U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:57 AM

7,584 posts, read 5,602,084 times

Advertisements

I remember reading that its really hard for Americans to get enough magnesium for no other reason than our soil doesn't have much of it. Easy enough to supplement it in a vitamin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 3,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Snack on pumpkin seeds, they're pretty yummy and have mag.

Yes, but like flax and sesame, they are also LOADED with estrogen.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM

6,327 posts, read 3,556,641 times
One good way to increase magnesium is with magnesium oil. And if you use it on your armpits, you don't need to use deodorant! No problems with constipation etc when taken this way.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:13 PM

29,438 posts, read 18,657,092 times
I've logged my food intake a few times to see what my nutritional consumption is.

I don't really think you need to get the RDA of vitamins EVERY day, just in general (no scientific reason, just my feeling). I am blood tested a minimum of 4 times a year (though not for everything) so I have some good info on my general health.

But my theory on nutrition is variety... different meats, oils, seeds/nuts, legumes, fruits/veggies, spices and herbs. Variety and moderation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-08-2019, 02:21 PM

14,212 posts, read 7,744,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If you check that nutrition site (or any you prefer) you'll see that plants are generally woefully low in vitamins & minerals.

Consider the situation intuitively: cell chemistry is very similar in all cells-- Remember hi school bio? Krebs cycle, oxidative phosphorylation etc..That all takes place in the cytoplasm of the cells. ...Plants are mostly cellulose--a lot of cell wall with little cyctoplasm. Animals are all cytoplasm., so more vits & mins per lb.

If you're not motivated to look up and compare for yourself, at least page over to that thread here on Eat Your Veggies where I compared beef, bread, kale, tomatoes & potatoes Meat has double digit percentages of RDA for most vits & mins, while most veggies (peas & potatoes are exceptions) have 5% or less in most- ie- it would take 20+ servings a day to fill your needs.

My real purpose here is for people to evaluate their own eating patterns and to realize that, even tho they think they are eating healthy, maybe they're not.

BTW- that one burger & potato gives me almost all the niacin, thiamine & B6 (among others) that I need for the day. I'd have to choke down more than 30 servings of kale to get anywhere near that, and then still be way short in protein and calories.
Funny - sounds like those commercials that say "x" has more Vitamin C than a whole loaf of bread! When of COURSE bread isn't known to have much at all Vitamin C so it is a bogus comparison.

Kale has:
206% daily Vitamin A
134% daily Vitamin C
684% daily Vitamin K
and a bunch of others that aren't so impressive...like most foods!

Sure, meat is good but you moved the goalposts when you threw in kale and tomatoes....and you're cherrypicking what vitamins you're counting with individual foods. OMG - oranges are a lousy source of protein (but they're a good source of Vitamin C - who cares?). Oh no - spinach has no B6 (and only 301% of your Vitamin A!). The point is to eat a variety...or just take vitamins since you're worried..about magnesium at least.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:22 PM

14,212 posts, read 7,744,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
THAT'LL make a woman out of ya! (if you aren't one already)

Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,137,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
False. They are phytoestrogens.

Quote:
Although phytoestrogens such as lignans are structurally similar to the estrogen made by the body, eating more flax does not appear to increase blood levels of this hormone.

In fact, a review of available human research, published in the May 2014 issue of "Integrative Cancer Therapies," concluded that flaxseed consumption in women either had no impact, or caused a decrease in blood levels of estrogen.

Additionally, one of these trials showed that 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed daily reduced levels in the women who were overweight, but did not significantly decrease estrogen levels in normal weight postmenopausal women.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...trogen-levels/

IMO, Flax is a superfood. It is loaded with healthy fats, minerals, vitamins, and fiber. It's fairly high in carbs but it's all fiber which nets almost 0 carbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax

Same goes for the pumpkin seeds and the sesame, they are not estrogens. I buy my pumpkin seeds shelled in bulk.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM

29,438 posts, read 18,657,092 times
I get almost half of my daily magnesium from dark chocolate alone.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-08-2019, 02:51 PM

2,292 posts, read 808,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

I don't believe that all magnesium is the same as far as absorption.

If you just wanna wash your face, you don't need to fill the whole bath tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've logged my food intake a few times to see what my nutritional consumption is.

I don't really think you need to get the RDA of vitamins EVERY day, just in general (no scientific reason, just my feeling). I am blood tested a minimum of 4 times a year (though not for everything) so I have some good info on my general health.

But my theory on nutrition is variety... different meats, oils, seeds/nuts, legumes, fruits/veggies, spices and herbs. Variety and moderation.

Right. It's average intake over time that counts. Even Vit C, which has no storage depot in our bodies takes 6 full months of zero intake to begin to show early signs of scurvy. Good post; can't rep you again yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
bogus comparison.

Kale has:
206% daily Vitamin A
134% daily Vitamin C
684% daily Vitamin K
and a bunch of others that aren't so impressive...like most foods!

Sure, meat is good but you moved the goalposts when you threw in kale and tomatoes....and you're cherrypicking what vitamins you're counting with individual foods. OMG - oranges are a lousy source of protein (but they're a good source of Vitamin C - who cares?). Oh no - spinach has no B6 (and only 301% of your Vitamin A!). The point is to eat a variety...or just take vitamins since you're worried..about magnesium at least.

Vitamin A-- you can get too much. That's why polar bear liver is toxic.
Vitamin K- no one needs it in the diet, Our gut flora makes all we need. Commensalism.
Vitamin C- good source. Big deal. One vitamin that potato can give almost half your requirement too.

I mentioned kale & tomatoes because they're always mentioned as being so good for us. They're better than Ho-Hos, but not much.

If a nutrient is less than 10% of RDA in any given food, then that's not nutrition dense- you need too many servings to provide the need. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it. It just means you need other sources too. I wouldn't consider any RDA less than 20% to be a "good" source of anything.

Re: Mg in soil-- one of the most abundant elements.-- rarely is soil supplementation necessary. Mg is the central atom in the chlorophyll molecule, so plants need more then we do, cell for cell. But as I wrote earlier-- there's just not that much cytoplasm in a plant compared to an animal, not to mention, we don't eat the green part of most veggies-- more often their roots & fruits are the edible part.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,137,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If you just wanna wash your face, you don't need to fill the whole bath tub.
Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness