Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
So I had the lenses swapped out in one eye. I've had a pain block done for that and it's not worn off but I can tell already it's going to be better.

Also had the yag laser in the other eye. Everything is brighter. It only took a couple weeks for that eye to get cloudy after the original operation.

And I wanted to tell Kathryn, about the laser, especially if she hasn't had that done yet.... mine was not nearly as painful as the first set of laser I had in the other eye for the pressure problem. I had no idea it would be so different. This one was less time and it really was just a bunch of clicks with almost no feeling in the eye of anything going on. I hope I didn't scare you a bit telling you about my 1st laser. This was is nothing to fear at all!
Thank you - since I already know I'm in for some YAG this makes me feel better. People have been saying there is literally nothing to it!

I'm so glad your situation is working out well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 02:31 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
So I had the lenses swapped out in one eye. I've had a pain block done for that and it's not worn off but I can tell already it's going to be better.

Also had the yag laser in the other eye. Everything is brighter. It only took a couple weeks for that eye to get cloudy after the original operation.

And I wanted to tell Kathryn, about the laser, especially if she hasn't had that done yet.... mine was not nearly as painful as the first set of laser I had in the other eye for the pressure problem. I had no idea it would be so different. This one was less time and it really was just a bunch of clicks with almost no feeling in the eye of anything going on. I hope I didn't scare you a bit telling you about my 1st laser. This was is nothing to fear at all!
So glad it went well, your surgeon figured out the problem, admitted it and fixed it, hopefully for good.

Here's hoping your vision issues are on the mend and will get better and better with time.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:39 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - since I already know I'm in for some YAG this makes me feel better. People have been saying there is literally nothing to it!

I'm so glad your situation is working out well!
I'm glad too, and I promise you, the YAG laser thing really is a nothing burger. It's quick, doesn't hurt at all, and generally is a one time thing (per eye). The only thing I recall that might need some reassurance is that they use some powerful dilating eyedrops (can't have the irises slamming shut when they're aiming lasers at the lenses), and my eye was still dilated for about 24 hours after the YAG.

The worst thing I can remember about the YAG was having to listen to the opthalmologists silly jokes while he was doing it, LOL. Just kidding, I do like him and he did a good job.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:09 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,725 times
One thing I found out: if a person doesn't go for the fancy lenses, only the basic ones Medicare pays for (my choice) they do put a lens in that corrects either distance or close up vision. The lens I got has corrected my vision so well I can read the closed caption across the room without glasses and I can read the computer without them too. I couldn't do that before without glasses.

All day today I was having some sort of problem focusing with the left eye. If I blinked, it would clear and focus for a bit then I'd have to blink again. This evening I found some sort of goop in the corner of that eye, and I think it was the same color yellow as my eye drops. So I think there was some of that in there causing problems. It's always something...

Old 04-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So anyway, I'm looking for some personal experiences from those who have had this surgery and chose to go with two monovision lenses, one to correct the distance vision and the other to correct the close-up vision. How'd it work out for you? It would be nice to get reasonably decent results without having to pay $7,300, but there's no way I'm paying that amount to correct only my distance vision. Putting on and taking off readers 50 times a day is getting really old.

So back to the original question: I didn't have any of those special lenses done so don't know. Except my friend had that and ended up not being able to see well and she got another set of lenses piggy-backed into the capsule so that she could see. I know she paid an awful lot of money for her setup and now after all that still has to use cheater glasses to read.

Something I learned recently: the cheapest way to go, the regular lenses Medicare pays for have some correction tailored to a person's eyes. Usually they correct far distance but sometimes people can correct just the close vision. They corrected my long distance and that turned out well and I will only need cheaters now. I know I'm going to hate the on-and-off thing you don't like too but I'll just have to get used to it. Sorry, I see I already posted about this.

I wonder if anybody who had any of this surgery done ended up with dark puffy circles under their eyes? I didn't have much or any of that before I started and now I look pretty puffy and dark. It's been over 3 weeks since the first eye, so I'm beginning to think this might be permanent.
So, have you decided what you're going to do yet? It's a big decision to make I think.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
So back to the original question: I didn't have any of those special lenses done so don't know. Except my friend had that and ended up not being able to see well and she got another set of lenses piggy-backed into the capsule so that she could see. I know she paid an awful lot of money for her setup and now after all that still has to use cheater glasses to read.

Something I learned recently: the cheapest way to go, the regular lenses Medicare pays for have some correction tailored to a person's eyes. Usually they correct far distance but sometimes people can correct just the close vision. They corrected my long distance and that turned out well and I will only need cheaters now. I know I'm going to hate the on-and-off thing you don't like too but I'll just have to get used to it. Sorry, I see I already posted about this.

I wonder if anybody who had any of this surgery done ended up with dark puffy circles under their eyes? I didn't have much or any of that before I started and now I look pretty puffy and dark. It's been over 3 weeks since the first eye, so I'm beginning to think this might be permanent.
So, have you decided what you're going to do yet? It's a big decision to make I think.
I had the surgery on both eyes and had the "expensive lenses" put in. Since I was wearing trifocals, which were heavy, and I have a pug nose with no natural bridge, so no matter WHAT type of frame I got, my glasses were constantly sliding down my nose so my small frame of vision for each field was constantly shifting, believe me I am THRILLED to say that I am 100 percent GLASSES FREE three weeks out from the second surgery. Well, actually I was at 20/30 the day after surgery and have remained there, so I am thrilled beyond words. And I do have some haziness in one eye due to whatever that is that develops sometimes so you have to have YAG - I will have to have that but the doctor said that my vision will be even better after that! I actually have 20/15 vision in one eye but 20/30 with both (the first eye was a bit more problematic than the second one, which was a piece of cake).

I'm typing (regular font size) on my computer right now with no glasses. The only issue I have is with mid range stuff - like if I'm typing in the search field on Netflix or something, the letters are a little fuzzy. But after having such poor vision across the board for years, this is nothing to deal with!

I had the money. It wasn't cheap but I only have one set of eyes and these lenses should last a lifetime. I'm really glad to be totally rid of glasses, hopefully forever!

I think I already said this but I have the Symfony Multifocal lenses. I didn't have astigmatism but i did also have narrow angle issues, so they fixed that too.

On the dark circles - YES I do notice that I still have some dark circles and occasional puffiness under my eyes sometimes. But it seems to come and go, and it seems to be lessening. I hope it continues to lessen. Our eyes have been through a strain so I chalk it up to that.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:15 PM

My yag certainly made things way brighter.

I got the readers today the doctor recommended. They sorta work for close up but not for mid-range and that's a real pain. If I don't find a solution for this I just might go back to progressives. That fixes the close and mid-range. If they don't need much changing for long distance, that's ok. But this on and off glasses is the pits.

My eyes are super sensitive now to the sunlight. Maybe it's just been dull for so long it'll take a bit of getting used to. So it's the readers, the sunglasses and nothing...but think about shopping where I can't read labels...

Kathryn, it sounds like your result is much better than mine. With all the other problems I had in my eyes, I don't know if he could have fixed mine to not need glasses anyway.

Today was the first day I was brave enough to drive. The driving was ok, but the fussing with the glasses and trying to catch up on a month of stuff wasn't fun. I hope this improves, or I figure out a better solution.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Well, there was no guarantee even with the very expensive Symfony multifocal lenses that I would be able to go without glasses, so I am really happy that was the outcome. I've had very problematic eyes much of my life so nearly a month out from the last surgery, I am really amazed in a good way at the differences.

I used to have narrow angle issues - no longer. I used to have to wear trifocals, now I wear no glasses at all. I used to put my glasses on FIRST THING each day and take them off LAST THING each night, because once they were off, I couldn't see anything near, midrange, or far away. I used to have one very weak and one very strong eye - now they seem balanced, though I do have more tiredness and some haziness in my left eye, which ironically was my stronger, dominant eye prior to the surgery - but apparently that's going to be dealt with via YAG in a few weeks so I'm OK with that.

I can't believe that I will probably never have to wear glasses again. One thing that has been an adjustment though is having to wear sunglasses outside, basically all the time. Oh well, I needed to be doing that before - I just wasn't. Now my eyes are more sensitive to light so I do have to wear them but that's no big deal.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Kathryn, happy for you.

I figure if I go back to glasses, when I'm not needing anything for close up I can just take them off. Correction for long distance would be minimal anyway. Stuff I was doing yesterday was problematic. Church with the screen up in the front and my program in my lap, annoying with readers on and off. The glare from the sunlight is still bad.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 AM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Yea! I just got back from my final post-op exam and now have 20-20 vision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness