Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:42 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Many have described medicinal uses for marijuana and as a pain-reliever. The implication seems to be that those applications of it somehow justify the vast majority of users who are only concerned about its mind-altering and recreational effects.

How much money is spent by our country because of drug abuse, for medical care, police, criminal courts and prisons? How much do people lose to thieves who steal to feed their drug habits? If all this, as well as alcohol abuse was eliminated, we'd probably spend less than half as much to keep our nation running. And we'd be a lot healthier and more productive. Mind-altering substances are like a huge parasite sucking the blood from our society. Add to that, all the health problems caused by junk food and it's a wonder we have survived. Our collective indulgences in harmful things, may cause our demise before global warming can do it.
No crimes are committed to feed a marijuana habit, no families are ruined by marijuana, no medical care is required due to marijuana. A whole lot of these things happen with prescription meds and alcohol however. When people have a drink,are they doing it for medicinal purposes or to alter their mental state? It’s the latter. Why do we need to “justify” that anymore than the person ordering a margarita?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 01:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pot is pretty non addictive, and pot smokers are not exactly motivated criminals. DH was law enforcement and said before he would rather have people smoking pot than drinking from a legal standpoint. Some people eat junk food, some don't, whether stoned or not. You cannot OD on pot so medical care isn't really an issue, plus there are many ways to ingest it without smoking it.

Got some great news for you: with the legalization of pot, billions are being saved in NOT busting people for pot.

DH is quite productive and healthy as a horse, generally in great physical shape.
You are aware that MJ is INDEED addictive. Ohh wait! I just remembered from my non Marijuanna used brain that Rehabs no longer need to take MJ users because by golly they aren't suffering from withdrawel or abuse of this THC substance. Ohh thats right your hubby ( a law officer) decides what is more harmful...an alcohol impaired or an MJ user driving. Thank goodness we have a court system and senators to decide the laws...Not a man of badge who is sworn to public civil servant status. He is to enforce and protect. NOT decide based on his miniscule scientific background .

I get that Those who are stoners don't want to give up that crutch....they'd fight to the end to keep that HIGH going. Its part of the addiction. History repeats itself til a lesson is learned. When alcohol became legal..what happened was- abuse - addiction. Gee ya think MJ wont go the same way.....? It will and it already is proving it by having SO MANY ABUSERS ...or Users...buying it . The saying this Country is going to pot holds true. Sad. Just pathetically sad.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:57 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You are aware that MJ is INDEED addictive. Ohh wait! I just remembered from my non Marijuanna used brain that Rehabs no longer need to take MJ users because by golly they aren't suffering from withdrawel or abuse of this THC substance. Ohh thats right your hubby ( a law officer) decides what is more harmful...an alcohol impaired or an MJ user driving. Thank goodness we have a court system and senators to decide the laws...Not a man of badge who is sworn to public civil servant status. He is to enforce and protect. NOT decide based on his miniscule scientific background .

I get that Those who are stoners don't want to give up that crutch....they'd fight to the end to keep that HIGH going. Its part of the addiction. History repeats itself til a lesson is learned. When alcohol became legal..what happened was- abuse - addiction. Gee ya think MJ wont go the same way.....? It will and it already is proving it by having SO MANY ABUSERS ...or Users...buying it . The saying this Country is going to pot holds true. Sad. Just pathetically sad.
Can you explain exactly why you think having a toke is any different than having a drink?

Old 02-09-2019, 02:07 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Our government has spent many millions of dollars, over 50 years, to do studies looking specifically for the harms of marijuana. It has had far more study than any other drugs, but our government never looked at it for it's positive benefits, the racist agenda only allowed the studies to look for its harm.

To date, they have never proven addiction, nor cancer, nor death.

The only proven medical downside has been man boobs.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You are aware that MJ is INDEED addictive.
I am not 'aware' of that.

All I have read on the subject has been the exact opposite.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Consider the source. The writer's medical qualification is that his wife is a psychiatrist. He is also a writer who gave a speech at a college that is a bastion of conservative politics. So much for expertise.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
I'm a 70 year old retired woman, nobody's idea of a stoner, and I'm no loser either. But I'm here to tell you that medical cannabis has helped me with anxiety and insomnia, and it has helped others I know with issues such as arthritis pain, back pain and PTSD. Just because something can potentially be abused doesn't make it evil. I am actually in better mental and physical health now than I was before I got my medical card.

Cannabis needs to be made Federally legal not so that everybody in America can get high - some people shouldn't use it - but so that Federal money can be freed up to do serious medical research on its potential benefits and and risks. There's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there because we just don't have the data, and we can't get it until cannabis is removed from the list of Schedule I drugs.

Cannabis is a very useful plant, and its potential medical applications deserve to be investigated thoroughly and impartially. Most of our pharmaceutical drugs are derived from plants, aren't they, so why should one particular plant be demonized? The only reason I can come up with is that Americans are still being influenced by our Puritan ancestors, who believed that pleasure was sinful and that suffering was somehow godly. Maybe the naysayers find it difficult to wrap their heads around the concept that medicine can also be fun.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:04 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Alcohol is much more destructive to families and people. My step father would drink and get so mean and stupid. I get impatient with drunks now.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Marijuana was made illegal due to the efforts of one man, Harry J. Anslinger, Commissioner of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Narcotics.

When he was making speeches about the evils of marijuana he said a lot of weird stuff.

* Warning, his quotes are racist *

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

"the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

- Harry J. Anslinger, Commissioner of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Narcotics
And to think, its 2019 and we have police all over the country aggressively enforcing these same laws? WOW, that is just unbelievable to me!

Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
And to think, its 2019 and we have police all over the country aggressively enforcing these same laws? WOW, that is just unbelievable to me!
There are people who want to remain blind to racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness