Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM

8,174 posts, read 3,367,032 times

Advertisements

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ogical-effects

"The vast majority of the research leads to the same conclusion; low cholesterol leads to higher rates of depression or depressive symptoms."

Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ogical-effects

"The vast majority of the research leads to the same conclusion; low cholesterol leads to higher rates of depression or depressive symptoms."
I agree and have been saying this for months here and believing it for years. I don't worry about cholesterol FINALLY as the doctors want to convince everyone of it's fear. That info can be confirming to the masses. Hence all the lowering drugs.

I don't go out of my way to avoid cholesterol and don't bath in it, but don't fear it and brain is good as no depression issues. Not a spring chicken here. Thanks G4N.....

Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM

I read other articles besides that one. There is plentiful research showing a connection between very low cholesterol and mental illness. Also, suicide and violent crime!

Now, you would think, and I would think, that ... hm ... suicide and violent crimes are pretty bad things.

I have read a lot about cholesterol, as you know, but it wasn't until today that I looked up the connection with mental illness. A friend told me recently, proudly, that his total cholesterol was 80. What? Could that be why this friend sometimes acts so crazy? Google? Yes, that could be the reason.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM

48,253 posts, read 34,376,230 times
I think there is a difference between good, bad, very low and very high.

I suspect if you have high cholesterol and it is all the bad, that is unhealthy, but if it is high with the good then it is acceptable.

Extremes of any kind are probably unhealthy, very high OR very low.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
I read other articles besides that one. There is plentiful research showing a connection between very low cholesterol and mental illness. Also, suicide and violent crime!

Now, you would think, and I would think, that ... hm ... suicide and violent crimes are pretty bad things.

I have read a lot about cholesterol, as you know, but it wasn't until today that I looked up the connection with mental illness. A friend told me recently, proudly, that his total cholesterol was 80. What? Could that be why this friend sometimes acts so crazy? Google? Yes, that could be the reason.
Yes and I've read some members talking about their very low cholesterol of 120 or so...yikes.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think there is a difference between good, bad, very low and very high.

I suspect if you have high cholesterol and it is all the bad, that is unhealthy, but if it is high with the good then it is acceptable.

Extremes of any kind are probably unhealthy, very high OR very low.
Yes, they did find some mental illness problems with very high cholesterol also.

One thing I found out though -- the LDL (bad) level is inferred from the HDL (good) level. So they find total, and subtract HDL, to get LDL.

And it isn't really "good" or "bad." LDL and HDL are just transporters of cholesterol. LDL bringing to to cells, and HDL taking it away.

Most of this is still unknown. But one thing that is known for certain -- cholesterol, in general, is NOT BAD FOR YOU!! It is especially important for the brain.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM

48,253 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Quote:
Yes, they did find some mental illness problems with very high cholesterol also.

One thing I found out though -- the LDL (bad) level is inferred from the HDL (good) level. So they find total, and subtract HDL, to get LDL.

And it isn't really "good" or "bad." LDL and HDL are just transporters of cholesterol. LDL bringing to to cells, and HDL taking it away.

Most of this is still unknown. But one thing that is known for certain -- cholesterol, in general, is NOT BAD FOR YOU!! It is especially important for the brain.
Well, it killed my husband, as per the autopsy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 4,950,204 times
Quote:

No, the autopsy (presumably) showed sever arterial sclerosis, and his blood test (presumably) showed hi chol. -- but half the people with MI or strokes have normal chol levels. It's just a coincidence.

Our brains are something like 70% lipid. We can deduce that any drug affecting lipid metabolism would affect brain chemistry & function.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,943,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
No, the autopsy (presumably) showed sever arterial sclerosis, and his blood test (presumably) showed hi chol. -- but half the people with MI or strokes have normal chol levels. It's just a coincidence.
What that means is the current guidelines are too low.

"Almost 75 percent of heart attack patients fell within recommended targets for LDL cholesterol, demonstrating that the current guidelines may not be low enough to cut heart attack risk in most who could benefit," said Dr. Gregg C. Fonarow, Eliot Corday Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine and Science at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the study's principal investigator."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0112130653.htm

Old 02-11-2019, 06:45 PM

4,138 posts, read 3,863,983 times
Quote:
High cholesterol or heart disease killed your husband?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness