours or fall asleep.

CBD works really well to counteract these unpleasant effects. It's like Narcan for THC. I've also heard that chewing black peppercorns is an antidote, though I've never had an occasion to try this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 02:38 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I'm happy to say that MJ does NOT reduce desire for sex in most people in my experience. In fact it makes many people quite amorous, and increases the enjoyment of the experience for many. I have never known anyone with the lack of libido attributable to MJ that 20yearsinBranson refers to, and trust me I know a lot of stoners. In fact, in my personal experience of my own female libido, and that of my male partners, I've never seen a decline in desire or performance. If such were true, there wouldn't be so many happy MJ users.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:44 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
That said, if you do happen to OD on edibles, it is not pleasant but not life-threatening unless you have a cardiac condition (THC can induce feelings of panic, which can increase your heart rate). The worst thing that will happen is that you will either feel awful for a few hours or fall asleep.
This issue came up recently:

https://gizmodo.com/you-cant-od-on-p...ome-1832562834

Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Better than hearsay.

What hearsay ? I mentioned things that happened to my friends. But since most of y'all stoners have a vested interest in seeing it legalized, we should not expect any rational comments from you.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm happy to say that MJ does NOT reduce desire for sex in most people in my experience. In fact it makes many people quite amorous, and increases the enjoyment of the experience for many. I have never known anyone with the lack of libido attributable to MJ that 20yearsinBranson refers to, and trust me I know a lot of stoners. In fact, in my personal experience of my own female libido, and that of my male partners, I've never seen a decline in desire or performance. If such were true, there wouldn't be so many happy MJ users.
Yes, it enhances the experience a great degree for me, too.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:50 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Several very serious cases of life wasting and crippling mental issues. I am friends with a couple former heavy users who despise it now and have educated me in the dangers of modern weed, the very high THC content type which was not around when we were teens. This is nothing like the hippies smoked back when your parents were kids. Even a regular variety when heavily used will trigger a change in your personality. Who knew messing with your brain using psychotropics could cause issues, eh ?

Btw, I am seeing the same types of effects on my next door neighbor who smokes everyday. Anxiety, paranoia, depression, acting irrational, staying home all the time...And this is light compared to what I saw in the past.
You cite anecdotal evidence to support your opinion that cannabis causes crippling mental issues.
Others cite anecdotal evidence to back their assertion that cannabis is totally safe and cures everything.

Regardless, it should be decriminalized and studied further.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:07 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
If sorel's friends started smoking when teens or early twenties, that may be the problem. It is definitely not recommended for brains still developing, also, they may have been self medicating for mental or emotional issues.

Most people I know are like my husband: he gets up goes to the gym, runs errands, eats healthy, walks the dogs, works in the yard, might meet friends for lunch, and towards the end of the day may smoke. This does not cause him to become a couch potato, he is still doing things, helps with dinner, etc. I'm not going to fret about it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
What hearsay ? I mentioned things that happened to my friends. But since most of y'all stoners have a vested interest in seeing it legalized, we should not expect any rational comments from you.
I had a BIL and a friend's son that both died at 50. Both had been heavy users forever. They also consumed alcohol and did whatever else they could come across. I cannot say definitely that MJ caused their deaths. It is the lifestyle that I blame. Both of them had parents that died one year before they died and they had inherited money; so it was one big party until the end.

All of us that have been around before and through the Vietnam war know somebody that was stoner that dropped out of society. And, yes, many abused other substances and some of those other substances were legal and some were not. I worry about the message legalization sends to our young. I worry about the example that the parents give their young. I also worry about increased accidents on our roads. We are being herded down this rosy garden path and not too many are fighting to accomplish that with caution.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Do you prefer anecdotal? Anyone can say anything on the Internet.

And the problem with your statement is that I am not a stoner.

So we have more hearsay and anecdotes piling up over there. lol

Old 02-13-2019, 05:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had a BIL and a friend's son that both died at 50. Both had been heavy users forever. They also consumed alcohol and did whatever else they could come across. I cannot say definitely that MJ caused their deaths. It is the lifestyle that I blame. Both of them had parents that died one year before they died and they had inherited money; so it was one big party until the end.

All of us that have been around before and through the Vietnam war know somebody that was stoner that dropped out of society. And, yes, many abused other substances and some of those other substances were legal and some were not. I worry about the message legalization sends to our young. I worry about the example that the parents give their young. I also worry about increased accidents on our roads. We are being herded down this rosy garden path and not too many are fighting to accomplish that with caution.

On the plus side they will be slow moving vehicles. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness