Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Well, my optometrist told me my vision is finally bad enough (due to cataracts) that I am eligible for surgery that would be paid for by Medicare. I asked him if this would correct by close-up vision (which is pretty horrible) and my distance vision (which really isn't all that bad; I don't even need corrective lenses to drive).
Anyway, I went to the ophthalmologist he recommended and found out that Medicare will only monovision lenses. If you go with multifocus lenses, it doesn't. I have good supplemental insurance, but it looks like it will still be costing me nearly $7,300 to to get the multifocus lenses. I told him that if I had to pick between correcting my close-up vision or my distance vision, which would make monovision lenses an option, I'd choose to correct by close-up vision. He said that the results for correcting just close-up vision weren't very good at all. He was actually quite opposed to it. He also mentioned correcting the close-up vision in one eye and the distance vision in the other eye, but said he wouldn't personally want that either, if he were the patient. He didn't seem to be trying to pressure me to get the multifocus lenses, but it almost seems like the only real option for me.

So anyway, I'm looking for some personal experiences from those who have had this surgery and chose to go with two monovision lenses, one to correct the distance vision and the other to correct the close-up vision. How'd it work out for you? It would be nice to get reasonably decent results without having to pay $7,300, but there's no way I'm paying that amount to correct only my distance vision. Putting on and taking off readers 50 times a day is getting really old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 07:45 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
my mother did this: she corrected distance since her close-up vision continued to deteriorate.
her distance correction lasted for decades, but if she had done close-up, it would not have
lasted very long due to the changes.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
i had the operation done in both eyes, distance vision is now phenominal, however i need readers to read ,i dont find it a problem.As for cost? My Canada healthcare plan paid for everything.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
My experience is the same as Jambo's as I went with the monocular distance lenses.

For close up and computer work I find the drug store cheapy reading glasses work well. I keep several pairs around so I can always find them.

Medicare and my secondary insurance covered the costs of that surgery, so with the exception of copays for the eyedrops before and after the surgery, I had no out of pocket expenses.

Good luck with your surgery, OP.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i had the operation done in both eyes, distance vision is now phenominal, however i need readers to read ,i dont find it a problem.As for cost? My Canada healthcare plan paid for everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My experience is the same as Jambo's as I went with the monocular distance lenses.

For close up and computer work I find the drug store cheapy reading glasses work well. I keep several pairs around so I can always find them.

Medicare and my secondary insurance covered the costs of that surgery, so with the exception of copays for the eyedrops before and after the surgery, I had no out of pocket expenses.

Good luck with your surgery, OP.
I've been using readers for 20 years now and I'd have to say that that's 90% of my problem. It's not that readers don't work well for me. I'm just sick of the off-on-off-on-off-on bit all day long. My distance vision really isn't all that bad. If my close-up vision is not corrected, it would be almost pointless to have the surgery. That's why I'm considering doing two different monocular lenses.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've been using readers for 20 years now and I'd have to say that that's 90% of my problem. It's not that readers don't work well for me. I'm just sick of the off-on-off-on-off-on bit all day long. My distance vision really isn't all that bad. If my close-up vision is not corrected, it would be almost pointless to have the surgery. That's why I'm considering doing two different monocular lenses.
It seems to me that the point of the surgery is to remove your cataracts, and that the vision correction is an added benefit.

I had a friend who got two different monocular lenses and she had a very bad time trying to get used to the two different lenses. When it came time for my cataract surgery, I knew I'd have a hard time dealing with the two different lenses, and this isn't something that you can say, "Well this isn't working, let's take them out and put the others in." So I got the distance vision lenses, although one of my eyes's distance vision wasn't very bad -- the other one was.

So, long story short -- you need to decide if you'll be able to manage two different lenses. Why not talk to your doctor about other patients' experiences with them?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:43 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I had both eyes done. before I had very bad distance vision, but good close up vision, now I have great distance vision, but need readers for close up and for computer.
I really need prescription lenses but have not gotten them due to out of control diabetes. Also only a few months after the surgery I started to develop Macula degeneration in both eyes so now the distance is not as good as it was and things have holes or fuzzy places when I look at anything and I now have to get shots in both eyeballs each month, I HATE IT.
Of course that part has nothing to do with the cataract surgery, just really bad luck.

There was no way I could afford the multi lenses and not sure they would have helped that much.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:52 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
I had both eyes done a couple years ago. Due to a really bad astigmatism, I opted for the lens that would reshape my eyeballs. Before I couldn't see close up or far away without glasses. Now I only have to use readers and my recent driver's license renewal states I no longer need corrective lenses. I paid $1,500 per eye out of pocket for those lenses; $3K total. Medicare paid for the surgery and whatever else was billed. $7,300 seems a bit high to me but maybe it isn't where you live. Or perhaps you're having something different than what I had. I'd pay anything I could to keep my vision. My father had macular degeneration and it was sad to watch him struggle. I hope it goes well for you.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I have monovision and would recommend it to anyone. It took my eyes about six months to adjust and I'll be honest -- the adjustment was difficult at first. But then my eyes adapted to the monovision and I learned to love it. And now, at the age of 72, I still dont need reading glasses or glasses of any kind.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, my optometrist told me my vision is finally bad enough (due to cataracts) that I am eligible for surgery that would be paid for by Medicare. I asked him if this would correct by close-up vision (which is pretty horrible) and my distance vision (which really isn't all that bad; I don't even need corrective lenses to drive).
Anyway, I went to the ophthalmologist he recommended and found out that Medicare will only monovision lenses. If you go with multifocus lenses, it doesn't. I have good supplemental insurance, but it looks like it will still be costing me nearly $7,300 to to get the multifocus lenses. I told him that if I had to pick between correcting my close-up vision or my distance vision, which would make monovision lenses an option, I'd choose to correct by close-up vision. He said that the results for correcting just close-up vision weren't very good at all. He was actually quite opposed to it. He also mentioned correcting the close-up vision in one eye and the distance vision in the other eye, but said he wouldn't personally want that either, if he were the patient. He didn't seem to be trying to pressure me to get the multifocus lenses, but it almost seems like the only real option for me.

So anyway, I'm looking for some personal experiences from those who have had this surgery and chose to go with two monovision lenses, one to correct the distance vision and the other to correct the close-up vision. How'd it work out for you? It would be nice to get reasonably decent results without having to pay $7,300, but there's no way I'm paying that amount to correct only my distance vision. Putting on and taking off readers 50 times a day is getting really old.
First of all, take a breath. Your options aren't limited to the false trichotomy (or dichotomy) that your ophthalmologist is painting.

I'd warn against monovision - you lose your depth perception and will get constant headaches. Hint: your driver license renewal secretly tests EACH eye, with some material in front of the left eye, and the rest in front of your right. You will likely be wearing some sort of vision correction in BOTH distance and near to alleviate the eye strain.

If the $7,300 is not an option for you, go distance, and get bifocal contact lenses. No prescription in the middle, and a + power around the edges. Insert them in the morning, remove before bed.

Long time contact lens wearer, 15+ years and counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness