U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2019, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
8,004 posts, read 2,541,823 times
Reputation: 11228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1402309


Despite the negative sounding outlook of the short introductory statement of this review of the medical literature, the real message of the article is that the medical dangers of cannabis are not evident until its use becomes quite excessive. It's much safer than alcohol or tobacco use.


Follow the directions on the site to get a free view of the article.


I'm not a user. I don't why anyone would want to alter their consciousness unless they're really unhappy with themselves. I don't get it, but then I'm an optimist. In fact, I remember coming down one Christmas morning and finding my stocking full of horse manure. I figured they bought me a pony!...I was disappointed, but not discouraged.

That's the root cause of all drug abuse-----the users are very unhappy with themselves and their lives. They feel inadequate and think they can benefit from mind-altering substances. All such drugs render the abusers incapable of recognizing that they're doing themselves any damage. No marijuana smoker will ever admit that there's anything harmful or wrong about it. They think that they've become more interesting as persons, but that effect works only on other users. They're all losers and can't function in their natural, undrugged state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2019, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
29,412 posts, read 18,639,853 times
Reputation: 42469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's the root cause of all drug abuse-----the users are very unhappy with themselves and their lives. They feel inadequate and think they can benefit from mind-altering substances. All such drugs render the abusers incapable of recognizing that they're doing themselves any damage. No marijuana smoker will ever admit that there's anything harmful or wrong about it. They think that they've become more interesting as persons, but that effect works only on other users. They're all losers and can't function in their natural, undrugged state.
Pfft.

Alcohol, tobacco, pot.... all the same. At least pot has some medicinal uses. DH used it for pain control after surgery and for insomnia, and it works. And your right, he will not admit harm or damage, because there is very little. Eating at McDonald's (which he doesn't) is probably more harmful.

I doubt he thinks he is more interesting, as that is not really his goal. And rest assured, he functions quite well as he only does it in the evenings. My "loser" husband is retired quite comfortably at 52. He functions quite well thank you, and he has many people asking him to start up businesses with him. Yes, OMG, they know he occasionally smokes pot. No one really cares, it is quite common.

I can tell you, that if my RA symptoms get much worse.... I will indulge also. I'm not fond of the high that comes with it, but I am also not fond of being in a lot pain.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 09:10 PM
 
18,604 posts, read 15,560,321 times
Reputation: 34993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pfft.

Alcohol, tobacco, pot.... all the same. At least pot has some medicinal uses. DH used it for pain control after surgery and for insomnia, and it works. And your right, he will not admit harm or damage, because there is very little. Eating at McDonald's (which he doesn't) is probably more harmful.

I doubt he thinks he is more interesting, as that is not really his goal. And rest assured, he functions quite well as he only does it in the evenings. My "loser" husband is retired quite comfortably at 52. He functions quite well thank you, and he has many people asking him to start up businesses with him. Yes, OMG, they know he occasionally smokes pot. No one really cares, it is quite common.

I can tell you, that if my RA symptoms get much worse.... I will indulge also. I'm not fond of the high that comes with it, but I am also not fond of being in a lot pain.
Exactly. If I said I have a glass of red wine in the evening no one would be spouting silliness like I must be unhappy with my life or Iím abusing a drug. But it is no different when I take a hit from an oil catridge pen in after work. Itís ridiculous and baseless Reefer Madness ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
8,004 posts, read 2,541,823 times
Reputation: 11228
Many have described medicinal uses for marijuana and as a pain-reliever. The implication seems to be that those applications of it somehow justify the vast majority of users who are only concerned about its mind-altering and recreational effects.

How much money is spent by our country because of drug abuse, for medical care, police, criminal courts and prisons? How much do people lose to thieves who steal to feed their drug habits? If all this, as well as alcohol abuse was eliminated, we'd probably spend less than half as much to keep our nation running. And we'd be a lot healthier and more productive. Mind-altering substances are like a huge parasite sucking the blood from our society. Add to that, all the health problems caused by junk food and it's a wonder we have survived. Our collective indulgences in harmful things, may cause our demise before global warming can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 PM
 
2,578 posts, read 947,780 times
Reputation: 4964
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,414 posts, read 1,997,370 times
Reputation: 15223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yep. And in most cases where it's "linked" to schizophrenia, it becomes a question of the chicken vs the egg - in other words, did the cannabis cause the illness (unlikely), or were they just self-medicating a pre-existing condition (more likely)? As of yet, there have been no credible studies or sources to prove the former.
Yes, many people diagnosed with all kinds of mental illness self-medicate with weed. It offers the most benefit with the least adverse effects or contraindications. Pharma has nothing to offer that would even come close.

From the OPís link:
Quote:
Teenagers who smoke marijuana regularly are about three times as likely to develop schizophrenia, the most devastating psychotic disorder.
Heís assuming that since Schizophrenia is usually diagnosed by around the age of 25; that the precursor to diagnosis is weed use by teenagers; which is incorrect. The changes of puberty sometimes mask the early Schizophrenia symptoms & as the condition worsens, those teenagers are just leaving their parents home, going to college or joining the military. By the time anyone who knows them well is aware that they need help, they are already entering their 20s.

Many if not most Schizophrenics will say that they started deteriorating during adolescence & had learned how to self-medicate long before the actual diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM
 
5,381 posts, read 2,432,995 times
Reputation: 13769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pfft.

Alcohol, tobacco, pot.... all the same. At least pot has some medicinal uses. DH used it for pain control after surgery and for insomnia, and it works. And your right, he will not admit harm or damage, because there is very little. Eating at McDonald's (which he doesn't) is probably more harmful.

I doubt he thinks he is more interesting, as that is not really his goal. And rest assured, he functions quite well as he only does it in the evenings. My "loser" husband is retired quite comfortably at 52. He functions quite well thank you, and he has many people asking him to start up businesses with him. Yes, OMG, they know he occasionally smokes pot. No one really cares, it is quite common.

I can tell you, that if my RA symptoms get much worse.... I will indulge also. I'm not fond of the high that comes with it, but I am also not fond of being in a lot pain.
I care.
and Yes I would refrain from mingling near someone with such an aroma coming from their pores.

His brain cells are less active....makes sense that he couldn't admit harm or damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
29,412 posts, read 18,639,853 times
Reputation: 42469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Many have described medicinal uses for marijuana and as a pain-reliever. The implication seems to be that those applications of it somehow justify the vast majority of users who are only concerned about its mind-altering and recreational effects.

How much money is spent by our country because of drug abuse, for medical care, police, criminal courts and prisons? How much do people lose to thieves who steal to feed their drug habits? If all this, as well as alcohol abuse was eliminated, we'd probably spend less than half as much to keep our nation running. And we'd be a lot healthier and more productive. Mind-altering substances are like a huge parasite sucking the blood from our society. Add to that, all the health problems caused by junk food and it's a wonder we have survived. Our collective indulgences in harmful things, may cause our demise before global warming can do it.

Pot is pretty non addictive, and pot smokers are not exactly motivated criminals. DH was law enforcement and said before he would rather have people smoking pot than drinking from a legal standpoint. Some people eat junk food, some don't, whether stoned or not. You cannot OD on pot so medical care isn't really an issue, plus there are many ways to ingest it without smoking it.

Got some great news for you: with the legalization of pot, billions are being saved in NOT busting people for pot.

DH is quite productive and healthy as a horse, generally in great physical shape.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
29,412 posts, read 18,639,853 times
Reputation: 42469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I care.
and Yes I would refrain from mingling near someone with such an aroma coming from their pores.

His brain cells are less active....makes sense that he couldn't admit harm or damage.

LOL. He doesn't smell like pot.


At the time I'm sure they are less active, that's kinda the point. If he would have taken an opioid for pain, his brain would have been less active, and same with a sleeping pill. So what's your point?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
 
1,415 posts, read 692,809 times
Reputation: 6043
This anti-marijuana hysteria is ridiculous. Recreational or medical pot smokers aren't raging drug addicts who rob people to feed their habit. It is not physically addictive like cocaine, heroin, etc. And it has proven medical and pain control benefits.

Yes, there are people who overdo it and spend their lives constantly stoned and unproductive. Just like there are people who spend their lives drunk or seriously over-eating every day, or indulging in other bad habits. That's on them and should not result in penalizing everyone else.

And no, I don't smoke pot, but I fully support legalization and I certainly would like it to be a legal option should I ever need it for medicinal purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top