U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 03:00 PM

6,326 posts, read 3,556,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
False. They are phytoestrogens.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...trogen-levels/

IMO, Flax is a superfood. It is loaded with healthy fats, minerals, vitamins, and fiber. It's fairly high in carbs but it's all fiber which nets almost 0 carbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax

Same goes for the pumpkin seeds and the sesame, they are not estrogens. I buy my pumpkin seeds shelled in bulk.

I have estrogen receptive breast cancer. According to my oncologist there is conflicting data regarding the similarities between estrogen and phytoestrogens and their actions in the human body. One established fact, however, is that phytoestrogens interfere with the actions of Tamoxifen on estrogen receptive breast cancer. On her advice, I have eliminated soy, flax, sesame and pumpkin seeds, all of which I consumed before my diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 03:03 PM

6,326 posts, read 3,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
THAT'LL make a woman out of ya! (if you aren't one already)

There are many who say it even causes "man boobs"!!

Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 PM

29,438 posts, read 18,657,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
There are many who say it even causes "man boobs"!!
moobs
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,137,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I have estrogen receptive breast cancer. According to my oncologist there is conflicting data regarding the similarities between estrogen and phytoestrogens and their actions in the human body. One established fact, however, is that phytoestrogens interfere with the actions of Tamoxifen on estrogen receptive breast cancer. On her advice, I have eliminated soy, flax, sesame and pumpkin seeds, all of which I consumed before my diagnosis.
Ahh, I understand. So is your problem too much or too little estrogen? Sorry, I am a male, can't relate directly.

On a side note, I also want to mention that if you eat "regular" beef, cattle are known to be given estrogen in the fattening-up process. It may not be that much per serving but it could add up if you eat a lot of it. I do remember another post on this, it's been a while. It was about men and boys developing breasts. This is the suspected cause.

As you say, the information is conflicting but in the article I posted, there is a link to a conclusive study done in 2014. It may interest you.

Quote:
In fact, a review of available human research, published in the May 2014 issue of "Integrative Cancer Therapies," concluded that flaxseed consumption in women either had no impact, or caused a decrease in blood levels of estrogen.

Additionally, one of these trials showed that 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed daily reduced levels in the women who were overweight, but did not significantly decrease estrogen levels in normal weight postmenopausal women.
Article here
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...34735413502076

Old 02-08-2019, 03:57 PM

11,103 posts, read 5,384,309 times
We don’t eat a lot of soy, but I’ve been sprinkle a bit of flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Not much nor regular. I’m glad I read this thread. My husband checked his Magnesium is Oxide. But he is taking it daily.

Is there a problem with too much Magnesium?

Old 02-08-2019, 05:18 PM

11,103 posts, read 5,384,309 times
Thank you @Jamie for your PM. For some reasons, I couldn’t reply to you.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM

2,292 posts, read 808,856 times
Quote:

On a side note, I also want to mention that if you eat "regular" beef, cattle are known to be given estrogen in the fattening-up process.

The "growth hormone" given to cattle is actually an estrogen-- BUT- there's the "wash-out period" - the time before slaughter during which no hormone is allowed to be given-- the meat you eat has none of the extra hormone in it. A 6oz serving of beef has 16x LESS estrogen than a serving of potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post

Usually not-- excess Mg is not well absorbed from the GI tract (too much can give you diarrhea, It's the basis of MOM for constipation) and good kidneys usually prevent an excess to build up in the body. Mg can be used to "settle nerves," not because you're deficient, but because high doses slow down nerve conduction, muscle reflexes & stength and even the heart rhythm (in certain cardiac problems, that can be bad.)

Quote:
Please explain.

Glad you asked.

While "bio-availability" sounds like it could be a problem, it's not that complicated. Using those numbers from the govt ( Mg oxide b-a 4% and Mg citrate 90%) and the molecular weights of MgO & Mg citrate, we can calculate this: a 400mg tab of MgOx will give you ~10mg of useable Mg and cost you 3 cents a pill at Walmart, while a 100mg tab of Mg citrate will give you ~12 mg of Mg and cost you 6 cents a pill.

[the dif is that Mg is only16% of a citrate pill, and 90% of that is available, while Mg is 60% of an oxide pill with 4% of that available. My "water" illusion was that you just adjust the dose to meet your needs.]

Old 02-08-2019, 06:45 PM

14,821 posts, read 30,302,396 times
I love mg, it is the ONE supplement that If I had to pick one, would not give up. I have experimented with many varieties; and by far for ME the one that works best is the ionic mg powder from "Natural Calm" I can literally FEEL it working within minutes, it reduces blood pressure and opens up my airways. I used to have abnormal heart rhythms, but this the mg - no more.

I also agree about meats and flesh foods. I absolutely think they are healthier and have more nutrients than vegetables. I have gotten sick off lettuce and veggies, I don't think "raw" stuff is healthy at all. The Chinese (as well as other Asian cultures) believe raw foods are not good, lightly steamed is best along with protein (flesh) foods in small servings) I find this the best, overall.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:27 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,553,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
On another thread here yesterday, I looked up some nutrient/diet info and that led me to examine my own diet again. I've challenged members here previously to analyze their own typical diets, but nobody seems to have followed up on that.

In particular, I'm basically a meat & potatoes kind of eater. While both of those are pretty good in supplying Mg, I'm probably only getting in the range of 300mg/d, while the RDA is 400mg. ???

I don't seem to be unhealthy in any way based on that. In fact, I'm 69 y/o and don't look a day over 67, and when I recently took a stress test, the doctor told me that I had the heart of an athlete. "Guido," he said, "You have the heart of an athlete....yes, an 87 y/o athlete." I went away satisfied and proud.

Anyway--anybody else analyzing their typical daily eating and finding similar discrepancies between RDA and what they're getting?

https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patient...mRichFoods.pdf

https://nutritiondata.self.com/
Wonder if it was the post that got shut down after I posted about benefits of magnesium
for the guy worried about his asthma ? it does not matter but am
so glad magnesium is being brought up again. In any case
I have found the magnesium oil to be the most efficient way of getting it in your body.
I buy the oil and bought a glass spray bottle and just spray it on my skin. If I have a
muscle cramp or worse it gets better after a spray or two directly onto the skin.

As is posted further down do keep an eye on blood pressure, it can lower it, lol , not a bad thing for some
people.

add me to the crowd that loves your humor

Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM

29,438 posts, read 18,657,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We donít eat a lot of soy, but Iíve been sprinkle a bit of flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Not much nor regular. Iím glad I read this thread. My husband checked his Magnesium is Oxide. But he is taking it daily.

Possibly, yes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness