Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:38 PM

18,997 posts, read 27,536,451 times

Advertisements

I have both done couple years ago.
I have mono IOLs. They are different strength due to whatever she told me then.
I specifically asked for "driving" IOLs as I drive a lot and that was my main concern. Surprisingly, final result is that I somehow see well far and can, same time, even read larger font on my phone from slightly extended arm length.
I basically use Walmart reading glasses, bought a bunch of them and have them placed everywhere I normally am. Another surprise, they actually work better than $380 trifocals from optometrist.

Surgery was major improvement, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:40 PM

18,997 posts, read 27,536,451 times
Just read #11. No headaches, no depth perception loss. If not for damn floaters, I'd be more than happy.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,406,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
...I'd warn against monovision - you lose your depth perception and will get constant headaches. Hint: your driver license renewal secretly tests EACH eye, with some material in front of the left eye, and the rest in front of your right. You will likely be wearing some sort of vision correction in BOTH distance and near to alleviate the eye strain...

As I've already posted, I have monovision and I dont have headaches. Yes, I did have them for the first six months but not after that. And my depth perception is fine enough for every day use.

Too, I did have to pass an eye test when I renewed my driver's license. But I told the examiner that I had monovision and showed him the surgery receipt. He passed me without noting a need for eyeglasses.

Monovision was the best thing that ever happened to me. I love not having to use reading glasses, or glasses of any kind, at the age of 72.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,427,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
As I've already posted, I have monovision and I dont have headaches. Yes, I did have them for the first six months but not after that. And my depth perception is fine enough for every day use.

Too, I did have to pass an eye test when I renewed my driver's license. But I told the examiner that I had monovision and showed him the surgery receipt. He passed me without noting a need for eyeglasses.

Monovision was the best thing that ever happened to me. I love not having to use reading glasses, or glasses of any kind, at the age of 72.
This is valuable information, thanks for the disclosure about the first 6 months.

I hope OP is one step closer to making a well-informed decision.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,406,940 times
Quote:
This is valuable information, thanks for the disclosure about the first 6 months...

I know others, in real life, who've elected for monovision and didnt have headaches ever. I figure the reason I had them was because my eyesight had been so bad -- I was wearing bifocals when I was 5 years old. And the headaches werent even that bad.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:51 AM

46 posts, read 29,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I have monovision and would recommend it to anyone. It took my eyes about six months to adjust and I'll be honest -- the adjustment was difficult at first. But then my eyes adapted to the monovision and I learned to love it. And now, at the age of 72, I still dont need reading glasses or glasses of any kind.
I did the same and am very happy with both my near and far vision. Not everyone's brain can make the adjustment, though, so I would suggest that you try mono vision contact lenses first - one for distance and one for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just read #11. No headaches, no depth perception loss. If not for damn floaters, I'd be more than happy.
No headaches or depth perception loss here either. Yes, unfortunately I am experiencing a lot of floaters since having posterior vitreous detachment in both eyes. I would be much happier if the darn things would settle down!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 AM

19,425 posts, read 27,788,898 times
I'm in the same position as OP. I started wearing reading glasses at 36, and now, at 62, need a +4. My distance vision is pretty good, but the near vision is nearly disabling. So I wear progressives now, and already talked to my doctor about what my options will be when I finally swallow my fear and get cataract surgery later this year.

I wanted lenses just for close up reading. One ophthalmologist said don't do it, the surgeon said he flat out wouldn't do it. The idea of mono-vision lenses was discussed. Then I remembered that I had tried monovision contact lenses. After a little more than a year, I threw them away. With monovision, you have to accept compromises: Your distance vision isn't as good as it could be, and your reading vision isn't as good as it could be. I did NOT like those compromises, and my brain never totally 'accepted' the contact lenses.

So, if you insist on trying this, my strong recommendation is to try it with contacts first. You DO NOT want to be stuck with that forever if you can't adjust.

Just my 2 cents. And I'm unhappy with the single, reasonable option available: distance vision correction and readers.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:02 PM

28,075 posts, read 29,914,522 times
Quote:
First of all, take a breath. Your options aren't limited to the false trichotomy (or dichotomy) that your ophthalmologist is painting.

I'd warn against monovision - you lose your depth perception and will get constant headaches. Hint: your driver license renewal secretly tests EACH eye, with some material in front of the left eye, and the rest in front of your right. You will likely be wearing some sort of vision correction in BOTH distance and near to alleviate the eye strain.

If the $7,300 is not an option for you, go distance, and get bifocal contact lenses. No prescription in the middle, and a + power around the edges. Insert them in the morning, remove before bed.

Long time contact lens wearer, 15+ years and counting.
Hmmm. This is a suggestion I may want to consider. I just got an appointment for a second opinion with a different ophthalmologist, so we'll see what he has to say. I'm prefer to get the surgery rather than contacts, but thanks for suggesting it. I'm open to different options.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,427,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hmmm. This is a suggestion I may want to consider. I just got an appointment for a second opinion with a different ophthalmologist, so we'll see what he has to say. I'm prefer to get the surgery rather than contacts, but thanks for suggesting it. I'm open to different options.
Looking forward to updates. We're here for you. Anecdotal examples and all

Old 02-11-2019, 08:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,783,436 times
I used to wear monovision contacts and it was wonderful! However my opthalmologist said most people couldn't tolerate them. I chose to correct distance with cataract surgery and wear readers. I am happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness