U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:22 AM

2,261 posts, read 799,209 times

Advertisements

On another thread here yesterday, I looked up some nutrient/diet info and that led me to examine my own diet again. I've challenged members here previously to analyze their own typical diets, but nobody seems to have followed up on that.

In particular, I'm basically a meat & potatoes kind of eater. While both of those are pretty good in supplying Mg, I'm probably only getting in the range of 300mg/d, while the RDA is 400mg. ???

I don't seem to be unhealthy in any way based on that. In fact, I'm 69 y/o and don't look a day over 67, and when I recently took a stress test, the doctor told me that I had the heart of an athlete. "Guido," he said, "You have the heart of an athlete....yes, an 87 y/o athlete." I went away satisfied and proud.

Anyway--anybody else analyzing their typical daily eating and finding similar discrepancies between RDA and what they're getting?

https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patient...mRichFoods.pdf

https://nutritiondata.self.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:37 AM

472 posts, read 138,726 times
I take magnesium supplements because I do IF (intermittent fasting) and electrolytes are important, and also because it helps to keep me 'regular'.

The husband needs to watch his sodium intake as well as his oxalates because he gets kidney stones. It's been amazing to me doing all the research on the foods we should and shouldn't eat due to both of our food rules!

One thing I did find that might actually be useful to you (and more pertinent to this thread) - those USDA recommendations are usually based on a 2000 calorie diet. Well I'm a small person and don't eat a 2000 calorie diet, I eat more like 1300-1500 calories each day. This was super helpful to me certain issues I was having from getting too much of something!

(and HA - I love your age jokes)

Old Today, 06:10 AM

3,810 posts, read 3,013,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post

(and HA - I love your age jokes)
I also enjoy the humor he sometimes embeds in his posts. The one about knowing pain and suffering because he's been married to the same woman for 37 years.....that one made me chuckle, Guido.

Old Today, 07:06 AM

14,183 posts, read 7,722,752 times
OP - you eat mostly meat and potatoes - and your concern is with magnesium? You're fine with all other vitamins?

Old Today, 08:47 AM

1,236 posts, read 365,497 times
I was surprised to read that magnesium was the 3rd most common deficiency in the US diet. I recently started taking magnesium glycinate supplement since I know I don’t get enough leafy greens and have noticed some minor positive effects. I seem to sleep a bit better, bladder doesn’t call out so often during the night and my always achy restless legs seem to be slightly better. No huge impact but a few small things that are enough to keep me on it.

Old Today, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
OP - you eat mostly meat and potatoes - and your concern is with magnesium? You're fine with all other vitamins?

If you check that nutrition site (or any you prefer) you'll see that plants are generally woefully low in vitamins & minerals.

Consider the situation intuitively: cell chemistry is very similar in all cells-- Remember hi school bio? Krebs cycle, oxidative phosphorylation etc..That all takes place in the cytoplasm of the cells. ...Plants are mostly cellulose--a lot of cell wall with little cyctoplasm. Animals are all cytoplasm., so more vits & mins per lb.

If you're not motivated to look up and compare for yourself, at least page over to that thread here on Eat Your Veggies where I compared beef, bread, kale, tomatoes & potatoes Meat has double digit percentages of RDA for most vits & mins, while most veggies (peas & potatoes are exceptions) have 5% or less in most- ie- it would take 20+ servings a day to fill your needs.

My real purpose here is for people to evaluate their own eating patterns and to realize that, even tho they think they are eating healthy, maybe they're not.

BTW- that one burger & potato gives me almost all the niacin, thiamine & B6 (among others) that I need for the day. I'd have to choke down more than 30 servings of kale to get anywhere near that, and then still be way short in protein and calories.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; Today at 09:03 AM..

Old Today, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I was surprised to read that magnesium was the 3rd most common deficiency in the US diet. I recently started taking magnesium glycinate supplement since I know I don’t get enough leafy greens and have noticed some minor positive effects. I seem to sleep a bit better, bladder doesn’t call out so often during the night and my always achy restless legs seem to be slightly better. No huge impact but a few small things that are enough to keep me on it.

People on diuretics are well aware that the meds make them lose Potassium (K) but more recently it's become apparent that it causes a good deal of Mg wasting too. Docs are prescribing Mg replacement more frequently....The problem diagnosing Mg deficiency is that by the time your blood test shows it's low, the total body Mg is very, very low.

People with symptoms of excessive irritability of nerve or cardiac function (cardiac irregularities, muscle twitches, spasms, anxiety or insomnia etc) maybe should try a trial of Mg supplements. They may not work...They may work because they work, or they may work by placebo effect. But who cares? It's usually safe (except in kidney failure.) Of course good medical diagnosis to rule out other problems should be done first.

BTW- don't waste money on higher priced Mg pills. Mg oxide is just as effective and is the cheapest.

Old Today, 10:20 AM

11,040 posts, read 5,353,228 times
My husband is taking Magnesium daily, is that a problem. His health has since improved. Muscle twitches was one symptom. I wonder why doctors don’t recommend it more. I take potassium, helps with high blood pressure or keep it in tact, not rising.

But my husband eats lots of vegs as well as meat, no potato, or very little, were recently add more greens. So even with people who eat more vegs, it depends on the vegs, not all vegs are equal.

Old Today, 10:23 AM

3,185 posts, read 2,131,104 times
Just be aware that the rate of absorption with most types of mag supps are low. So if you supplement with 400mg, you may absorb 100mg? or 200mg? if you're lucky. So in a sense, the food you eat that contains magnesium will supplement the supplement. I've been taking a mag supp for years now, currently on the oxide which is cheap, have also tried the citrate but it is a lot bulkier or in other words, the pills are huge. Apparently, the binder is not as dense as the oxide. The citrate is supposedly better absorbed which is why I was using it at the time.

According to this article, the oxide has an absorption rate of 4% which is nothing, the citrate has a rate of 90%, so no comparison if this is to be believed.

A Guide to Different Types of Magnesium

Edit: Here's a more reputable source, the NIH.
Quote:
Absorption of magnesium from different kinds of magnesium supplements varies. Forms of magnesium that dissolve well in liquid are more completely absorbed in the gut than less soluble forms [2,14]. Small studies have found that magnesium in the aspartate, citrate, lactate, and chloride forms is absorbed more completely and is more bioavailable than magnesium oxide and magnesium sulfate [14-18]. One study found that very high doses of zinc from supplements (142 mg/day) can interfere with magnesium absorption and disrupt the magnesium balance in the body [19].
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ma...hProfessional/

I don't believe that all magnesium is the same as far as absorption.

Old Today, 10:44 AM

3,088 posts, read 2,961,689 times
Snack on pumpkin seeds, they're pretty yummy and have mag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness