U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 AM

7,436 posts, read 6,913,320 times

Advertisements

He makes a misleading claim.

"Hard data on the relationship between marijuana and madness dates back 150 years, to British asylum registers in India. "

Any drug that affects the mind has the ability to worsen a pre-existing mental illness, but it does not cause it.

The article reminds me of a lot of other recent NY Times articles covering politics where the writer presents a series of claims based on assumptions and doesn't provide any read evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 11:34 AM

2,091 posts, read 912,044 times
Darn that Devil's Lettuce

Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM

1,139 posts, read 949,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I hereby refuse to click that link as it's most likely nonsense.
I read some of it, it's non-sense. Likely published as NY State considers legalizing marijuana for all adult use.

None of his expertise is in the medical field or medical research. His wife is a Doctor at a mental hospital of the criminally insane. She draws the conclusion that since an inmate smoked marijuana ALL HIS LIFE marijuana causes mental illness. As others have pointed out, that is not correct and there are many studies he somehow missed that have the same conclusion that it might exacerbate an existing condition but does not cause the mental illness.

He lost me when he said that alcohol and marijuana are too weak to be effective pain killers. Both are not true. Marijuana will act on migraine headaches faster than aspirin (see the research on line) and doesn't have the side effect of possibly killing you. Aspirin can kill you, and the other pain killers, like Tylenol, will affect your liver negatively, even when used according to directions. It is also easy to overdose on Tylenol.

Alcohol is the drug of choice at my wife's orthopedic Dr's office according to the packed waiting room there. Yes, it's anecdotal, but really does anyone really think alcohol is not an effective pain killer?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta is a practicing neurosurgeon. After extensive research, he changed his mind and he now supports the legalization of marijuana/cannabis.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Status: "Most innocent people need to hire 35 lawyers at some point" (set 26 days ago)

17,033 posts, read 7,590,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I hereby refuse to click that link as it's most likely nonsense.
Good call.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:17 PM

28,903 posts, read 44,234,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Despite the negative sounding outlook of the short introductory statement of this review of the medical literature, the real message of the article is that the medical dangers of cannabis are not evident until its use becomes quite excessive. It's much safer than alcohol or tobacco use.
Yep. And in most cases where it's "linked" to schizophrenia, it becomes a question of the chicken vs the egg - in other words, did the cannabis cause the illness (unlikely), or were they just self-medicating a pre-existing condition (more likely)? As of yet, there have been no credible studies or sources to prove the former.

Quote:
I'm not a user. I don't why anyone would want to alter their consciousness unless they're really unhappy with themselves. I don't get it, but then I'm an optimist.
That's way off base, as if you'd said people are obviously unhappy with themselves if they eat donuts, or ride rollercoasters, or have the occasional beer. It's human/animal nature to seek pleasure, and we all have our pleasurable activities of choice. Have you ever sipped a glass of wine or beer at home? If so, are YOU unhappy with your life? Because that's about the same level of "altering one's consciousness," and yet nobody ever judges that behavior for some reason. But if I choose to smoke a little pot at the end of a long day, that means I'm unhappy with my life? Uh, no. My life is pretty good thanks.

Also, cannabis DOES have valid medical benefits. I've suffered from arthritis since childhood, and sometimes cannabis is the only thing that really offers me relief... it can also keep a cancer or AIDs patient from wasting away, thus improving and possibly extending their quality of life, along with dozens of other medical uses. It doesn't "cure" anything, but does provide relief in a much safer manner than most pharmaceuticals. So yeah, there's that too.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
He lost me when he said that alcohol and marijuana are too weak to be effective pain killers. Both are not true. Marijuana will act on migraine headaches faster than aspirin (see the research on line) and doesn't have the side effect of possibly killing you. Aspirin can kill you, and the other pain killers, like Tylenol, will affect your liver negatively, even when used according to directions. It is also easy to overdose on Tylenol.
I'm "sensitive" aka allergic to aspirin, and more than once, almost gave myself an ulcer from taking too much Ibuprofen. Never had those problems with cannabis, and it usually works much better anyway! From arthritis pain to migraines to indigestion, it really does relieve just about anything; and with no noticeable side effects, other than maybe getting the munchies.

I've also lost a handful of loved ones to cancer (brain, breast, ovarian, pancreatic, etc), and cannabis allowed them to have SOME quality of life towards the end. One of these people was my mother's partner of 12 years, and he was in terrible pain during his final months with pancreatic cancer... she ended up getting a caregiver's license (before it was legalized for recreational use), which enabled her to purchase edibles and CBD products for him. I'm sure he tried whatever man-made pharmaceuticals the hospital gave him first, but it was the cannabis that eventually gave him the ability to eat and function for a while longer. If you want to know why there's still push-back from the medical community over this, just follow the money trail to their pharmaceutical companies and contracts.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:37 PM

18,593 posts, read 15,560,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1402309

Despite the negative sounding outlook of the short introductory statement of this review of the medical literature, the real message of the article is that the medical dangers of cannabis are not evident until its use becomes quite excessive. It's much safer than alcohol or tobacco use.

Follow the directions on the site to get a free view of the article.

I'm not a user. I don't why anyone would want to alter their consciousness unless they're really unhappy with themselves. I don't get it, but then I'm an optimist. In fact, I remember coming down one Christmas morning and finding my stocking full of horse manure. I figured they bought me a pony!...I was disappointed, but not discouraged.
Marijuana doesn’t make you feel out of it. It helps me focus (ADD) and makes me more productive, not less. It somehow gets me past the “stuck” feeling the ADD causes, into an “action” phase. It also makes me more conscious, more appreciative of the beauty around me, and more aware. I can see the truth when I smoke, while ordinarily I can justify things to myself when I’m not under its’ influence. In any case, it’s not at all like being drunk or anything like that if that is what you mean by altered consciousness.

It doesn’t help at all when I get migraines however, still need the prescription migraine meds.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 PM

5,613 posts, read 6,579,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
He lost me when he said that alcohol and marijuana are too weak to be effective pain killers. Both are not true.
Having had chronic pain for nearly 40 years, I *know* that alcohol can be of use. For me, it is preferable to other drugs. I can't take codeine or any of its analogues or derivatives, morphine dulls my brain to the point where I am non-functional. Darvocet used to be my go-to, it didn't screw up my head or cause any other debilitating side-effects, but it was pulled from the market. I have a script for tramadol but it causes motion sickness (especially if someone else is driving) and slows me down so I don't take it unless I'm hurting *really* badly, especially if I am at work where drinking on the job will get me fired (but it's perfectly acceptable for me to take tramadol, since it is 'prescribed')- but, even then if I *have* to take it, I only take 1/4 of the prescribed dose and augment it with Tylenol, it takes the 'edge' of enough where I can tolerate it (I have a fairly high pain-tolerance, so I just want to dull it enough to where I can move).

I don't like dope, it either makes me puke or puts me to sleep, and if I used it that would get me fired too.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Marijuana doesn’t make you feel out of it. It helps me focus (ADD) and makes me more productive, not less. It somehow gets me past the “stuck” feeling the ADD causes, into an “action” phase. It also makes me more conscious, more appreciative of the beauty around me, and more aware. I can see the truth when I smoke, while ordinarily I can justify things to myself when I’m not under its’ influence. In any case, it’s not at all like being drunk or anything like that if that is what you mean by altered consciousness.
I also have ADD, and agree with this 100%. If I could smoke before work (I only feel comfortable with using it after/off hours), I would probably ditch the pills altogether! People who haven't used cannabis tend to think it's an "all or nothing," like taking a hit of heroin - as though you can only be sober or TOTALLY BAKED. Those of us who do have experience with it knows that's false, and just like with alcohol, your level of impairment depends on how much and what type you're using. These days I'd have to smoke a VERY high quantity and quality to feel "baked," while the amount I typically use only takes the edge off a little. Similar to having a beer or two vs multiple shots of tequila.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 PM

15,812 posts, read 15,814,680 times
Dangers in all sorts of stuff............every year many people die or get severely sick/damaged from various vaccinations.

Pot has its pluses and minuses, that concept is applicable to almost everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or