U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 PM

21,698 posts, read 21,577,664 times

Advertisements

I'll be going in to a second ophthalmologist on Wednesday and am really looking forward to getting a second opinion. I'll let you all know what he says. And I greatly appreciate all of the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm in the same position as OP.

Just my 2 cents. And I'm unhappy with the single, reasonable option available: distance vision correction and readers.
Sound like your situation most closely resembles mine. I started wearing readers at about 40 and am now 70. Distance vision is still reasonably good so it's off and on with my readers CONSTANTLY. It's getting really, really old.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 PM

10,665 posts, read 7,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So anyway, I'm looking for some personal experiences from those who have had this surgery and chose to go with two monovision lenses, one to correct the distance vision and the other to correct the close-up vision. How'd it work out for you?
I did this a year ago this month. But I'd worn monovision contact lens for many years so the decision was a no-brainer for me & I needed no adjustment time at all to get used to my new IOLs.
I'm very very happy with the results.

If I had not already been adjusted to monovision, I probably would have chosen 2 distance lenses.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 PM

10,665 posts, read 7,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Hint: your driver license renewal secretly tests EACH eye, with some material in front of the left eye, and the rest in front of your right. You will likely be wearing some sort of vision correction in BOTH distance and near to alleviate the eye strain.
This varies from state to state. In Texas, when I told them I wore monovision lenses, they always let me test using both eyes at once and I always passed.
When we moved to Arkansas in 2016, they just asked if I wear corrective lenses and when I said yes, they didn't even test me, just noted the restriction on my license. DH answered no and had to take the eye exam.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Well, I got a second opinion today and I have scheduled my surgery. I'll be getting "Symphony" multifocus lenses plus surgery for a mild astigmatism for a total of $4000, which is nearly $3300 less than what the first ophthalmologist quoted me. He made a point of telling me that I was not going to see like I did when I was 20 (I'm now 70), but that people who go into the surgery with realistic expectations generally end up being really happy with the results. I'm having the first eye done on March 5.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 PM

2,525 posts, read 617,285 times
Quote:
Well, I got a second opinion today and I have scheduled my surgery. I'll be getting "Symphony" multifocus lenses plus surgery for a mild astigmatism for a total of $4000, which is nearly $3300 less than what the first ophthalmologist quoted me. He made a point of telling me that I was not going to see like I did when I was 20 (I'm now 70), but that people who go into the surgery with realistic expectations generally end up being really happy with the results. I'm having the first eye done on March 5.
Congratulations!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 PM

10,944 posts, read 9,904,169 times
Happy to learn you got a second opinion and a better quote on the price. That first one sounded way too high to me. Congrats and hoping it all goes well.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:38 PM

649 posts, read 325,065 times
Quote:
Good luck, Kat! Please come back after your surgery and tell us about your experience? I'll be doing the same as you're choosing to do (at about the same cost) and would like to hear your thoughts, particularly about the astigmatism surgery.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:43 PM

8,727 posts, read 5,896,785 times
Quote:
Well, my optometrist told me my vision is finally bad enough (due to cataracts) that I am eligible for surgery that would be paid for by Medicare. I asked him if this would correct by close-up vision (which is pretty horrible) and my distance vision (which really isn't all that bad; I don't even need corrective lenses to drive).
Anyway, I went to the ophthalmologist he recommended and found out that Medicare will only monovision lenses. If you go with multifocus lenses, it doesn't. I have good supplemental insurance, but it looks like it will still be costing me nearly $7,300 to to get the multifocus lenses. I told him that if I had to pick between correcting my close-up vision or my distance vision, which would make monovision lenses an option, I'd choose to correct by close-up vision. He said that the results for correcting just close-up vision weren't very good at all. He was actually quite opposed to it. He also mentioned correcting the close-up vision in one eye and the distance vision in the other eye, but said he wouldn't personally want that either, if he were the patient. He didn't seem to be trying to pressure me to get the multifocus lenses, but it almost seems like the only real option for me.

So anyway, I'm looking for some personal experiences from those who have had this surgery and chose to go with two monovision lenses, one to correct the distance vision and the other to correct the close-up vision. How'd it work out for you? It would be nice to get reasonably decent results without having to pay $7,300, but there's no way I'm paying that amount to correct only my distance vision. Putting on and taking off readers 50 times a day is getting really old.
I went with monovision because I had to (my eyes don't dilate because of a prostate med I took, for a month or so, a few years ago. FYI, Flomax, even 1 capsule, can cause this issue for life. Not a major issue except it requires special care during cataract surgery----But, it still beats the hell out of prostate surgery if it works.)

My surgery was in Dec. Had both eyes done 2 weeks apart. I will need readers or new gasses, won't know for a few weeks when I have a followup with opthamologist

I've worn glasses for 60 years, it's not worth the 7K for isn't worth it

Go with distance. It's easier to correct and has less issues than close up. Two monovision, one close onf distance will drive you nuts because your eyes will continue to change and you will need new glasses quite often

Old 02-14-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Go with distance. It's easier to correct and has less issues than close up. Two monovision, one close onf distance will drive you nuts because your eyes will continue to change and you will need new glasses quite often
Well, I've already made the decision, and it's only going to cost me $4,000. I'm getting multi-focus lenses because, as I said in my OP, my distance vision is not that bad. I wouldn't pay a thing to get it corrected if that's all that could be corrected. It's my close up vision that's really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness