Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Cartels? Who said anything about cartels?

Cartels are the black market, but the black market is not necessarily "the Cartel."
Our federal government has spent a lot of effort to make the Drug Cartels big.

Today we stand at a unique place in history. Growing marijuana is legal in many states, so we are seeing a lot of US Citizens growing in their backyards and black market selling to their neighbors.

This cottage-industry black market is about the best way going to shut down the CIA's efforts to support the cartels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My son's many trips to the ER. I hate when people say there are no health issues. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cann...mesis_syndrome
I'm sorry about your daughter, but the first paragraph said treatment is taking a shower or bath.... and stop injesting cannabis.

I mean, if I'm diabetic, and I keep eating sugar, I'll end up in the hospital, that doesn't mean that sugar consumption (while not good) is SO bad it should be made illegal for others.

I thing that when discussing anything, it is important to differentiate between use, and abuse.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 02-14-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,078,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So in your world-view, the primary 'problem' with marijuana is the behavior of children?

That would clearly be a parenting issue. I agree there are bad parents. But nothing in this thread is going to cause parents to decide to be better parents.
Not at all.

Person A said - pot isn't bad for you.
Person B said - yes it is, I had to take my child to the emergency room a bunch of times because of it.
Person A said - if it were legal, the person who sold weed to your child would be out of business.

I entered the conversation and said - that is not an accurate statement. Legalization will not put an end to people selling weed to children.

The poster named hunterseat is the parent. I feel empathy for hunterseat. I don't think you can fairly assert that hunterseat is a bad parent. But go for it.

For the record, once again, I want an end to prohibition. But even though I agree with ocnjgirl, I will call out factual errors when I see them. I think it is helpful.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm sorry about your daughter, but the first paragraph said treatment is taking a shower or bath.... and stop injesting cannabis.

I mean, if I'm diabetic, and I keep eating sugar, I'll end up in the hospital, that doesn't mean that sugar consumption (while not good) is SO bad it should be made illegal for others.
Thanks for this excellent point.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,517,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Cartels are not going to be what they are now when their only market is kids. Kids will get it the same way they get alcohol now, ask a 21 year old brother, fake I.d., steal it from their parents, etc. that’s the American way, lol. But at least it will be standardized and meet quality and safety standards.

You’re right I should not have made it a definitive statement.
Marijuana is not a cash cow for drug cartels, they dont fight and kill each other over marijuana turf and smuggling routes, that is relegated to heroin, cocaine and now with meth to some degree.

When I was using heroin a couple years ago, it was around $150-180 PER GRAM!! (more valuable than gold), marijuana was around $50 for a half bag (half oz).

Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,517,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner;54431894[B
]Our federal government has spent a lot of effort to make the Drug Cartels big.[/b]

Today we stand at a unique place in history. Growing marijuana is legal in many states, so we are seeing a lot of US Citizens growing in their backyards and black market selling to their neighbors.

This cottage-industry black market is about the best way going to shut down the CIA's efforts to support the cartels.
Absolutely correct!!

Just look at how aggressive the DEA/Fed govt cracked down on opioid prescription drugs when they started to become popular with addicts....they had to get rid of the competition for the cartels...so now we have heroin epidemics and not painkiller epidemics!!

We have an entire Federal agency in place (DEA), to ensure the drug cartels profit as much as possible!!

Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Marijuana is not a cash cow for drug cartels, they dont fight and kill each other over marijuana turf and smuggling routes, that is relegated to heroin, cocaine and now with meth to some degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
. . . we are seeing a lot of US Citizens growing in their backyards and black market selling to their neighbors. This cottage-industry black market is about the best way going to shut down the CIA's efforts to support the cartels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Absolutely correct!! Just look at how aggressive the DEA/Fed govt cracked down on opioid prescription drugs when they started to become popular with addicts....they had to get rid of the competition for the cartels...so now we have heroin epidemics and not painkiller epidemics!! We have an entire Federal agency in place (DEA), to ensure the drug cartels profit as much as possible!!
rstevens62, your posts seem to contradict each other.

First you say that weed is chump change for cartels, then you agree with Submariner that the cottage-industry black market resulting from citizens growing in their backyards and selling to their neighbors is "about the best way going to shut down the CIA's efforts to support the cartels."

Just trying to get clear on what you mean.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:51 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,807,132 times
Joe Rogan had this guy on a few days ago and you can listen to how clueless and full of BS Berenson is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHwSmwEwmV4

Old 02-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Joe Rogan had this guy on a few days ago and you can listen to how clueless and full of BS Berenson is
Ziva Cooper, research director at UCLA’s Cannabis Research Initiative and committee member on the National Academy’s report, told Rolling Stone that Berenson misinterpreted their conclusions about schizophrenia.

“To say that we concluded cannabis causes schizophrenia, it’s just wrong, and it’s meant to precipitate fear,” Cooper said, mentioning the association between schizophrenia and cannabis use required more evidence before drawing any definitive conclusions.

“People who have schizophrenia are also known to be very heavy tobacco smokers, but we don’t say that tobacco causes schizophrenia,” she added.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...olling-777741/

Old 02-14-2019, 02:40 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Not at all.

Person A said - pot isn't bad for you.
Person B said - yes it is, I had to take my child to the emergency room a bunch of times because of it.
Person A said - if it were legal, the person who sold weed to your child would be out of business.

I entered the conversation and said - that is not an accurate statement. Legalization will not put an end to people selling weed to children.

The poster named hunterseat is the parent. I feel empathy for hunterseat. I don't think you can fairly assert that hunterseat is a bad parent. But go for it.

For the record, once again, I want an end to prohibition. But even though I agree with ocnjgirl, I will call out factual errors when I see them. I think it is helpful.
There will always be people who have a serious reaction to peanuts, or to milk, or marijuana.

Simply because 1 person out of every 100,000 people has such a reaction, does not make peanuts 'bad' for everyone.

That has nothing to do with bad parenting.

If your minor child has cash in his pocket and goes out to buy an illegal substance, I point to bad parenting. Why does this minor child have so much cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness