Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No problem. Some of us are veterans at trying to sleep. As I posted already, my latest theory (very slim chance) is that GABA (a neurotransmitter that influences sleep) was depleted when they had me on an antidepressant a long time ago. The antidepressant raises levels of serotonin. Serotonin is what Trazadone is about. So IF my serotonin is too high, that would explain why I feel awful on Trazadone instead of it putting me to sleep. I take Klonopin, which raises GABA. GABA and serotonin are neurotransmitters that make you sleep.

I have bought and tried GABA in supplement form but it doesn't work at all. It is said to work in a few people but usually doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. So that was another waste of money but i want to be able to say I've tried everything and wanted to get off Klonopin.

A few nights a week I take Rx Gabapentin/Neurontin that some people take for pain. For me it does absolutely nothing for pain. What it does is puts me to sleep.

So I have two sleep aids. There are also foods that are supposed to raise GABA levels but they don't work for me. See? This is really boring and tedious. But I am not the only person who is stuck with chronic insomnia that doesn't respond to anything except a prescription.

There are lots of different reasons for insomnia and they include stress, thyroid issues, pain, and maybe just some chemical imbalance in the brain.
Have you tried CBT/THC at a low dose? The brand is Breez - it's a mint . . . very subtle, but does help with sleep (and not toxic!)

Good luck!

P.S. How about swimming? That used to always wear me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Also: You might benefit from a massage chair. Very relaxing and gets the knots out. The hot tub also helps in relaxation.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Also: You might benefit from a massage chair. Very relaxing and gets the knots out. The hot tub also helps in relaxation.
Quote:
Have you tried CBT/THC at a low dose? The brand is Breez - it's a mint . . . very subtle, but does help with sleep (and not toxic!)

Good luck!

P.S. How about swimming? That used to always wear me out
Yes, I swim at least once a week and I often use the hot tub when I 'm there. Does nothing to help with sleep. You can be totally exhausted but still not be able to sleep. This has nothing to do with how tired you are, you still cannot fall asleep.

I used to get massages, cannot afford a massage chair, and it wouldn't make any difference. I am going to ask about cannabis when it becomes legal, do not know what CBT/THC is but would probably try it.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:34 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I am going to ask about cannabis when it becomes legal, do not know what CBT/THC is but would probably try it.
CBD is cannabidiol, is a phytocannabinoid, one of the hundreds of elements contained in the cannabis plant. It is not psychoactive and doesn't get you high. It is said to have health benefits. People use it for inflammation, anxiety, insomnia or pain relief. Some studies suggest that CBD might also have cancer-fighting properties.

THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the active ingredient in the cannabis plant, the part that gets you high. It can stimulate the appetite and help with pain and depression. Some people enjoy the intoxicating effects but others don't tolerate it very well. If you are a newbie it is best to start with very low doses (5 mg. THC or less) and see how it affects you.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I had the same problem with Ambien, but Lunesta worked well for me without the sleep walking (cooking... eating...).

I now take a low dose of Amptitryptiline (sp) and it works well.

So you do have options that don't have the same side effects. Good luck.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
I can't believe so many people take drugs to sleep.

There are tons of natural sleep remedies - tons - sleep hygiene - magnesium, B vitamins, fan or sound machine in room, comfy bed, cotton sheets, right temperature (cooler, better), good pillow, essential oils, hot bath with Epsom salts before bed, limit alcohol, exercise (but not before bed), try CBT/THC "mint," thought control techniques, etc., etc.

The number of natural remedies (and their effectiveness) is quite amazing.

If you don't have side effects now from the toxic substances you are taking, do you wonder how they might affect your organs long-term? From kidney/liver/heart concerns to Alzheimer's???

Edited to add: Sleep mask! This is super helpful!
I cant believe how rude and ignorant you are about this topic. Do you have an MD after your name? What are your qualifications to make such bold and inaccurate statements?
Obviously you have never suffered from extended insomnia.

Lots of people have to take medications for certain ailments so avoiding doctor prescribed meds is not an option. They do not all have toxic side effects. I don't think your hyperbole on this topic is helpful. You shouldn't make people feel scared or bad for taking something that helps them.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
The modern lifestyle is bad for the spine. Beds, shoes, inactivity, weak or tense muscles, etc., all things I mentioned before.

Insomnia can result from the spine being out of alignment. The only times I ever felt too restless to sleep, that was the cause. Not too hard to fix, if you practice yoga.

Misalignments can easily become chronic, as the muscles are good at forming bad habits. The goal is to locate those chronically tense muscles and release the tension.

I know I will be outnumbered and shouted down by the drug advocates. I know I won't be believed. However I am posting anyway because I have this crazy impulse to share the valuable things I have discovered.

Take it or leave it.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The modern lifestyle is bad for the spine. Beds, shoes, inactivity, weak or tense muscles, etc., all things I mentioned before.

Insomnia can result from the spine being out of alignment. The only times I ever felt too restless to sleep, that was the cause. Not too hard to fix, if you practice yoga.

Misalignments can easily become chronic, as the muscles are good at forming bad habits. The goal is to locate those chronically tense muscles and release the tension.

I know I will be outnumbered and shouted down by the drug advocates. I know I won't be believed. However I am posting anyway because I have this crazy impulse to share the valuable things I have discovered.

Take it or leave it.
Many women have insomnia as a result of menopause or fluctuating hormones. There is nothing in the modern lifestyle that is going to stop menopause or fluctuating hormones if that is a problem you have. I know plenty of women who had good diets and healthy lifestyles who still had problems with hormones and/or menopause and needed medicine for insomnia.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

Take it or leave it.
Would you please list your credentials?
Yoga does not fix everything, including insomnia. Insomnia is not all about tense muscles.
As the above poster said women going through menopause can experience insomnia. There are many reasons for not sleeping and sometimes the ONLY fix is medication.

And again, please list your credentials.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I cant believe how rude and ignorant you are about this topic. Do you have an MD after your name? What are your qualifications to make such bold and inaccurate statements?
Obviously you have never suffered from extended insomnia.

Lots of people have to take medications for certain ailments so avoiding doctor prescribed meds is not an option. They do not all have toxic side effects. I don't think your hyperbole on this topic is helpful. You shouldn't make people feel scared or bad for taking something that helps them.
Your response is much "ruder" than anything I have written on this subject. I have a couple of degrees and a lifetime of experience - "MD's" don't really have solutions other than toxic drugs, and the people taking such drugs are going to MD's, and still not sleeping, so your point is illogical.

All drugs have toxic side effects. Not sure why you would say otherwise. Kind of bizarre - they all come with lists of side effects and you can also check side effects on the web if you have lost the inserts or didn't have that consultation with the pharmacist that is offered.

How is listing natural remedies making "people feel scared or bad?"

I don't think "most people" who take a myriad of drugs are in the frame of mind to analyze long-term side effects. When you are looking for quick fixes, getting Alzheimer's down the road is not something you probably consider as a deterrent - just guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness