U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:00 PM

734 posts, read 267,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Curiouser and curiouser.

Your doc sounds like she's compassionate & knows her stuff.

You have a low TSH, suggesting either over-active thyroid or under-active pituitary (not likely, but not impossible). Her reluctance to treat just yet suggests it's not so over-active that there's symptoms.

Your nodules are cold, ie- not producing significant amounts of T4, so we can't blame them for the low TSH. Only ~10% of cold nodules turn out to be cancer, and the fact that you have more than one also makes ca even a little less likely. The colder areas might just be normal thyroid tissue suppressed by the hotter surrounding functioning thyroid cells.

Without complete details & the ability to examine you and the scans, (not to mention what the heck do we all know?) we can't tell you what to do. But in regards your original question, by our collective experiences, we can tell you that needle bx is easy and life without a thyroid, should it come to that, is no problem.

Best wishes.
OK, thanks. Yes, I am happy to have the doctor who is an assistant professor and compassionate. I've expressed how scared I am, and she is trying to hold my hand through this and not force me. Thanks for your support also. Makes it easier to go for the aspiration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
My mother had a goiter and had her thyroid removed when she is was in her twenties. She is 91 now and has taken thyroid pills for a long time. She has never had a problem.
Wow, that's encouraging. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Your TSH levels might have nothing to do with the nodules. Normally if you have low TSH levels it indicates your thyroid isn't putting out enough and you feel fatigued. When a person has his thyroid removed or it is indicated that his thyroid isn't doing the job, medication is prescribed that supplies the hormone your thyroid should have been producing. You'll feel tons better when you take it.

I've got the opposite problem - too much thyroid - and I get the jitters if I don't keep it under control with medicine. The bank probably wouldn't recognize my signature. That can drain your energy, too, making you so shaky you feel like your legs won't support you when you try to walk.

So the thyroid is an important organ, and it in turn is controlled by the pituitary gland in your head, which can be a big part of the problem. Endocrinology is an under-appreciated department of medicine.
Yes, the doctor explained to me that it's the brain that sending out signals. So I guess I guess the first thing I must do is get the nodule aspirated. But I'm scared that if it appears abnormal it may not be cancer. My family physician prescribed medication (forget what it was), but the endocrinologist said that if it was cancer or whatever, the medication wouldn't help. hmmm, wonder why. But then I'm not a doctor. So I'm not taking any meds yet, expecting to get another scan soon, and probably will get an aspiration soon. I really, really appreciate all of your support.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:26 PM

16,188 posts, read 16,261,798 times
For me personally, that would be a very big decision that I would not venture into lightly. I would try to find-out exactly what is going-on with my thyroid, if it could be saved, and if close monitoring would be a good option...............everybody should do what makes the most sense for themselves.

Old Today, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
For me personally, that would be a very big decision that I would not venture into lightly. I would try to find-out exactly what is going-on with my thyroid, if it could be saved, and if close monitoring would be a good option...............everybody should do what makes the most sense for themselves.
Yup. Thanks. I was astounded (taken aback) when the P.A. approached me after the tests and told me I need to have the entire thyroid removed if they found the node questionable upon aspiration. I thoought, What? I ain't doing that right away...

Old Today, 09:01 AM

479 posts, read 605,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Yup. Thanks. I was astounded (taken aback) when the P.A. approached me after the tests and told me I need to have the entire thyroid removed if they found the node questionable upon aspiration. I thoought, What? I ain't doing that right away...

You may want to join this group and discuss there:

https://www.inspire.com/groups/thyca...s-association/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness