U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 04:48 AM

579 posts, read 257,365 times

Advertisements

Now I am working and studying, everything as usual for the past 6 months, but I have to submit my final thesis in 3 weeks and the workload is harder. I can't sleep well due to stress and just is hard to fall asleep at nights. Any healthy suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 05:21 AM

496 posts, read 145,495 times
A melatonin supplement might help. I take a benadryl and/or a single sleeping pill every now and then to combat my insomnia issues.

No screens before bed helps (I do read my kindle paperwhite, but I'm talking about the bright phone / tablet screens).

Someone once mentioned holding your tongue in the middle of your mouth without touching anything. I think it focuses your brain or something, instead of letting it wander to all the things you need to do.

I also started writing down a list of things I need to do, so I they aren't in my brain while I try to remember them.

And I'll sing / chant - usually either the Sesame Street song, or my ABC's.

Wishing you luck this is a tough one....

Old 02-09-2019, 01:55 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,114,094 times
Melatonin is a good suggestion. There are some teas to help you relax before bed, too, and breathing exercises are a good thing to focus your mind and lower your heart rate. You can probably find some on YouTube. It also focuses your mind, but has physical effects as well.

It's only 3 weeks; you'll be OK.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,474,216 times
A small fan in the room to make white noise may help. Take an ibuprofen before bed. Make sure you get cardiovascular exercise during the day. This will help in 3 areas. It will help in memory and recall, it will lower stress level and it will help you sleep better. Detach you mind from your studies an hour before bed. Do something that takes your mind elsewhere and temporarily compartmentalize and isolate your studies and think about things you like to do such as hobbies, traveling, etc. In the morning re engage into your thesis and set short term goals. "By noon I will have X completed". Doesn't have to be perfect at first. You can push back through it later to edit and improve, but you want to have a complete structure in place in advance and then you have time to go back and re run through it. You'll be ready early because you have something you can deliver.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

15,845 posts, read 15,836,731 times
Inhaling cigarette-smoke/nicotine or drinking coffee too late into the night, I will sleep
very poorly.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

21,056 posts, read 7,081,993 times
Look in the Supplement area for a new post on Homeopathics and Insomnia.

Old Today, 08:36 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,173,805 times
It sounds too simple, but it works for me. Put yourself in a good sleeping posture and make yourself yawn a couple of times. Just thinking of yawning will make you want to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness