Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:37 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Ever wonder why they don't bust people who are higher up on the food chain? Like they can't figure out who's providing the dealers with the product?

In the end it’s people like El Chapo, who who is now in jail. But it took decades to get him there. I think part of the reason they don’t, is that it’s not really about ending drug use, I think even the Warriors on the war of drugs know that’s not possible. But there is an entire industry now that is dependent upon the drug war and I think they bust users just to keep that going. It’s not really much different than busting prostitutes, and not going after the people at the top of the sex slave trade. Nobody really cares that you were sold to a pimp when you were 13, just pay your fine and go. The coffers are down this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Maybe so.

It's even possible that many who think they are doing it for recreational purposes are actually driven by an underlying medical need that they're not even aware of.

When I was diagnosed with depression many years ago, it was like a light bulb moment. Finally it all made sense.

I think it should be decriminalized for any purpose. People should not be incarcerated for consuming a plant they can grow, even if it's just for fun.
Right, there’s this a line drawn at having fun. It can’t cause fun or then it’s a sin! Left over from Puritan days. Course that standard is never applied to alcohol.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right, there’s this a line drawn at having fun. It can’t cause fun or then it’s a sin! Left over from Puritan days. Course that standard is never applied to alcohol.
It has been in the past, but yeah, rare.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Ever wonder why they don't bust people who are higher up on the food chain? Like they can't figure out who's providing the dealers with the product?

Well, Ultimately, in order to continue to justify waging the drug war, to continue to get budget money, equipment, staff, etc, there needs to be a significant drug problem, that means, there must be a consistent flow of drugs coming in and reaching their destination. It sounds crazy, but when you think about it, its logical.

Hypothetically, if they went into Mexico and destroyed the poppy fields, the processing facilities, etc, and stopped the flow of heroin, this would have a domino effect in the US, all the sudden, city and county police depts no longer have drug investigations or arrests (no drugs coming in anymore), no more drug related crime (if the dealers have no drugs to sell, no point in addicts robbing a store to get drug money)

Suddenly there are alot of cops standing around without much to do.

Some people will counter this and say well, they went after Chapo Guzman and he is in prison for life now...but they dont factor in , that he is no longer running the cartel, and that his arrest and conviction did not reduce or stop the drug flow at all, the cartel he did run, is still operating business as usual, but with a new boss, they are still supplying the US with drugs.I didnt understand why his arrest and conviction was something to celebrate, he is insignificant in the drug trade, he longer runs a cartel, he doesnt have access to their funds anymore either.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
That's hilarious. You like extremes, don't you?
It is said that to prove an argument you have to take it to the extreme.
What you do does not work well.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
That's hilarious. You like extremes, don't you?
It is said that to prove an argument you have to take it to the extreme.
What you do does not work well.
I’m not bringing anything to extremes. I am responding to posters stating they have no problem with medicinal use but disapprove of recreational use. That makes use for fun over the line for these posters, which is exactly what my post referenced. If it’s needed it’s fine, if you just want want to enjoy it, apparently not.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
I’m not bringing anything to extremes. I am responding to posters stating they have no problem with medicinal use but disapprove of recreational use. That makes use for fun over the line for these posters, which is exactly what my post referenced. If it’s needed it’s fine, if you just want want to enjoy it, apparently not.
Ultimately, those that are against marijuana legalization for recreational purposes, are (by default) in support of the drug cartels and criminal organizations, Legalization brings Govt regulation and taxes...obviously they prefer the way it is now, the criminals making all the rules and money.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ultimately, those that are against marijuana legalization for recreational purposes, are (by default) in support of the drug cartels and criminal organizations, Legalization brings Govt regulation and taxes...obviously they prefer the way it is now, the criminals making all the rules and money.
There seems to be a lingering belief that having it illegal makes it hard to get or keeps it out of the hands of kids. Truthfully, it is much harder to find a supplier in your 50's than it was when we were 15. Kids are the ones who have the most access when it's illegal, any middle school kid can tell you who to talk to.

I have long thought we could solve many budget problems by legalizing and taxing not just pot, but prostitution too. Billions and billions going to "end" practices that no one has been able to make a dent in in 2000 years. Keeping them illegal really just lines the pockets of law enforcement industry and hurts the victims, whether by sex trafficking or crimes brought by cartels. But still that old Puritanical attitude that anything enjoyable must be sinful keeps us stuck in "wars" we'll never win.

That's the joke about the "caravans" of people coming from Central America escaping the cartels and we act like it has nothing to do with us. It is us who ruined their countries and handed them to the drug cartels, because Americans are far and away their biggest customers. I don't know why anyone thinks it's better to keep giving them the money than a couple of northern California hippies with a home equity loan and a dream.

Cartels own much more than drugs now, too. They have also apparently taken over (by force) many Avocado farms in Mexico and are now one of the largest importers of Avocados. There's a show called Adam Ruins Everything, where the host exposes the truth about many issues (thus "ruining" them for the viewer) who had a segment on it (below). He said pretty much every time you buy an Avocado that's not domestic, you're supporting a cartel.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YHwbC3xZTD5Ay6

Old 02-20-2019, 01:22 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Cartels own much more than drugs now, too. They have also apparently taken over (by force) many Avocado farms in Mexico and are now one of the largest importers of Avocados. There's a show called Adam Ruins Everything, where the host exposes the truth about many issues (thus "ruining" them for the viewer) who had a segment on it (below). He said pretty much every time you buy an Avocado that's not domestic, you're supporting a cartel.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YHwbC3xZTD5Ay6
I hope things have changed.

According to this article from December 2018, eighty percent of avocados consumed in the U.S. come from Mexico, the majority from the small mountain town of Tancitaro.

In late 2013, Tancitaro's residents said they had enough. And like many towns throughout Michoacan, they took up arms, forming self-defense groups to drive the gangs out. Tancitaro went a step further and built a solid police force. Many on the force themselves have worked for their family avocado businesses. Many were long extorted by gangs.

https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...s-off-the-farm

Old 02-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I hope things have changed.

According to this article from December 2018, eighty percent of avocados consumed in the U.S. come from Mexico, the majority from the small mountain town of Tancitaro.

In late 2013, Tancitaro's residents said they had enough. And like many towns throughout Michoacan, they took up arms, forming self-defense groups to drive the gangs out. Tancitaro went a step further and built a solid police force. Many on the force themselves have worked for their family avocado businesses. Many were long extorted by gangs.

https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...s-off-the-farm
That’s awesome to hear, I hope they have continued success. It is not an easy battle, those cartels have higher quality weapons in the military and police forces combined, and they have actually taken over many of the towns and run some of the towns in Mexico now. It’s truly terrible I’m glad they’re fighting back. I wonder why we spend all our money just building barriers and thinking of ways to keep them from coming over, rather than helping them to help themselves. No one wants to leave their home country, if they were safe and they could make a living they would stay. We arm and help everyone else why not them? Again, especially since we are by far the largest consumer of apparently every product the cartel trades in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness