U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 PM

3,621 posts, read 1,045,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Okay, what are your degrees in and what is your experience? We can start with that.

You started off responding about how all doctors prescribed medications are toxic. For one that is patently false and it is not helpful for those that must take doctor prescribed medication, not just for insomnia but for other ailments. Not all side effects listed on a drug apply.
You can list all the natural 'remedies' you like. But you should not preface those with an attitude that its crazy not to try them first. How do you know people haven't tried those first? And even if they didn't its not your job to make them feel they are not taking care of themselves adequately, because of your opinions on medications.

Perhaps in the future you can preface your statements with an IMO. Or produce peer reviewed studies backing up your claims.
I have read many posts at this forum by people who are taking drugs. There is almost never a mention of non-drug alternatives. Unless it is bought up by me or a couple of other drug skeptics. And we are always attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Agree. I can tell you that lack of estrogen causes it. We cancer survivors take hormone blockers and I call it my anti-sleep pill. He may have to choose between ED and insomnia but others are choosing between death and insomnia. I am guessing possibly as men age, their reduced testosterone causes it as well.
It can't simply be lack of estrogen. If it were, most older women would have insomnia.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Medications that can affect sleep include:

Anti-arrhythmics (for heart rhythm problems)
Beta blockers (for high blood pressure)
Clonidine (for high blood pressure)
Corticosteroids (for inflammation or asthma)
Diuretics (for high blood pressure)
Cough, cold, and flu medications that contain alcohol.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your perspective is your opinion. And since you have listed no credentials that could bolster that opinion it will stay as such.
You assume a lot. You have no idea what people go through before they take medications. You have no idea how much they believe their doctor or not. It is not a zero sum game.

Look my only beef with you is that you insult people. You may not realize you are doing it, but you are.
I am all for natural approaches and I have done many. I would much rather take a natural approach to my health which I value. But that is not to be for me. And it is not to be for others as well.

Insomnia is such a frustrating condition the las thing people here want is to be made to feel they are doing something wrong by taking doctor prescribed meds after they have tried everything else.
You are just assuming they tried everything else. If their post says nothing about trying anything else, I assume they didn't.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:37 PM

29,412 posts, read 18,639,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It can't simply be lack of estrogen. If it were, most older women would have insomnia.
It's an extremely common side effect of menopause.

Back to the OP: the only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is HemiSync sleep "music", that helps me sometimes if I wake in the middle of the night, I think they may have some on YouTube, or things that are similar. It is supposed to "sync" your brain the sleep wave lengths. Can't hurt to try.

I think you are doing the right things, and just need to get on another med to get you the sleep you need.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-08-2019, 05:57 PM

3,905 posts, read 1,398,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am HUGE believer in them. They MUST be black, IMO. I buy a fancy one at Bloomingdales that is made out of silk when I can get it on sale. It's very nice.
For me, this is one of the most important aids! I found a silk one I like on Amazon.

It takes the pressure off of having to effort to close your eyes! I love it. Total darkness.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 PM

3,905 posts, read 1,398,827 times
If you haven't already, use a sleep monitor. I like the Beddit (Apple).

I am a good sleeper. I thought I needed nine hours of sleep (and thought I was getting that), but it turns out, I am a couple of hours off - when under stress (I have a bad "worry" problem), it sometimes takes a while to go to sleep and then I wake up once and that it takes awhile to get back asleep again. My problem is WORRY . . . I definitely need help with that, if anyone is an expert in that problem.

For sleep what works for me is the black silk mask (Amazon), a fan, relaxing essential oils, a hot Epsom Salts bath, and sometimes very small dose of half CBD and THC in the form of a mint (Breez).

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,054,712 times
When a med causes insomnia from either getting on it or getting off it, an addt'l med is usually prescribed to alleviate some of those effects. i prefer Valium but I am not an addictaive personality and many docs are hesitant to give it. During insomnia I had to take 1, 5 mg. Valium every 4-5 hours for 1 - 2 days and as a new med Prozac was taken, the Valium was lowered in half by about the 3rd day band by a week a half more. I am very responsive to Prozac though.

best of luck, maybe they can give you Ambien or another fake-Benzo like Xanax. it works for most people-does nothing good for me.

Every body is different.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,118,017 times
Amitriptyline is an alternative to Trazadone. Both are old-fashioned out-of-date anti-depressants which are no longer used for depression, but are prescribed for insomnia instead.

I did not like the side effects of Trazadone after trying it for a short period - it made me have a chemicalized feeling. Amitriptyline, though, suits me fine and is effective.

You could try Amitriptyline which is often prescribed for insomnia, and also take L-Tryptophan tablets and perhaps over the counter Alteril which contains L-Tryptophan, Melatonin, and similar ingredients. I've recently added these two to my Amitriptyline routine.

I do think Amitriptyline might subdue ability to orgasm (subdue a little but not prevent it), but you could try it.

I don't believe in taking prescription sleeping pills such as Ambien or Lunesta - too many side effects plus becoming addicted plus Ambien can easily cause sleepwalking and even getting up and driving one's car while sleepwalking and not even remembering it.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 5,113,472 times
Here's another factor to take into consideration if you can't sleep: The blue light which emanates from television sets and computer screens is said to suppress the brain's natural ability to produce melatonin. But if you don't want to turn off your electronics before bed, there's an option. You can buy blue-blocking glasses. I have a pair, and though they don't seem to make a lot of difference for me - I can still get to sleep without them if I use my usual remedies - for some, they might be worth looking into. If you already wear prescription glasses, you can buy a fitover version.

I am also a big fan of sleep masks and noise generators. Ours has several options (brook, heartbeat, rain, etc.) but we have it set on ocean waves, which is soothing and blocks out street noise.

Thanks to jaminhealth I have been checking out Inositol and am looking forward to trying it. Our local GNC carries it, but it's $150 for what looks like about a gallon size jar, so I gave it a pass and will look for another source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or