U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM

21,698 posts, read 21,586,821 times

Advertisements

Well, for those who may be interested...

I had my first cataract surgery Tuesday (the day before yesterday). He did my right eye, which was the worst of the two. I am typing this without my glasses (which, prior to the surgery, would have been impossible). I'm still using my glasses most of the time for close-up work and that will probably be the case until after I've had the second eye done. Honestly, right now the thing I'm noticing most is that when I am covering my right eye and only looking out of my left one, the light in the room is a kind of a yellowish color. When I cover my left eye and look out of my right one (the one that's had the surgery), the room is much, much lighter and brighter. It's a whiter light rather than a yellowish light and I'm loving it! When I look at a sheet of paper with one eye versus the other, I can tell a difference in the whiteness and brightness, too. Heck, my teeth aren't even as yellow as I was thinking they were!

I got the multi-focus lenses and the total cost is going to be just under $4,000. He also fixed my astigmatism as part of the surgery. Yea!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:51 PM

43,335 posts, read 34,752,295 times
Yay, Katzpur!

I had the multifocus done on my left eye (my dominant eye) Tuesday. I have a huge deductible ($6800) PLUS each lens was $2400. So total cost was considerably more than yours but oh well.

I am getting the right eye done in about ten days.

I got narrow angle issues corrected at the same time as well. My eye pressure was potentially very problematic.

I was wearing trifocals before this. I didn't have astigmatism - I had the opposite problem. My eyes are shaped more like donuts than footballs if that makes sense.

So today is the fourth day. I have a lot of similar experiences and senses that you've been having. However, today was a rough day. We were out and about a lot today and being in stores made me feel very dizzy and sort of disoriented. My eyes are tired. My "unfixed" eye is so bad, but I can't wear glasses because they mess up my other eye. I can see crystal clear close up and colors are amazing and pristine, But my far eyesight is absolute crap. It's considerably worse than it was the day after the surgery. But I expect fluctuations. Follow up is next Thursday and the other eye is getting done the following Tuesday. I want this to be behind me!

Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yay, Katzpur!

I had the multifocus done on my left eye (my dominant eye) Tuesday. I have a huge deductible ($6800) PLUS each lens was $2400. So total cost was considerably more than yours but oh well.

I got narrow angle issues corrected at the same time as well. My eye pressure was potentially very problematic.

I was wearing trifocals before this. I didn't have astigmatism - I had the opposite problem. My eyes are shaped more like donuts than footballs if that makes sense.

So today is the fourth day. I have a lot of similar experiences and senses that you've been having. However, today was a rough day. We were out and about a lot today and being in stores made me feel very dizzy and sort of disoriented. My eyes are tired. My "unfixed" eye is so bad, but I can't wear glasses because they mess up my other eye. I can see crystal clear close up and colors are amazing and pristine, But my far eyesight is absolute crap. It's considerably worse than it was the day after the surgery. But I expect fluctuations. Follow up is next Thursday and the other eye is getting done the following Tuesday. I want this to be behind me!
Wow! Both our first surgeries were done on the same day and both our second surgeries will be done on the same day. I, too, am finding glasses to be bothersome. You need them for one eye but not the other. I'll also be glad when both are done and healed! Good luck!

Old 03-09-2019, 06:26 PM

9,545 posts, read 6,744,624 times
Quote:
Yay, Katzpur!

Congratulations on getting through the first half of your cataract surgery. I'm sure you will find the improved vision worth that big chunk of change you have to put out for the surgery!

You mentioned not being able to wear your glasses during the "between eye one and eye two" stage, as the lens for your corrected eye messes up that eye. I just wanted to suggest that perhaps for that 10 day in between period while you're waiting for surgery on your second eye, you could remove, or have someone else remove that lens for the corrected eye from your glasses. That way you could still use the glasses for your uncorrected eye, and you wouldn't be driving your corrected eye bonkers trying to see through a lens that no longer works for that eye.

The folks in the opthalmology clinic where I had my cataract surgery a little over 5 yrs ago offered to remove the lens from my glasses when I had the surgery on the first eye. I found it very helpful as I could use the glasses during the six week period between the surgeries on eye 1 and 2- six weeks was my choice, I could have had it sooner.

Just a thought. In any case, the vision in your eyes post cataract surgery will, with any luck, get better and better as time goes on.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Congratulations on getting through the first half of your cataract surgery. I'm sure you will find the improved vision worth that big chunk of change you have to put out for the surgery!

You mentioned not being able to wear your glasses during the "between eye one and eye two" stage, as the lens for your corrected eye messes up that eye. I just wanted to suggest that perhaps for that 10 day in between period while you're waiting for surgery on your second eye, you could remove, or have someone else remove that lens for the corrected eye from your glasses. That way you could still use the glasses for your uncorrected eye, and you wouldn't be driving your corrected eye bonkers trying to see through a lens that no longer works for that eye.

The folks in the opthalmology clinic where I had my cataract surgery a little over 5 yrs ago offered to remove the lens from my glasses when I had the surgery on the first eye. I found it very helpful as I could use the glasses during the six week period between the surgeries on eye 1 and 2- six weeks was my choice, I could have had it sooner.

Just a thought. In any case, the vision in your eyes post cataract surgery will, with any luck, get better and better as time goes on.
Thank you! And congrats on your success - I am hoping for the same, and I feel confident that things will work out.

I had the clinic remove a lens from my glasses but honestly, it's just so distracting and disorienting that I just gave up. When my "good" corrected eye gets too tired I just close it and look out of my glasses for the other eye.

MAJOR PAIN - but it's a First World Problem for sure.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 PM

1,121 posts, read 608,624 times
I had my right eye (the worst one) done Monday 3/11. I was too chicken to have all the other stuff done to fix the astigmatism...partially because my one eye has very poor vision. It just seemed scary to me. The surgery was very painful and I was just in twilight sleep but aware of the ice pick in my eye sensation... so next Monday they are going to knock me completely out to do the next one.

Everything is bright, even with just the one done. I did get a tear in my capsule during the operation and my surgeon was able to proceed successfully anyway and get the new lens positioned correctly. Now I'm glad I didn't have further surgery. Apparently, I will get a "line" or jagged lights from the tear which they will fix with the YAG laser, just the way they do if one gets that cloudiness.

I've worn progressive lenses for 20+ years so no doubt I'll be back in them when this is all over. I don't mind wearing glasses. But a wee little part of me is sorry I didn't go for the whole shebang to fix it all.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 AM

Update day 13 after first eye is done and second eye scheduled for tomorrow:

Well, the day after the first surgery, my vision was 20/25 in the "fixed" eye. Now it's 20/60. I can see pretty clearly up close, no need for glasses except for very fine print, but get about 4 feet out and everything is blurry.

My doctor was concerned and apologetic. He said due to my eye shape which is unusual - more like a doughnut than a football or lemon - sometimes instead of near vision needing correction, it's far vision, which always requires a prescription, unlike needing readers for close up stuff. MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. He said he doesn't recommend LASIK till after three months but that I almost certainly will need both LASIK and YAG (outpatient zap) for the "fixed" eye. Bummer.

Anyway, we decided though to go ahead with the other eye, which is my weaker eye. My gosh, it's jacked up anyway so short of blindness, it would be hard for the vision to be worse. Plus he can try to tweak it to see distance better so maybe the two will balance each other out. Worst case scenario, I can get prescription glasses to wear for three months till the LASIK can be done. I can live with that. It's a disappointment but I always knew it was a possibility.

Otherwise, the healing and all that has been super easy and I feel great. And like I told him, let's say that we have 4 vision fields - near and distance in each eye. I was at a 0 out of 4 - I couldn't see near OR distance without glasses before the surgery. Now I am at 1 out of 4, and maybe I will be 2 or even 3 out of four after the second eye is done.

Also, another positive - WOW, colors are so much clearer!

Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Update day 13 after first eye is done and second eye scheduled for tomorrow:

Well, the day after the first surgery, my vision was 20/25 in the "fixed" eye. Now it's 20/60. I can see pretty clearly up close, no need for glasses except for very fine print, but get about 4 feet out and everything is blurry.

My doctor was concerned and apologetic. He said due to my eye shape which is unusual - more like a doughnut than a football or lemon - sometimes instead of near vision needing correction, it's far vision, which always requires a prescription, unlike needing readers for close up stuff. MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. He said he doesn't recommend LASIK till after three months but that I almost certainly will need both LASIK and YAG (outpatient zap) for the "fixed" eye. Bummer.

Anyway, we decided though to go ahead with the other eye, which is my weaker eye. My gosh, it's jacked up anyway so short of blindness, it would be hard for the vision to be worse. Plus he can try to tweak it to see distance better so maybe the two will balance each other out. Worst case scenario, I can get prescription glasses to wear for three months till the LASIK can be done. I can live with that. It's a disappointment but I always knew it was a possibility.

Otherwise, the healing and all that has been super easy and I feel great. And like I told him, let's say that we have 4 vision fields - near and distance in each eye. I was at a 0 out of 4 - I couldn't see near OR distance without glasses before the surgery. Now I am at 1 out of 4, and maybe I will be 2 or even 3 out of four after the second eye is done.

Also, another positive - WOW, colors are so much clearer!
I'm having my second surgery tomorrow, too! They're going to call me today to give me an exact time. Last time, I had to be at the surgical center at 6:30 AM. I hope they don't make me get up quite that early tomorrow.

I've had two check-ups since the first surgery -- one the day after and another the week after. My fixed eye was 20/25 both times. It was the worst of the two eyes to start out with. I am wearing readers now as I type this. I can actually see close-up fairly well without them, but it's weird -- I am so used to wearing readers that I pick up a pair whenever I'm going to read, without even thinking about it. I've got to at least start trying getting used to reading without them. I suspect that will be a lot easier once the other eye has been fixed, too. Tiny print is still impossible to read, and I suspect it always will be. That's kind of a bummer, but I can definitely live with it. I just don't want to have to put on readers every time I check my e-mail, read a menu, or open the mail.

I'm not noticing a great deal of difference in my distance vision, but there is some, and my doctor told me that things continue to gradually improve over a period of several months, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. He is fixing my astigmatisms at the same time as he implants the new lenses.

Like you, I've found the difference in color and brightness to be the most incredible part of the surgery. When I close my fixed eye, everything has got a kind of a dirty yellow cast (like if you were looking through very pale yellow sunglasses). When I close my bad eye instead, everything is so light and bright. A sheet of paper that had a barely yellowish tinge to it with my bad eye is bright white with my fixed eye. I'm loving that part.

Anyway, good luck with your surgery tomorrow!

Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm having my second surgery tomorrow, too! They're going to call me today to give me an exact time. Last time, I had to be at the surgical center at 6:30 AM. I hope they don't make me get up quite that early tomorrow.

I've had two check-ups since the first surgery -- one the day after and another the week after. My fixed eye was 20/25 both times. It was the worst of the two eyes to start out with. I am wearing readers now as I type this. I can actually see close-up fairly well without them, but it's weird -- I am so used to wearing readers that I pick up a pair whenever I'm going to read, without even thinking about it. I've got to at least start trying getting used to reading without them. I suspect that will be a lot easier once the other eye has been fixed, too. Tiny print is still impossible to read, and I suspect it always will be. That's kind of a bummer, but I can definitely live with it. I just don't want to have to put on readers every time I check my e-mail, read a menu, or open the mail.

I'm not noticing a great deal of difference in my distance vision, but there is some, and my doctor told me that things continue to gradually improve over a period of several months, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. He is fixing my astigmatisms at the same time as he implants the new lenses.

Like you, I've found the difference in color and brightness to be the most incredible part of the surgery. When I close my fixed eye, everything has got a kind of a dirty yellow cast (like if you were looking through very pale yellow sunglasses). When I close my bad eye instead, everything is so light and bright. A sheet of paper that had a barely yellowish tinge to it with my bad eye is bright white with my fixed eye. I'm loving that part.

Anyway, good luck with your surgery tomorrow!
Same to you! I have to be there at 8 am, so hopefully you can get a better time slot too.

I am pretty bummed about my distance vision still being so bad, but heck it was never good. I was wearing trifocals previously and was warned that the first two weeks would be the hardest because of the disparity between the two eyes. It's been pretty tough. I actually feel sort of like I have motion sickness, though of course I haven't lost a pound in spite of that!

I think I would prefer having to wear readers vs having to correct my distance vision. I was very, very specific beforehand - I don't ask for much, but I would like to be able to watch TV in the evenings without having to wear glasses. Sadly, I'm not sure this will ever be a reality for me. That's probably been the biggest disappointment so far - the continuing need for distance correction. They told me beforehand that my distance vision would probably very clear and that I'd only need to wear readers. It's the opposite for me.

The haziness is DEFINITELY increasing as well in my fixed eye but I am not going to freak out right now. I am going to give it 3 months like the doctor said, and then hopefully they can do YAG for the haziness and tweak my vision otherwise with LASIK. I really am just not looking forward to having more eye surgery of any sort after this. But at least with what I paid, the LASIK and YAG will be at no additional cost.

Sigh.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow and let's keep each other posted!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:22 PM

I'm scheduled for 6:30 AM again. Ugh. I guess my doctor's a morning person. Last time, he kept having to say, "Keep your eye on the light," because I kept falling asleep during the surgery. He told me that's pretty normal. Anyway, I'll be home by 9:00 AM, which is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness